DT-48
Oct 29, 2011 at 7:39 PM Post #31 of 71
By the way, here is the frequency curve showing bass at 20hz, notice the flatline on that graph.
http://imageshack.us/f/403/20090429101844112page10.jpg/

between what other people hear, I heard from DT48e and DT48, and Tyll measured them to repro, and what you say we should hear, an old marketing brochure from god knows how long back and measured god knows how (and after who knows how many driver/earpad/etc versions), I'm not inclined to trust the last two in the slightest.

Oct 29, 2011 at 8:26 PM Post #32 of 71
Just keep telling yourself that DT48 are the best dynamic headphones ever and perception becomes reality. 

Oct 29, 2011 at 8:43 PM Post #33 of 71

Quote:
Hahaha look who's talking, listen and the bass will be revealed and not forced at you.

For people who are new to the hobby, I just want to make it clear that the DT48 was not designed for music listening.  While there are a handful of people who really enjoy them for music, the purely midcentric sound won't do anything for most listeners.

They were designed to make things as audible as possible in the vocal range, and that is the one thing they do spectacularly well.  For the majority of people, that is the only thing they do well.  I tried mine for months, and while I could sometimes get used to them a little, any song with genuine bass just sounded thin and weedy.  Bass drums don't sound like bass drums, bass guitar doesn't sound like bass guitar, and low brass also doesn't sound at all natural.

Before there's another statement about room reflections and other nonsense, I don't spend much time listening to music in anechoic chambers, and nobody else does either.  Bass sounds like bass because it reflects around, and that's part of building an accurate listening experience.

Also, the Sony DR-Z6 kicks the butt of both the DT48 and the Pioneer Monitor 10.

Oct 29, 2011 at 9:20 PM Post #34 of 71
The DT48's have absolutely no bass if the seal isn't perfect. That's probably their downfall, and why the graphs show the abysmal bass. They do have bass as I said, but it takes a lot to coax it out, and even then, it lacked the body to make it sound realistic. Also, a 120ohm adapter is basically essential for the lower ohm'ed ones. The DT48's are basically a one trick pony, and they don't always do even that right.

The DR-Z7 is something I really have to try if the Z6 are any indication to how they'll sound.

Oct 29, 2011 at 11:22 PM Post #35 of 71

Quote:

The DR-Z7 is something I really have to try if the Z6 are any indication to how they'll sound.

Although there isn't enough information out there to be certain, it looks like they just have different colours. Mine came with a manual, and it's for both types, and all the specs and information is identical. 

Oct 30, 2011 at 1:54 AM Post #36 of 71
Oh, you still can't hear the bass?  maybe you should wet the cup edges before you start to wear them.....If others can hear the bass, something must be wrong with your fit, these are over ears and should go over ears, same with the Skullcandy Aviators, let me repeat it OVER EARS.

Oct 30, 2011 at 2:24 AM Post #37 of 71

Quote:
Oh, you still can't hear the bass?  maybe you should wet the cup edges before you start to wear them.....If others can hear the bass, something must be wrong with your fit, these are over ears and should go over ears, same with the Skullcandy Aviators, let me repeat it OVER EARS.

Lots of sound argument and logic here.....................somewhere?

Must of missed something, not quite sure where the SK Aviators reference came from, are they used for audio-metric purposes?

Lets re-cap. We now have a thin sounding headphone, not designed for music listening whatsoever and wet ears.  Sorry, wet area AROUND THE EARS.

For the people new to this hobby, beware of obsessive, delusional opinion.

Oct 30, 2011 at 3:12 AM Post #39 of 71

Quote:
Beware of those who imply that more expensive gears are better,  that is not always true. The Skullcandy Aviators is a perfect example of how you guys were wrong,

It is these all incompassing statements that will get you a challenge response.  Who is "you guys"?  Do all the people at Headfi (except you obviously) have the same opinion and position?  I don't think so. For what it is worth I actually think that the Aviator isn't too bad, but there are people that disagree with that, and think they are still a waste of money.  So who is wrong?  And what do you base that statement on?

If you think the DT48 is the best dynamic headphone ever, then all power to you.  I just think you should only make that claim after you have heard a lot of the "better" dynamics, and then you should still expect disagreement as many that have heard the DT48 clearly don't agree.  My advice, take it or leave it, is moderate your claims.

Happy Listening.

Oct 30, 2011 at 9:20 AM Post #41 of 71

Quote:
The DT48 is not just any dynamic headphones, starting from the aluminum drivers to the domes, they are simply better. They are the world's first dynamic stereo headphones and are still the best. Electrostats are nothing like these and will never come close to the realism of the DT48.

Quote:
Then I would say that you do not hear what is real, and prefer to hear what you want to hear period.

Quote: 
Yes not forgetting the K340 an the Monitor 10, The point is that Vintage is astoundingly better sounding as compared to most if not all of today's modern headphones.

Quote:

Thanks for your insights maniac, it's OK I don't think you're delusional, I will try the DT-48 and Pioneer 10 when I have the chance, and thanks for linking to the cool vintage document!

Oct 30, 2011 at 10:07 AM Post #42 of 71
The problem is not that Maniacal71 likes his DT48. His/her profile says nothing about his/her experience with headphones and set ups. Kernmac's profile does not tell a lot either so who are you going believe?

Agreed on giving the DT48 and Monitor 10 a try. At least then you get a good impression...

Oct 30, 2011 at 11:11 AM Post #43 of 71

Quote:

Lots of sound argument and logic here.....................somewhere?

Must of missed something, not quite sure where the SK Aviators reference came from, are they used for audio-metric purposes?

Lets re-cap. We now have a thin sounding headphone, not designed for music listening whatsoever and wet ears.  Sorry, wet area AROUND THE EARS.

For the people new to this hobby, beware of obsessive, delusional opinion.

Well, the wetting the area around the ears might have the same effect as wetting IEM tips, but regardless, I can't really see how the fit would be immensely better. The seal might improve though.

Oct 30, 2011 at 12:16 PM Post #44 of 71

Quote:
Well, the wetting the area around the ears might have the same effect as wetting IEM tips, but regardless, I can't really see how the fit would be immensely better. The seal might improve though.

Have you done a sound sweep on the DT48A? Do you find it rolled off at 20Hz, I don't, I'm on DT48 25Ω, yours at 5Ω should have no problem picking that out. Also the recess of the oval ear pads should accommodate the whole ear. If only you would try to swap those circular pads to the ovals.

Oct 30, 2011 at 1:18 PM Post #45 of 71
If you want the definitive review of the DT-48E-25, modern version, go to B&H, DT-48E-25 review, the first review by the Canadian guy.  Everything you need to know and doesn't waste your time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back