DPS on off switch location
Oct 19, 2009 at 3:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Jalo

Headphoneus Supremus
I have the BUDA+UDAC+DPS setup and I find the location of the on off swtich on the DPS to be very user unfriendly unless you just leave it on all the time.

The UDAC has the on/off switch on the front, The BUDA has it on the back (upper right corner) but it is still relatively easy to reach, but the DPS is hidden in the bottom and next to the power input cables. Frequently I have to get up and reach into the back to turn it on and off and since I use an upgrade power cord that has a large connector, the on off switch is half covered. And many times the switch get stuck in the middle position, ie not on or off which casue some concern if I will accidentally short circuit the DPS.

It will be nice if the on/off switches of all three components are located in the front for easy operation. Just some feedback from a fan of headroom.

Oct 20, 2009 at 1:00 AM Post #2 of 11
I feel the same way about the DPS. There's nothing on the front and yet, the on/off switch is so difficult to reach during real world use. I assume that it must mean that the switch isn't really intended for regular use and that I can leave it on all the time. I currently do just that!

Oct 20, 2009 at 4:48 AM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by aimlink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I feel the same way about the DPS. There's nothing on the front and yet, the on/off switch is so difficult to reach during real world use. I assume that it must mean that the switch isn't really intended for regular use and that I can leave it on all the time. I currently do just that!

Well the issue is not whether one can leave it on all the time or not, I know I can do that but I rather save some electricity and may be avoid wearing the DPS down prematurely.

Oct 21, 2009 at 6:43 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jalo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well the issue is not whether one can leave it on all the time or not, I know I can do that but I rather save some electricity and may be avoid wearing the DPS down prematurely.

Sometimes for longevity it's best to leave certain components on all the time, you might check with HeadRoom Tech Support. I suspect they designed it that way because they want you to leave it on 24/7.

Oct 22, 2009 at 5:03 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by USAudio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sometimes for longevity it's best to leave certain components on all the time, you might check with HeadRoom Tech Support. I suspect they designed it that way because they want you to leave it on 24/7.

Hi All,

We have some of our HeadRoom DPS units around here that have been left on for YEARS without any issues
biggrin.gif

Of course, for power savings, turning off the DPS/amps/DACs is the way to go...

Cheers,
Jorge
HR Sales/product Manager

Oct 22, 2009 at 6:13 PM Post #6 of 11
Actually the reason we use the switch on the back of the DPS is because when you route 110VAC on the board to a switch on the front panel you have to have it separately certifiec as safe by UL (underwriters labs) for sale and export. By using the power switch on the power entry module, the safety certification comes with the power entry module and doesn't have to be re-certified.

The power switch on the other units are turning on and off +/- 15 VDC so don't have to be safety certified.

FWIW, UL certification isn't cheap---I think Joe looked into it at one point and it was like $10,000,
eekers.gif
, plus you had to send in 10 units for destructive testing as well.
bncry.gif

FWIW, I often put the stuff I want to switch off on a separate plug-strip and switch it off from there. There's really a "right" order to turn things on and off, but I don't worry about that too much --- HeadRoom gear is pretty well behaved so it's pretty safe to do so. The only exception is that I mute my power amps befor I turn everything on or off.

Oct 26, 2009 at 9:14 PM Post #7 of 11
Tyll -- just to clarify: you do or do not recommend turning the DPS off and on?

Oct 26, 2009 at 10:11 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hatmann /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tyll -- just to clarify: you do or do not recommend turning the DPS off and on?

Well ... I recommend turning it off if you're not using it for more than a few hours or so. Why use the energy if you aren't using it?

But it won't hurt it to leave it on all the time, if you so choose ... or, I should say, you won't notice a degradation of performance for 2 or 3 decades, or something like that.

Oct 9, 2012 at 2:34 PM Post #9 of 11
Old thread, but a question.  I turn on the DPS first, then the UDAC, followed by the BUDA.  I do the same in reverse.  I assume you recommend not just turning the DPS on and off.  Is that the case?  If it didn't matter, that sure would be easier than reaching around the back of the BUDA, then going to the front of the UDAC, followed by the back of the DPS to turn off.  Thanks!

Oct 15, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #10 of 11
Hi Jonathan, Always great to hear from ya!... :) Even though i've gotten pretty familiar with the 'reach-around', I've normally leave my DPS on all the time here at the office and only turn off the DAC and amp.... So far so good -- and its been quite a few yrs! Best, jorge HeadRoom VP jorge@headphone.com

Oct 23, 2012 at 9:04 AM Post #11 of 11
Thanks, Jorge.  It's not that big of a deal, just curious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back