Does anyone else have this issue with music?
Sep 20, 2012 at 8:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

zuk0v

New Head-Fier
Whenever I listen to music on my headphones, I have a lot of difficulty in creating a soundstage. This is specifically my problem:

When vocals and drums play through my headphones, they sound as if they are a single instrument, and I can place the singer / drummer somewhere around me if I close my eyes and let the music "surround" me. However, when stringed instruments play (specifically guitar), it sounds as if there are two separate guitarists playing exactly the same on either side of me. It sounds like the guitars are playing in mono. It's boring as hell. This probably goes without saying, but it's not nearly as satisfying as when the drums kick in and I can "feel" the drummer around me.

Has anyone else experienced this / know what the hell I'm referring to / know what the issue is?

Shawn

(320kbps mp3's -> fiio e7 + e9 -> h650)

Sep 20, 2012 at 9:02 AM Post #2 of 6
That's most likely the decision of the person who mastered the recording. What kind of hp's are you using btw?

Sep 20, 2012 at 9:56 AM Post #3 of 6
Sounds like the source materials are either poorly mastered or poorly compressed, or that you have some defect in the functionality of your equipment.

Find some demo recordings that test left/right signals and separation to insure you are receiving a stereo signal to your cans.
Try plugging into a different source, perhaps a receiver, to see if your cans perform any differently.

This may help isolate the cause of the problem to the source or cables or amp or headphones.

Sennheiser HD6x0 series should have plenty of separation and sound stage.

Dec 29, 2012 at 11:45 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:
so zuk0v, did you ever get this sorted?
Curious as to whether you found it to be the source or the cans . . . .

Not really. I kind of accepted the fact that my left ear "hears" slightly different than my right ear. I've noticed this ever since I was younger and while talking on the phone, a person's voice would sound noticeably different in one ear compared to the other. I think my brain translates that "slightly different" sound in my left ear as a completely different guitar compared to my right ear.

Weird problem, I know, but I doubt I'll ever get it "fixed". Thanks for checking in though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back