Does the Schiit Lyr require 'biasing'...?
Jan 7, 2012 at 12:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

cactus_farmer

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm have no clue what 'biasing' is, other than it's a maintenance procedure that tube amps apparently require.

I asked Schiit if the user is require to 'bias' the Lyr every few years (or, indeed, whenever you're supposed to 'bias' a tube amp) - and he replied 'bias is set by current source.' I have no idea what that means!!

If any of you guys own the Schiit Lyr, does it say in the manual (or do you otherwise know) if/how/when you're meant to bias the amp.

Thanks in advance!!

Jan 7, 2012 at 1:29 PM Post #2 of 4
You will never need to adjust the bias of the amplifier in normal operation.

Jan 7, 2012 at 2:00 PM Post #4 of 4

Quote:
I was thinking it needed to happen when changing tubes, and some tube amps don't need it because they are 'auto-biasing...'

Wondering if the Schiit Lyr is

As long as you use tubes belonging to the same ECC88/E88CC.... family, you don't have to worry about biasing.

Schiit sells tubes which are matched and balanced on a curve tracer, so this might imply that as long as you use matched and balanced tubes, you are good to go.

BTW, there is a prevailing school of thought which suggests that preamp tubes never have to be matched. Only Power output tubes have to be matched.
The rationale is that the sonic difference betwen using matched pairs vs unmatched pairs of preamp tubes is below the threshold of normal human hearing.
I have to say that I subscribe to such a theory because I have ever used the same brand of matched and unmatched preamp tubes and cannot hear an iota of difference!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back