Driving Swan M200 MKIII speakers with the WA3's pre-amp...............
Dec 15, 2011 at 11:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Laciel

New Head-Fier
Hi, super noob here, im about to get the WA3 with the pre-amp, and because of I'm a noob, not sure what I'm planning to do with the preamp is right(or safe lol), can i connect my swan m200 MKIII to it? Well ofcus the main reason for the WA3 is to drive my new HD 650

my setup is gonna be:
HT omega halo claro analog out(temporary DAC)--->WA3---->HD 650 & m200 MKIII

Thanks.

Dec 16, 2011 at 4:01 AM Post #2 of 13

Quote:
Hi, super noob here, im about to get the WA3 with the pre-amp, and because of I'm a noob, not sure what I'm planning to do with the preamp is right(or safe lol), can i connect my swan m200 MKIII to it? Well ofcus the main reason for the WA3 is to drive my new HD 650

my setup is gonna be:
HT omega halo claro analog out(temporary DAC)--->WA3---->HD 650 & m200 MKIII

Thanks.

You can without a problem, i'm currently using an Audio-GD C2 as a preamp in input of my Swan M200 MKIII, all is working perfectly, no gain problem, just be aware to set the volume to 0 on the WA3 and switch on your setup in this order :
1. DAC
2. Preamp
3. Swan M200 MKIII

EnjoY your music !

Jan 8, 2012 at 11:29 PM Post #4 of 13
just curious, the Swans are active and they can go pretty loud and clear, is there a need for another preamp? whats the benefit? 

Jan 9, 2012 at 1:03 AM Post #5 of 13

Quote:
just curious, the Swans are active and they can go pretty loud and clear, is there a need for another preamp? whats the benefit? 

Well my sound card have only 1 pair RCAs out, for me to hook up both headphones and speaker at the same time, i need the preamp in my wa3, i don't think there's any major sonic improvement to swans, it's just more convinient for me.

Jan 9, 2012 at 10:45 AM Post #6 of 13
i see, thats good then, if you have told me that there was a sonic improvement, then I would've put another dent in my wallet haha.
tongue.gif

Quote:
Well my sound card have only 1 pair RCAs out, for me to hook up both headphones and speaker at the same time, i need the preamp in my wa3, i don't think there's any major sonic improvement to swans, it's just more convinient for me.

Jan 17, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #8 of 13

Quote:
Laciel, just out of curiousity, how does the M200 sound when using the WA3 as a preamp? 

After using them for a week, i do notice difference , as you may know the m200 have a very forward sound stage, with the w3 the sound stage is wider.

Jan 17, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #10 of 13
Swans MKIII are already slightly warm and with the combination of tubes in the setup yields a very pleasing sound for me. Tubes + Swans are a great combination for sure. 

Jan 18, 2012 at 1:38 AM Post #11 of 13

Quote:
Very interesting.  Does it warm the sound at all?

Now that you asked, it did a comparing test,

halo claro with LME49720NA opamps--->M200= Forwarded and sound stage, very detailed, the bass is a bit too punchy for my taste, probrabry because i swapped out the opamps, as the LME49720NA is pretty bright.

halo claro---->m200=a less forwarded, wider sound stage, a bit less detailed, but smooth and warm, bass is tamed, just as eclipes said, it's very pleasing

Users who are viewing this thread

Back