DT-880 (32ohm) just lost 75% volume in right ear.
Jul 11, 2013 at 3:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Gnawbert

100+ Head-Fier
Hi All,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I bought a pair of Beyerdynamic DT-880's (32ohm) last October as they fit most of my needs. They're my first real entry into the world of high end audio, and I've absolutely loved them. I use them with my Macbook, my iPad, my iPhone, and they've been just wonderful. I've even found myself going back and exploring music I haven't listened to in years with a completely new appreciation (Nirvana Unplugged, I'm talking to you.)

However, just this afternoon something weird happened. I seem to have lost 75% of the volume in my right headphone. I can hear the music, but suddenly the soundstage is just... gone. It's like a whisper. I was running it off my iPhone (listening to Emancipator at medium volume) and it's like the balance got thrown off. I checked all my settings, plugged it into my iPad, my Macbook, same thing, which leads me to suspect that something inside my headphone itself went Ka-Blam!

Anyways, I'm not exactly able to afford a new set of headphones, especially not 9 months after buying these. Any thoughts on fixes or what might be wrong? I'm at a loss for what to do, and since I reside in South Korea, my options of swinging by service shops that are familiar with these headphones is pretty slim.

Cheers!

Jul 11, 2013 at 3:39 AM Post #2 of 5
Quote:
Hi All,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I bought a pair of Beyerdynamic DT-880's (32ohm) last October as they fit most of my needs. They're my first real entry into the world of high end audio, and I've absolutely loved them. I use them with my Macbook, my iPad, my iPhone, and they've been just wonderful. I've even found myself going back and exploring music I haven't listened to in years with a completely new appreciation (Nirvana Unplugged, I'm talking to you.)

However, just this afternoon something weird happened. I seem to have lost 75% of the volume in my right headphone. I can hear the music, but suddenly the soundstage is just... gone. It's like a whisper. I was running it off my iPhone (listening to Emancipator at medium volume) and it's like the balance got thrown off. I checked all my settings, plugged it into my iPad, my Macbook, same thing, which leads me to suspect that something inside my headphone itself went Ka-Blam!

Anyways, I'm not exactly able to afford a new set of headphones, especially not 9 months after buying these. Any thoughts on fixes or what might be wrong? I'm at a loss for what to do, and since I reside in South Korea, my options of swinging by service shops that are familiar with these headphones is pretty slim.

Cheers!

You should send them back to Beyerdynamic since they are still under warranty. The problem is probably in the drivers, but the cable may be damaged as well. 

Jul 11, 2013 at 3:49 AM Post #3 of 5
Thanks! I'm in the process of getting in touch with them. Have an email out, we'll see if they get back.

Man, nothing makes listening to music more miserable than hearing it like this.

Jul 11, 2013 at 3:54 AM Post #4 of 5
You shouldn't worry too much. They will get it fixed in like a week or even give you a new one. 

Jul 26, 2013 at 6:25 AM Post #5 of 5
Thanks all for the suggestions, and thanks to Beyer Dynamic in New York.  They got it sorted out, got it fixed, and shipped me back my headphones, even threw in a new pair of velour earpads. Huge props to them for taking care of it and getting my babies back to me halfway around the world in just a bit over a week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back