DT-1350: a worthwhile step up from the HD25, or a sideways move?
May 12, 2014 at 2:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

CJG888

Headphoneus Supremus
Having more or less arrived at a collection of fullisze cans (dynamic, planar magnetic and electrostatic) which meet all of my musical needs, I have turned to updating my portable system.

The first step was the acquisition of a Sony PHA-1 in order to enjoy the capacity and UI of my trusty iPod Classic, albeit with vastly improved SQ. At the moment, I am either using it with full-size cans or with HD25s. I listen exclusively to classical and jazz. Whilst the HD25s aren't bad (they are especially good at blocking out aircraft noise, and are comfortable with glasses), I do feel that they are lacking in transparency when compared to, say, HD600s, Grados or the DT-48. I dislike wearing IEMs (uncomfortable).

Here in China, DT-1350s (facelift, coiled cable) are available for about RMB 1,400 (USD 225). I have read that they are highly transparent but lack bass and dynamics. Is this the case? Does their transparency approach that of the DT-48e? I have also read that they are extremely uncomfortable when worn with glasses. If this is the case, that will rule them out. If I make this purchase, they will need to replace the HD25 as my in-flight can of choice...

I have also noticed that there seem to be an enormous number of DT-1350s on sale secondhand. Does this mean that owners are having difficulty getting the best from them?

Ultimately, will they do everything the HD25s do, only with greater transparency and resolution? Will they be good enough to render it unnecessary to take fullsize cans on longer trips? If so, there will be a pair of HD25s (mint condition with Oyaide cable) for sale soon!

Finally is there any SQ difference between the straight cable and coiled cable versions?

May 12, 2014 at 6:51 AM Post #2 of 7
While I can't compare to the DT-48 I think the DT1350 is more refined, has smoother treble, much lower reaching bass and much less midbass hump than the HD25.

Comfort is a bit of a trouble spot with the DT1350: its targeted at DJs and live sound engineers where the last bit of isolation is really important and a secure fit necessary.

You might also want to take a look at the T51p, kind of the consumer-brother of the DT1350, currently receiving high praise all around (check e.g. the thread by @MacedonianHero on portable headphones at Comparisons: 16 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around ). Its much more comfortable but has a bit smoother sound signature, a little more upper bass, softer treble than the DT1350, which, to my ears, is a bit less opinionated.

May 12, 2014 at 9:17 AM Post #3 of 7
Thank you. Food for thought.

How is the T51p more comfortable? I thought the cups were identical...

As for the balance, how does it compare? Above all, I am looking for detail, resolution and midrange clarity. Are the T51p not based on the T50p, the headphones with a frequency response like the Himalayas and the comfort of a medieval torture device?

May 12, 2014 at 2:17 PM Post #4 of 7
The cup size and form is identical I think. The pads are thicker and much softer on the T51p and it uses a clamping force of 2.5N (the DT1350 has 5.5N, so it exerts much more force).

I think the T51p has an excellent midrange, in no way aggressive (neither is its reble aggressive), but not laid back in the sense of slow or dull. Personally I like the DT1350 a bit more due to its more linear frequency response, but I may have been lucky: many claim that they heard variances when auditioning different DT1350s.

Yes, the T51p is the successor of the T50p, but Beyer changed the drivers, obviously recognizing the faults of the original version (which I've never heard I have to add). They just released a T51i, a variant with an iPhone-compatible remote+mic. The cable is fixed though, so if your device has problems with TRRS-connectors maybe stay away from the 'i' variant.

May 12, 2014 at 9:44 PM Post #5 of 7
Judging from your post, I presume you have both the DT-1350 and the T 51p. Have you had a chance to try the T51p pads on the DT-1350s?

May 13, 2014 at 11:30 AM Post #6 of 7
Yes, I do own both but am a bit wary of switching pads. I replaced the original pads with the larger pads which were available as an accessory and later became default on the facelift edition. The pads are held in place by some adhesive and came off 2 or 3 times after the change. I'm glad they now stay in place and don't want to disturb them any further :wink:
Besides that I don't think the softer T51p pads will hold up well under the much stronger clamp of the DT1350 (as mentioned its more than 2x as strong).

May 13, 2014 at 4:39 PM Post #7 of 7
Thank you. Food for thought.

How is the T51p more comfortable? I thought the cups were identical...

As for the balance, how does it compare? Above all, I am looking for detail, resolution and midrange clarity. Are the T51p not based on the T50p, the headphones with a frequency response like the Himalayas and the comfort of a medieval torture device?

Lol as someone who has endured the T50p I laughed a lot about this quick-review. Spot on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back