Do you guys feel COMPELLED to listen to music since you bought nice headphones?
Feb 27, 2013 at 7:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

seqasim

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

I've spent a lot of money on headphones (at least relative to income). I somehow feel like this compels me to use them everyday. Does this happen to you? How many hours a day do you end up listening to music?

Feb 27, 2013 at 7:27 PM Post #2 of 24
For me, I'd say partially.  I use my headphones mostly for movies and gaming, with a bit of music listening here and there.  To me, it feels that I'm collecting them for some reason.

Feb 27, 2013 at 7:59 PM Post #3 of 24
Definitely find myself listening to more music since buying some decent headphones, but I'm not sure I really feel like I am being compelled to do so just because I spent the money. It's more about rediscovering my music collection at this point. 

Feb 27, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #5 of 24
Definitely find myself listening to more music since buying some decent headphones, but I'm not sure I really feel like I am being compelled to do so just because I spent the money. It's more about rediscovering my music collection at this point. 

This. The HD650 had me rediscover my music once, then the HE-500 once again, and now with the Magni properly amping them I'm re-re-rediscovering my music collection.

Feb 27, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #6 of 24
Interesting question.

For me, no. I used to think, "Oh, I'll enjoy music so much more now that I'm listening to high quality headphones".

Wrong.

A lot of the headphones I've bought in the past have sat on my desk for days, even weeks at a time -- unused, untouched. I find I'm more of the kind that listens to music when the time is right, as opposed to "making time" for the music. When I'm compelled to seek it out is when I absolutely enjoy it the most, regardless of headphones used. While other times where I feel like I'm forcing myself simply because I have a higher end rig waiting for me, are usually the times that are forgettable, and sometimes even unpleasant. Being a couple years down the road in this hobby and buying lots of gear in the past, I've personally come to a position I find suits me best -- begin my journey down the speaker route, and have my trusty and true PX100-II at my side for those days I need/want headphones specifically.

After all, my speakers get FAR more use than my headphones ever will. Thanks, video games.

Feb 27, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #7 of 24
Quote:
This. The HD650 had me rediscover my music once, then the HE-500 once again, and now with the Magni properly amping them I'm re-re-rediscovering my music collection.

And if you have a pretty big collection, well... that's a lot of hours!

Feb 27, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #8 of 24
When I buy a new pair of headphones, it definitely rekindles an interest in some of my favorite old albums, and I usually do go out and buy a handful of new CDs. The problem for me is that I find it difficult to find new music that I like. Being outside the US, I don't have access to any of those free high quality streaming services, and commercial radio is just awful.

I'm often left disappointed with the quality of music these days too, and would really prefer the convenience of digital purchases rather than having to rip the CDs. But the selection of CD-quality or better downloads is so limited, and you often don't really know what you're getting.

But I use headphones for games & films all the time too, so it's not like they don't get a lot of use - I have headphones on all the time.

Speakers are problematic because I only get a short period of time from when I get home from work until it's too late to be listening to them at a reasonable volume. And I've yet to find any speakers that I like as much as headphones. Speakers are so problematic when it comes to setup and room treatments etc.

Feb 27, 2013 at 9:30 PM Post #9 of 24
If you buy a really nice car, you would probably be driving a lot more, or a super home theater, probably end up watching a lot more movies.

I don't see how is it any different with headphones.

You probably wouldn't buy nice headphones if you didn't enjoy music in the first place.

But like others, they've allowed me to discover really great music though.

Feb 27, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #10 of 24
Quote:
If you buy a really nice car, you would probably be driving a lot more, or a super home theater, probably end up watching a lot more movies.

I don't see how is it any different with headphones.

You probably wouldn't buy nice headphones if you didn't enjoy music in the first place.

But like others, they've allowed me to discover really great music though.

There will always be people out there who buy new gear to hear how they think it makes Dianna Krall Live in Paris sound, only to buy more stuff to again hear how that makes Dianna Krall sound.

Feb 27, 2013 at 10:22 PM Post #11 of 24
Quote:
Hi all,

I've spent a lot of money on headphones (at least relative to income). I somehow feel like this compels me to use them everyday. Does this happen to you? How many hours a day do you end up listening to music?

Sometimes I listen to music on my speakers.

And simply look at my headphones and gear.

Very best,

Feb 28, 2013 at 12:12 AM Post #12 of 24
I always look forward to the time when I will be able to immerse myself in the world of sound and making that experience even better is what drives my purchases, not the other way round.

There are days when I'm not able to do it: it is like missing out on one of the life's pleasures, not an unfulfilled duty.

Feb 28, 2013 at 1:03 AM Post #14 of 24
And if you have a pretty big collection, well... that's a lot of hours!

It's really just the stuff I cherish that wasn't recorded particularly poorly - The Magnetic Fields '69 Love Songs', Sonic Youth 'Experimental Jet Set Trash And No Star', etc.

Feb 28, 2013 at 1:04 AM Post #15 of 24
Quote:
I always look forward to the time when I will be able to immerse myself in the world of sound and making that experience even better is what drives my purchases, not the other way round.

There are days when I'm not able to do it: it is like missing out on one of the life's pleasures, not an unfulfilled duty.

This. I think this more accurately represents what I feel. Get out of my head, man!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back