Does the latest iPod Classic sound similar to Clip+?
Aug 26, 2012 at 12:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 60

Silver

500+ Head-Fier
I have kinda given my mother my Clip+ as I end up preferring my Galaxy Nexus with Poweramp EQ sound to the flat sound of Clip+. I am concerned that I will feel the same about iPod Classic. I have been strictly headphone out only as I prefer not to mess with LOD and amp as that would be another significant spending. I am asking if any fellow head fi er has listened to both Clip+ and IPC and can answer my question in mind. Thanks. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 26, 2012 at 3:51 PM Post #2 of 60
Without rockboxing, IPC has more power. Clip+ (rockboxed) sound good and can drive earphones way louder than IPC, but also sounds more aggressive than IPC IMO. But the good thing is you can always EQ it. You can also rockbox IPC too which will make it sound identical and have the same functions as the rockboxed clip.

I am sure you heard of that IPC sounds like cold boiled water :) not much of emotions but present music as the way it is.

Jan 23, 2013 at 6:46 AM Post #4 of 60
IPod has cleaner flatter sound, clip+ is warmer. Rock box the classic

Jan 23, 2013 at 6:52 AM Post #5 of 60
What a bunch of non-sense. I own a Clip+, and iPod Classic and a Galaxy Nexus as well.

The Clip+ and the iPod Classic are both completely neutral and thus sound the same. The iPod has more output power than the Clip+ (not less) [*], but has a higher output impedance (5.5Ω vs. 0.5Ω) which can affect some headphones / IEMs with non-flat impedance curves. Both can run Rockbox, and you can use Rockbox's EQ.

The Galaxy Nexus doesn't measure as well as either of those and has a worse ouput impedance of 12.5Ω.

[*] european iPods are volume capped though, in order to comply with a french law, but that cap can be removed with Rockbox.

Jan 23, 2013 at 7:01 AM Post #6 of 60
lmao just because a device is neutral does not mean they will sound exactly the same :wink:. Just as you can't hear a difference between these devices doesn't mean randomkid can't. Maybe it's just a limitation of your hearing or even your gear :p.

Jan 23, 2013 at 7:02 AM Post #7 of 60
What a bunch of non-sense. I own a Clip+, and iPod Classic and a Galaxy Nexus as well.

The Clip+ and the iPod Classic are both completely neutral and thus sound the same..

What about the soundstage and imaging skampie babes? How come I hear differences in those areas, and timbre, separation, dynamics, note thickness, detailing levels...etc.

Jan 23, 2013 at 7:09 AM Post #9 of 60
Quote:
You keep saying that, but you never give any objective, scientific reasons for your empty claims. Keep laughing dude.

I will keep laughing. ;'-)...

There is so much more to it than just squiggly lines on a graph. Even things that can't be appropriately measured yet in relation to human hearing. As H20 mentions there are other factors of sound to take into account such as timbre, imaging, sound stage depth and width, separation, dynamics, note thickness/decay, prat, detailing levels. If one doesn't value these things then one doesn't value music on the level that many of us "supposed audiophiles do". My cousin is a good example of that. Just as most people are. Sound is sound to them. They can't differentiate or more so don't care to. That's ok I could give a rat's-ass what they think. All that matters is the enjoyment I get from my music. After-all it is a hobby for me.

Jan 23, 2013 at 7:24 AM Post #14 of 60
Quote:
You're just hopeless, if you can't even learn from more knowledgeable people than you. Did you even read that link?

rolleyes.gif

Actually it is your outlook on everything audio that is hopeless. It's almost downright depressing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back