Do we need to trust our own ears more?
May 30, 2020 at 1:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

IEMusic

Headphoneus Supremus
This has been a problem for me for some time, and only after listening to several “phones” (headphones, IEMs, earbuds) am I starting to gain more confidence and understanding in what I’m hearing. While I don’t believe in a few select people having magical “golden ears”, there is much to be said for the experience gained by listening to a multitude of different phones. B/c we don’t have access to a lot of products, we have to depend on reviewers, as well as our peers, to steer us in the right direction, but ultimately, what we hear is all that matters to us individually.

This is where I think this hobby becomes personal. Why would we get in such heated arguments, that the moderators need to step in, over a pair of headphones? I think it often comes down to our own lack of confidence. We all hear things differently, but we too often forget this, so when we really like the sound of a product, and someone else criticizes it, we take as they are criticizing us. Then we bring into account the money that we spent on that item, and it really becomes personal. If we simply accept their opinion as just that, a personal opinion, and actually trust what we are hearing, it’s much easier to not get offended.

It also is important to realize that our own opinion is just that. I have no right to ridicule anyone else just because they really like, and perhaps spent a small fortune on something that I really don’t like. Even if most people agree with me, that doesn’t make their opinion any less valid. Where we can help each other out the most, is by pointing out the more objective characteristics of products, and also by helping people avoid some of the more deceptive marketing schemes. Though, if they go into the purchase with eyes open, and still like the product, and want to spend their money on it, who am I to criticize them?

Just some thoughts. I really hope this topic doesn’t become personal.

May 30, 2020 at 4:26 PM Post #5 of 21
Maybe I need to become a professional reviewer. Then my ears can be monetized and be owned by my vendors. Then I would not be able to trust my own ears...
Well, a lot of professional reviewers don’t stir up controversies b/c they publish mostly glowing reviews.

May 31, 2020 at 12:00 AM Post #6 of 21
I think graphs can help add an element of objectivity for judging the frequency reponse of an IEM. Though certain subjective areas like speed of driver, bass decay, timbre, details, imaging and instrument separation can't be gleaned from graphs alone.

Though all of us have different hearing health and ear anatomies, and trebleheadedness/treble sensitivity, so that may explain why some folks have different opinions on whether a particular IEM is harsh in the treble.

Even within bigname reviewers, some of em focus their grading more on technicalities, some on tonality, some on timbre, and some only listen to a narrow genre of music with a particular IEM. So would be good if we can follow some particular reviewers/fellow headfiers that u realize have similar tastes and preferences to gain a consensus too. But it would also behoof us to take a multitude of reviews on one IEM and the true rating of that IEM is probably the average of all the reviews.

Yeah but we shouldn't fight over inconsequential stuff like this when there's people dying of covid or having no jobs. Most important is to enjoy the music and we are united in our love for music.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2020 at 9:46 AM Post #10 of 21
Oh yeah. I trust reviewers too... only when and if they don't sound/write like second hand salesfolk. Ugh. Ofcourse there could always be a worse category, but I digress!

Ugh. Shitay sales pitches...beurk. lol

Jun 1, 2020 at 10:52 AM Post #11 of 21
I guess the point of what I posted is not to discredit reviewers In any way, but to boost our own confidence in what we hear and what we like. To realize that everyone hears things a little differently, and likes different things, so take any reviews as just that, the opinion of one person (though maybe a very astute and experienced person). I definitely agree with baskingshark, that it is very helpful to find a few reviewers who have the same tastes in music and tuning preferences, and follow them.

Jun 2, 2020 at 4:57 PM Post #13 of 21
I guess the point of what I posted is not to discredit reviewers In any way, but to boost our own confidence in what we hear and what we like. To realize that everyone hears things a little differently, and likes different things, so take any reviews as just that, the opinion of one person (though maybe a very astute and experienced person). I definitely agree with baskingshark, that it is very helpful to find a few reviewers who have the same tastes in music and tuning preferences, and follow them.
I learned a while ago to find a few Head-Fi types that you tend to agree with and follow their posts. Unfortunately, two of those are barely here any more (I miss Brooko and NMatheis). And for whatever reason, I don't see much from George Dobrescu but I think he has his own website now. I do pay attention to 1TrickPony by the way....

Jun 2, 2020 at 6:12 PM Post #15 of 21
I listen with my ears, not the graphs. I love the LCD 4s with no eq regardless of what some insist upon with Reveal. I listen to cans that emotionally move me and get me lost in the music. For instance, I sold the 800S because I found it clinical, not emotionally engaging.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back