dt880/600 + receiver amp vs dt880/600 + bravo amp
Oct 27, 2010 at 6:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

poplin

New Head-Fier
Being my first post I would like to thank you all since I learned a lot from your comments.

I mostly listen to lossless audio from my desktop computer optically connected to my receivers. I've been using Grado SR-80 and I'm happy with them. Looking for better sound I've recently got a dt880/600. They are still in the burn-in process.

I am using them with two SS receivers: kenwood vr 616 and pioneer vsx-516. In both the volume is ok, so I assume it is not a problem about voltage swinging. The kenwood sounds flat and fuzzy from bass to highs and with the pioneer I am impressed with the bass and mid-range but kind of disappointed with the highs: they do not sound clear or detailed at all as I would expect from the comments read in this forum.

I do not have a dedicated headphone amplifier and my budget is limited on these days so I was thinking to try some of the cheap Bravo V2 or Indeed V2 (any difference between them?). Have any of you had any experience with the dt880/600 going from receivers to these cheap tube amplifiers?. Should I expect a noticeable difference on clarity in the sound or it is just a matter of volume?.

Thanks!

Oct 27, 2010 at 7:09 PM Post #2 of 12
I have two friends online that both use the DT880/600 with the Bravo V2 and they love the combo...

Oct 28, 2010 at 3:31 AM Post #3 of 12
I've used my DT990/600 with a Bravo V2 and it was a considerable improvement over my Kenwood A/V Receiver.
Not only in volume but the bass was much tighter, and everything was just more defined. The highs were a bit high but that's mostly the DTs fault :)

In the Bravo or indeed, the Tubes are very important (check out the Bravo topic) so once you find the right tube for your taste the mini amp with some modifications can really give you great sound for the price.

ofcourse you can hear the difference between a bravo and a +200$ amp, imho it seems like the Bravo is rushing all the sound out, its not really laid back, and that's how I like it.

Check out the This thread. There do is a difference between Indeed and Bravo, it's all explained there.

Hope it helps!

Oct 29, 2010 at 4:21 PM Post #4 of 12
Thanks for your replies.

Ultrainferno, using your dt990/600 how does the bravo v2 compare with your Maverick Audio TubeMagic A1. Are they worth 3 times the money?.

Thanks.

Oct 30, 2010 at 7:14 AM Post #5 of 12
Yes the A1 is worth it. Sound is warmer, more base. It all sounds relaxed and the sound quality is better in all ways.
I do have the better tubes in it, so that makes it 240$ I think. Quite a difference in price but certainly worth it imo

But I also started with the Bravo in combination with a dac. I have to say that getting a dac first was a good thing to do.
Maybe save up a bit and get a dac and amp? Or just get a dac with built in amp? Or just get the Bravo, maybe you'll like it enough like that and that's what most important.

Oct 30, 2010 at 7:43 AM Post #6 of 12
Poplin, you may wanna wait on the Fiio E7/E9 combo going for $200 (in November). Initial impressions on the E9 is that it works VERY well with the 600ohm Beyers AND even the notorious K701 and K702. This is what I'm waiting for, and the wait is killing me. The E7 while being a portable DAC/AMP will be justt a DAC when paired with the E9. It should become a very popular price/perfdormance dac+desktop amp.

Oct 30, 2010 at 11:07 AM Post #7 of 12
Just out of curiosity why lossy instead of lossless? Regardless of all the equipment involved in this that would probably be the most inexpensive (unless all your music is purchased online and downloaded) and significant upgrade. Garbage in, garbage out.

Nevermind.
rolleyes.gif

Oct 30, 2010 at 11:16 AM Post #9 of 12
Thank god the E9 isn't a tube amp, as I want my sound as uncolored as it can be. I like how people bash eq-ing their headphones but color the hell out of the sound with tubes.

Oct 30, 2010 at 11:18 AM Post #10 of 12
Thanks again guys. It seems to be a never ending problem to choose your equipment: you have a continuous set of options available if you increase "just a little bit more" your budget. The A1 for example, with the better tubes is $240, but in ~$260 you have the matrix M-stage that has very good reviews in this forum (even being a SS it seems to drive the 880/600 wonderfully).

I think I need an amplifier soon, since I start looking the beyers apathetically :frowning2:.

Regarding E7/E9 they seem to be a nice set but I would like to keep all parts separately since it gives me more room for future (and apparently unavoidable
L3000.gif
) upgrades. In addition I would like to get a "desktop" DAC to feed my speaker set also.

Wrt DAC, is that important compared with the amplifier?. I think it is a very important step in order to get a clearer sound but I would think to do that after getting an amp. IMHO today's anemic sound of my cans is more related to an unamp condition than to a good conversion. Am I wrong in this point?.

Thanks!.

Oct 30, 2010 at 11:21 AM Post #11 of 12
Riku, sorry I meant lossless (mostly flac).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back