Which setup do you guys recommend?

• FIDELIO X2+SBZ

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Oct 10, 2017 at 4:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Knekten

New Head-Fier
HI

Like many I have been lurking around a lot and done some research but I need help with the last piece.

I am looking for a pair of headphones to be used with my desktop computer, mainly listening to music and movies. The headphone should offer great soundstage and the feel as if I am in the crowd or room. I want to hear the cymbals clearly but also enjoy the bass. Midrange is important too. I will be doing no mixing so I dont need a flat headphone and i am fine with a more fun sounding headphone if it delivers what I want.

When i watch movies the dialogue should be very clear. I watch a lot of older movies 1940s- up but mainly 1955-1980/90s

Genres: Jazz, Rock, blues, soul, neo-soul

I have been looking at the AKG K702 K612 Q701, Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro and 990 as well as the Philips Fidelio X2. Quick glance at Grado as well.
The sennheiser hd600 might be a good fit but its just outside my budget and their other offerings are below my budget.

The setup i plan on using is my Soundblaster Z as DAC and the cheap Bravo audio V2 tube amp and possibly change the tube.

I ordered the tube amp before I encountered the Fidelio, believing that i would probably settle for a headphone that needs amplification. So either I purchase the Fidelio X2 new 180£ and run them from my soundblaster with no additonal amp or the Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro 250/600ohm + tube at roughly 190£. My budget ends at 200£

Summary questions
1. What suits me the most Fidelio X2 running of SBZ or DT880 Pro+SBZ+TUBE?
2. Are there better headphone suited for the job? (Grado?)
3. If I choose the DT880 PRO would 250ohm or 600ohm be prefereable?

Any other recommendations regarding setup or anything else is gladly appreciated.
I know I might have been unclear and if you want me to explain something I will to my best ability.
Really looking forward to your advice.

kind regards

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2017 at 11:31 AM Post #2 of 5
DT880 Pro and Fidelio X2 are opposite headphones.

DT880 Pro is a neutralish yet slightly treble oriented reference headphone.
Bass is very tight, and paired with the wrong recordings the treble can be overly revealing.

Fidelio X2 is a bassy open back headphone with sparkly but not analytical treble. It offers a more cinematic experience next to DT880 Pro.

For top class recordings and pair with high quality DAC/Amp setup DT880 is definitely the most correct and refined headphone.
But for movies and random recordings, I think the Fidelio should serve you better.

Oct 11, 2017 at 5:08 PM Post #3 of 5
DT880 Pro and Fidelio X2 are opposite headphones.

DT880 Pro is a neutralish yet slightly treble oriented reference headphone.
Bass is very tight, and paired with the wrong recordings the treble can be overly revealing.

Fidelio X2 is a bassy open back headphone with sparkly but not analytical treble. It offers a more cinematic experience next to DT880 Pro.

For top class recordings and pair with high quality DAC/Amp setup DT880 is definitely the most correct and refined headphone.
But for movies and random recordings, I think the Fidelio should serve you better.

Thank you very much for your input and knowledge. The Fidelio X2 returned to sale today on amazon for 125£ so I went ahead and bought them. Now is there gain to be made from using the Fidelio X2 with a tube amp?

Regards

Oct 11, 2017 at 5:19 PM Post #4 of 5
I don't think so.
Tube amplifiers aren't that good with low impedance/high sensitivity headphones.

Oct 11, 2017 at 5:35 PM Post #5 of 5
I don't think so.
Tube amplifiers aren't that good with low impedance/high sensitivity headphones.

Yes, and my soundcard SBZ has pretty high out impedance as well. Think I will return the tube amp and possible spend the money on a soundcard better suited instead.

Thank you for your feedback it's been very helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back