DT880 32 ohm, non portable amp under 100€.
Feb 25, 2015 at 6:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

laMonaca

Head-Fier
Hello,
as the title says, I have a pair of DT880 32 ohm; I need a non portable amp (NOT A DAC) to power them with very low output impedance, and under 100€.
Every amp that I've seen since now has 20-20k Hz FR, but these headphones have 5-35k, will sound quality be affected or it's irrelevant?

Feb 25, 2015 at 10:20 PM Post #2 of 36
  Hello,
as the title says, I have a pair of DT880 32 ohm; I need a non portable amp (NOT A DAC) to power them with very low output impedance, and under 100€.
Every amp that I've seen since now has 20-20k Hz FR, but these headphones have 5-35k, will sound quality be affected or it's irrelevant?

The sound quality won't be affected.

You should consider Schiit Magni 2

Best Luck!

Feb 25, 2015 at 10:47 PM Post #3 of 36
  Hello,

Anything over 20k is getting beyond the hearing range of most people.
But "5-35k" does look great on market literature.

Feb 26, 2015 at 7:07 AM Post #4 of 36
I fear that Magni 2 is over budget, and it is difficult to find too.

I agree on over 20k, but below 20Hz?

PS: just checked, it is WAY over budget, here in EU a used one costs minimum 130€. I saw Bravo V2 but I couldn't find any output impedance spec. How is it?

Feb 26, 2015 at 11:41 AM Post #5 of 36
I fear that Magni 2 is over budget, and it is difficult to find too.

I agree on over 20k, but below 20Hz?

PS: just checked, it is WAY over budget, here in EU a used one costs minimum 130€. I saw Bravo V2 but I couldn't find any output impedance spec. How is it?

Fiio E10K should work very well, it has a low output impedance and it's pretty powerful but it's a USB DAC/AMP.

Feb 26, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #7 of 36
Fiio E10K should work very well, it has a low output impedance and it's pretty powerful but it's a USB DAC/AMP.

Have you ever used a system with bass below 20hz? Not going to get it at a movie theater. The point of the bass in those ultra low frequencies is to be felt much more than heard. So it's great to have that kind of output in a subwoofer when watching movies. Not much content other than takes advantage of it (well, unless you are into pipe organ music). But in a headphone? I don't get the point. So your head can vibrate? :)

So I personally wouldn't worry about it. Get the best amp you can that fits your budget.

Feb 26, 2015 at 12:09 PM Post #8 of 36
Have you ever used a system with bass below 20hz? Not going to get it at a movie theater. The point of the bass in those ultra low frequencies is to be felt much more than heard. So it's great to have that kind of output in a subwoofer when watching movies. Not much content other than takes advantage of it (well, unless you are into pipe organ music). But in a headphone? I don't get the point. So your head can vibrate?
smily_headphones1.gif

So I personally wouldn't worry about it. Get the best amp you can that fits your budget.

Thanks really much :)
So, going a bit over budget will a Fiio E12 do the job? I see that it has got < 0.5 Ohm output impedance, I assume it'll have enough damping factor.

Feb 26, 2015 at 12:11 PM Post #9 of 36
I have the E10K for the DT990 250's... definitely a big improvement over the on-board sound on my PC motherboard. Some argue that the E10K isn't powerful enough, but I am not complaining. Everything sounds great so far. :)

Feb 26, 2015 at 12:15 PM Post #10 of 36
If you want to stay in budget, the E11K would work well with those headphones.

Meanwhile, since you sad a non-portable amp would be OK, you might be able to find the Objective 2 amplifier for what the E12 costs if you look around. It's a better class of amp. Here is someone who sells it in the UK: http://epiphany-acoustics.co.uk/products-page/headphone-amplifiers/ehp-o2-portable-headphone-amplifier/. There are some other EU vendors--I just don't know who they are.

Feb 26, 2015 at 12:22 PM Post #11 of 36
  I have the E10K for the DT990 250's... definitely a big improvement over the on-board sound on my PC motherboard. Some argue that the E10K isn't powerful enough, but I am not complaining. Everything sounds great so far. :)

I'm looking for a non DAC because I already have a good audio card (except for output impedance :wink: ).

I have another 2 questions:
1) Does a "buffer" exist? I mean, a thing that does not amp but fix in/out resistances.
2) Is it a problem if I keep the E12 continuously powered (I will use it for a desktop system)?

Feb 26, 2015 at 12:22 PM Post #12 of 36
have you considered the objective 2 amp? in the uk its £90. It can power 300 ohm headsets with ease. Should be great wit the dt880. Also the one listed above b(by user cel4145)
is better value (coms with the power adapter and everything you need n the box) but the jbs labs is said to be better......... somehow lol. Only problem is the shipping cost and the cost of the adapter as it doesn't come with one  :frowning2: 
http://www.jdslabs.com/products/35/objective2-headphone-amplifier/

Feb 26, 2015 at 12:25 PM Post #14 of 36
have you considered the objective 2 amp? in the uk its £90. It can power 300 ohm headsets with ease. Should be great wit the dt880. Also the one listed above is better value (coms with the power adapter and everything you need n the box) but the jbs labs is said to be better......... somehow lol. Only problem is the shipping cost and the cost of the adapter as it doesn't come with one  :frowning2: 
http://www.jdslabs.com/products/35/objective2-headphone-amplifier/

The Objective 2 amp is an open design that different vendors are using. There shouldn't be any difference between the JDS Labs version and the Epiphany Acoustics version in terms of audio quality. And I used to own the JDS Labs O2, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy the EA model instead if in the UK.

Feb 26, 2015 at 12:26 PM Post #15 of 36
  I'm looking for a non DAC because I already have a good audio card (except for output impedance :wink: ).

I have another 2 questions:
1) Does a "buffer" exist? I mean, a thing that does not amp but fix in/out resistances.
2) Is it a problem if I keep the E12 continuously powered (I will use it for a desktop system)?

A buffer? the o2 amp is said not to do much to the sound it just makes it sound more coloured. It certainly does not change the sound as much as most amps. So i guess you could call it a buffer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back