Do Westone UM2 require a burn in?
Nov 8, 2005 at 7:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

TonyTripleA

500+ Head-Fier
Well I lost my etys. After two weeks without I ordered the Westone UM2s.

Would you believe the same hour I ordered the UM2s I looked under the car seat and found the Ety ER4Ps sitting on the floor.... life.... full of surprises....

So, today the UM2s turned up. Great, I thought (despite missing the 15% off price by about one day!!! Aghhhh!!!).

Yep they sound "nice". No really, not bad at all. But not quite the etymotic detail. Bass is reasonable. Treble is reasonable. But hang on a minute the price of about US$300 makes me wonder... are these babys going to get better.

Is there any improvement with burn in? I mean my sharp mdr33 are certainly a step below. My etys are "different" but perhaps to me a step above in detail and a sort of "clarity". Maybe its just me, but these seem pretty expensive for a very slight increase in bass over the etys.

That said, its early days.

Am I going to be surprised in a day or two?

Fill me in please.

TonyAAA

Nov 8, 2005 at 9:06 AM Post #2 of 7
I received the UM2's 5 days ago.. I wasn't that surprised actually, offcourse they are sharper compared to the E2C, with better lows and highs, but if it was worth the 300 dollars?

Now at the moment, while listening, I don't notice a big difference compared to a few days ago.. I just have to adapt the new sound of the UM2's..

I've been listening for about 10 hours, not quit a big burn-in
smily_headphones1.gif
.. but after 10 hours using the E2C's, I did encouter some nice improvements..

//edit: while listening to Avril Lavigne - I'm with you, or even Kelly Clarkson - Since you've been gone (really high voices imo :p), and you put the volume at the right spot, these devices are truly great.. it's just a matter of fact if you like the 'lack' of detail or not.. I don't have an Etymotic so I haven't got a clue..

Nov 8, 2005 at 9:28 AM Post #4 of 7
Well, two hours is not a lot of time but... there is a perceived bass increase. Now I am saying "wow" at albums I listened to earlier with just a "ho hum".

Dire Straits, Fleetwood Mac, Alan Parsons. Yep bass. Not bloated but very present.

I know its VERY early, but my initial dissappointment is now tempered with real enjoyment. Very musical. For relaxed enjoyment these earbuds will probably be my favourites, that two hours made some difference.

TonyAAA

Nov 8, 2005 at 12:24 PM Post #5 of 7
Ive noticed burn in! When I first got them the bass was deep but not as big as my ex71s - but about 3 weeks later I did a-b testing again and the bass of the UM2s shattered the ex71 in everyway.

I also think that treble is better now.

I also burnt in over night with some bass heavy music like bassment jaxx and prodigy and didnt really notice a thing - so next night put some string music that concerntraited on high end - and can comfirm that opened up the um2's a bit.

I think the bass drivers opened up before treble did. There was a time I got a dark sound - now I find them lively and I would not want them any more brighter than they are now!

Nov 8, 2005 at 1:03 PM Post #6 of 7
the burn in will be actually getting used the totally different sound of the um2s compared to the er-4.

took me about 1 or 2 days to appreciate the increased bass

Dec 28, 2012 at 4:58 AM Post #7 of 7
I am sorry for digging up a 7 year old thread. Actually I'm not I dont see what the deal is.

Just got mine having had my RE-262's die on me and I'm still undecided. I'll give the old lugs some time to get used to them and I've got the different flanges to use yet.

But I agree with the lack of clarity comment, not sure if I like them yet.

192kbps mp3 files sound absolutely horrid mind.

Not really noticed these having much bass. They dont even need an amp so ive now got two portable ones sat about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back