DT 880 Model Differences? (Pictures/Years)
Apr 1, 2011 at 7:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

MorbidToaster

Headphoneus Supremus
So I came across an add one Craigslist of a brand new pair of DT 880s for $250. I've been wanting to try a pair of Beyers, and I'm pretty sure they're legit. I just want to know what year/model they are. They are not the newest ones, I know that much. They have a flat grill rather than a rounded one and come in a metal box (not sure if they do that anymore or not).

EDIT: Pretty sure they're 2005, just trying to confirm.

Apr 1, 2011 at 8:14 PM Post #3 of 7
It's got a straight cable if that helps at all.

It should be a 250 Ohm version.

EDIT: I think I found my answer.

High-end headphones aren't the kind of products that typically get updated every year - usually, more like every couple years. So when Beyerdynamic updated its line of high-end headphones for the 2006 calendar year, the "headphile" community took notice. The DT770, DT880, and DT990 all got cosmetic face-lifts with a more modern, stylish look and rounded earcups. (From Stereomojo)

To conclude, I think they're 2003 because of the flat cups.

Quote:
flat back and metal box should be the previous "2003" model I believe, but I don't think all the 2003's came with the metal box.

Apr 1, 2011 at 9:51 PM Post #4 of 7
Sounds like the 2003 model.  I have a pair and absolutely love them.  They work best when amped though.  I've used a cmoy and an ssmh and they sound good with both.

Apr 1, 2011 at 9:55 PM Post #5 of 7
I would've loved to nab them from him, but not for $250. I told him if he doesn't sell them and can go 175 I take them off his hands. I would probably be willing to go higher, but I'm a closed can kind of guy, so I'm not too worried.

Quote:
Sounds like the 2003 model.  I have a pair and absolutely love them.  They work best when amped though.  I've used a cmoy and an ssmh and they sound good with both.

Apr 1, 2011 at 10:06 PM Post #6 of 7
If you can get the price down they are worth it.  I got mine from someone oh here for a good deal.  I was a closed can guy before them.  Now I've been converted, although I do have a pair of DT48e models on the way and they are closed.

Apr 1, 2011 at 10:12 PM Post #7 of 7
I really want to try the DT 880 because they are 'semi-open'...but I see a pair of D5000s in my future. I'm a closed can guy because bass impact is a really important thing for me. I do want an open can for my classical FLAC collection though.

Quote:
If you can get the price down they are worth it.  I got mine from someone oh here for a good deal.  I was a closed can guy before them.  Now I've been converted, although I do have a pair of DT48e models on the way and they are closed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back