Does Android Auto bitstream/passthrough audio?
Jan 17, 2023 at 6:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

dece870717

New Head-Fier
I've been very frustrated by trying to Google and find this kind of answer. I just want to know, if I'm playing music using my phone, through android auto, does it send raw untouched data to the car through the USB port, and then the cars audio player decodes the data/uses its own DAC, or what?

Also, I know android auto wired doesn't send music through Bluetooth, but when it comes to Android auto wireless it uses 5ghz wifi, so I'm assuming it's just sending raw data correct?

I'm just really confused as to the answer to a few of these questions, I know if you have something like an mp3 or wav file on a USB stick, plug it into the car, then obviously the cars internal audio components are handling everything, but how exactly does it all operate in Android auto? I mean is it just doing like a file transfer type deal?

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2023 at 2:01 AM Post #2 of 2
The phone is sending 2.0 (2-channels) of PCM digital audio thru USB (and Bluetooth?).
The car's audio player DAC changes the digital audio signal into analog audio signal, which is then sent to the amplifier(s).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back