Does being more warm = musical?
Feb 22, 2015 at 4:58 AM Post #2 of 7
For my DT990 600 ohm I use my Beyer A20 amp. It's a solid state amp but with a slight touch of warmth to it. Compared to say an O2 amp from JDS Labs it does make the DT990 more musical and more lively to listen to. So in my case warm means musical, but I don't know if that's a general thing though.

Feb 22, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #3 of 7
Warm means the sound is heavy on the lower frequencies. That doesn't make it more musical, and I don't even know what musical would mean in this context. If it's music, it's musical.

Feb 22, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #4 of 7
Not outright... its a broad / general term for which each member has their own set of criteria to further define the word.  Grados for example are often described as being musical, but they certainly are not bass-heavy.  HD600 I have seen described as being musical, and it also is not what I would consider bass heavy.

Feb 22, 2015 at 2:49 PM Post #5 of 7
Warm does not necessarily equal musical.  Note that everyone has a different definition of "warm" and "musical". 

For my time in audio, warm means a frequency response of a raised midrange and midbass compared to the treble.  Additionally, the midrange might have a little even order distortion that creates a pleasing bloom or lusciousness to the sound.  Read this article since you were interested in amp musicality.
- http://www.decware.com/paper07.htm
- http://www.decware.com/paper08.htm
Just one opinion of a respected amp designer above.

Musical is practically impossible to define ...  too many opinions here.  The satisfaction of this hobby is finding YOUR definition of musical in terms of sound characteristics.  Then find what specs/design in amps, speakers, headphones create those sound characteristics.  Unless you are a reviewer, you should not worry about what sounds good in general, just what sounds good to you.  Your ears, your music, your smile!

Good luck!

Feb 22, 2015 at 2:58 PM Post #6 of 7
Musicality is mostly related to Timing i.e. PRaT and is about the natural and right flowing of music..
Euphony is the pleasant coloration of music, which is usually an added warmth to the mids..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back