DT 1990 Pro - Uncomfortable and treble too high -- What about HD 800S? (re: gaming/music)
Aug 15, 2023 at 2:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

jklimek

New Head-Fier
I've had the Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro headphones for about six months (paired with Monoprice Liquidspark Amp+DAC and Dekoni Elite Velour pads) and I'm not too happy.

They are quite uncomfortable on my ears (it seems they are touching my ears no matter how I adjust them) and the treble on certain songs is absolutely ear-piercing. I've tried to EQ them and it can definitely help but the fact they aren't physically comfortable really bothers me.

I'm considering selling them for the Sennheiser HD 800S. I know they are much more expensive but they seem to have larger ear openings and they seem to have been (or still are?) the gold standard. I've also seen other expensive recommendations but for some reason I'm gravitating towards the 800s.

Do they sound like a good fit based on my issues with the 1990s?

Are they good for gaming and music (pop and some light rap/hip-hop)?

I've also dreamed of using these with a Realiser A16 for surround sound but that's absolutely out of my price range!

Aug 15, 2023 at 2:47 PM Post #2 of 9
The 800S is lightweight and comfortable, but while the pad openings are wide, the depth to the foam is not--it's possible your ears will still end up touching.

They are good for gaming but can be bass light for some, myself included.

Aug 15, 2023 at 3:09 PM Post #4 of 9
You can find or fit deeper/thicker pads on them but it probably won't tame the treble enough based on what you've said.

I think another pair of headphones is probably the right move for you, and I know the HD800S is alluring because so many people hype it up, but there are lots of great headphones out there.

Assuming your DT1990 is in mint condition and includes the box, both pads, and cables, it's worth about $300.

Aug 21, 2023 at 7:38 AM Post #5 of 9
Hi

The HD800S are comfortable, perhaps only second to the DCA AEONs, which for me are the gold standard for comfort in headphones, accounting for weight, the memory foam pads, everything. Nonetheless, comfort is undoubtedly subjective and your experience may differ.

If your issue is the pad depth and your genres are hip hop and pop, and you are treble sensitive, then, consider the following:

HD800S may no be for you because of their treble and because pads are shallow.

The HIFIMAN series could be a possibility but they are bright for some people, although not as much as the DT1990 and the HD800S. Their pads are huge and I still have not read someone complaining comfort issues regarding small size. They are good for pop.

The LCD series could be a good fit for you because they are not bright; some people like me have the LCD-X and we EQ to have more treble. So, in that sense you won’t have issues. Their pads are very deep and I think is unlikely that they’ll touch your ears. In addition, their bass makes them a good headphone for pop and hip hop. The big downside is that their heavy and put strain on the neck that some people find uncomfortable.

The Focal Elex/Clear may be your headphone too. They’re very dynamic and nice for pop and hip hop. They’re not bright and provide good comfort. Pads are deeper than HD800S and the DT1990, though smaller than the HiFimans and the Audezes.

Aug 23, 2023 at 10:43 PM Post #7 of 9
I'd recommend the Hifiman Ananda Stealth over the HD800s having had both. The new Ananda has better imaging than the original, and just a complete blast for gaming. It's well rounded, and some EQ in a music player will add some bass easily. On a good stack you can hear all around you in games and pinpoint a rooftop sniper without even having to look, they're exceptional. Haven't found a genre of music that's not fun with them either. The headband is the ski style which distributes the weight, and the pads are comfortable and big enough for any ears.

Aug 24, 2023 at 12:04 AM Post #8 of 9
You may want to consider researching
The Focal Celestee or Focal Clear, Audeze LCD-X, LCD-2 Classic, LCD-2 Closed Back. They were engaging, and easy to drive. The LCD-X was my favorite of the bunch.

All recommendations were great for hip hop and immersion for gaming. The Audeze LCD-GX are also worth looking into and a bit lighter than the LCD-X. I wouldn't let the weight deter me from any of Audeze's offerings. You can find them in great condition in the classifieds, or opt for their B stock sales if there are budgetary constraints.

Aug 24, 2023 at 3:20 AM Post #9 of 9
If you find the treble of dt1990 troublesome I'm not sure the hd800 is the route you wanna go (though I've only demo'd, and not side by side, so my impression might be completely wrong).

Not heard it myself but you might want to try the Dekoni Elite Velour padswap measured here, seems to smooth out the most egregious peak. also in the conclusion mentions drivers are further from ears so maybe a comfort improvement for you (perhaps compare with your EQ to see if this is the zone you'd want changed): https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/brands-a-i/dt-1990-pro/

(IDK if it's advisible in this case but sometimes stretching the headband out a smidge can help with comfort issues. Another option is to add some material as a spacer to the inner side of the cushion so the drive/baffle face sits further away, though may impact sound undesirably- (not tried on DT series))

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back