Does Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO 250 ohm's need amping?
Jan 26, 2014 at 10:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

retskrad

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm thinking about buying a Fiio E12f or my DT 990 PRO 250 ohm's, but I'm not sure if its necessary because through my iphone 4s, the volume is very high, way higher than what I listen to and I feel like the bass and soundstage is very good, I like the highs too.

But everywhere I read people saying these headphones really need amping. Without an amp, these headphones would have sound quality compared to 50-100 dollars headphones people claim. I thought an amplifier only made it louder? What else would the E12 improve on? 

Jan 26, 2014 at 4:22 PM Post #2 of 2
  I'm thinking about buying a Fiio E12f or my DT 990 PRO 250 ohm's, but I'm not sure if its necessary because through my iPhone 4s, the volume is very high, way higher than what I listen to and I feel like the bass and sound stage is very good, I like the highs too.

But everywhere I read people saying these headphones really need amping. Without an amp, these headphones would have sound quality compared to 50-100 dollars headphones people claim. I thought an amplifier only made it louder? What else would the E12 improve on? 

The FiiO E12 should bring out the best in the DT880 Pro 250-Ohm.
But for the price you pay for the FiiO E12, it might be better to sell off the DT990s and put all of your budget for some lower Ohm (30-Ohm to 40-Ohm) headphones, that would work easily plugged straight into the iPhone, like Philips X1s Fidelio or Audio Technica AD900X.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back