DT880 600ohm + Asus STX PC GAMING/VOIP/VOCALS/MUSIC
Feb 20, 2012 at 3:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

SwiftFoX

New Head-Fier
Hello all, I've had amazing help on this forum so far, and I'm nearly done researching to purchase my new pair of cans (my first ever audiophile grade ones, yay!)

My previous thread can be found here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/593980/400-budget-looking-for-a-good-pair-of-cans

From the feedback I got, I found the DT880's to be the most neutral and good all-rounders for gaming, video editing, music, vocals, etc. I only use them for the PC, no MP3's or anything else - and so I've always looked at the Asus STX (good for movies and all around best soundcard from what I read). 

From the threads that I read, I really only want the 600ohm version of the DT880? - Is this true, and if so, does anyone know if the STX will drive it properly? I rang a store here in Norway, Oslo, since i can't find any place that sells the 600 version (will have to get it shipped). The guy was very rude, and told me the 600ohm version would need something costing 700 pounds to drive it. Obviously he doesn't know much about anything, but it still brought up a bit of a concern as the shop is a well respected audio place.

So ultimately, I come to you again to ask

DT880 600ohm is the best choice out of the 880's, and if so would a STX drive it properly? I really appreciate any input from you guys.

Thanks a lot.

Feb 20, 2012 at 3:53 PM Post #3 of 18
Heya,

I think a little too much stress is placed, in particular, on the differences between the impedance ratings of the Beyer headphones, as minute as they are.

If budget is at all a concern, I would suggest you simply go 250ohm, middle of the road, and a nice little Fiio E10 and start there (and could easily end there).

Very best,

Feb 20, 2012 at 10:45 PM Post #4 of 18

Quote:
Heya,

I think a little too much stress is placed, in particular, on the differences between the impedance ratings of the Beyer headphones, as minute as they are.

If budget is at all a concern, I would suggest you simply go 250ohm, middle of the road, and a nice little Fiio E10 and start there (and could easily end there).

Very best,

Hi,

Budget isn't much of a concern for me, I can easily grabs the DT880 600ohm + STX. I'm just wondering if they're a good combo (STX will drive it), etc as I said in my first post. And if the 600ohm version is actually the version to go for. Thanks for your input!

Feb 20, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #5 of 18
Heya,

Very best,

This.... right here.

People exaggerate the difference between the different ohm versions of the Beyers. I think the 250ohm is the perfect sweet spot for the DT880s. The differences between them are so minor. If you're not going to be going crazy with amping, the 250ohm is the one to get. The 32ohm is too current hungry, and I feel it's harder to drive.

Feb 21, 2012 at 1:30 AM Post #6 of 18
I too vote Beyerdynamic DT880 (Premium or Pro) 250-Ohm.
Premium version is a little more comfortable, but $90 more then the Pro
Pro is slightly tighter clamping on ear, maybe little more bass.
If you were spending $500 (or more) for a headphone amplifier, then the Premium 600-Ohm would be more worth it.

Feb 21, 2012 at 5:16 AM Post #7 of 18
It is true that the differences between the different impedance versions are not large, but if the OP has already decided to buy the STX, then it is relatively better for the 600 Ohm version than the E10 is for the 250 Ohm one (more power - 80 mW into 600 Ohm vs. 25-30 mW into 250 Ohm with the E10, and even a better DAC, although the E10 is probably good enough anyway). I think it would be best to listen to both before buying, if possible, and decide based on which version sounds better to you; that is the most important factor, and some people actually prefer the sound of the 250 Ohm driver.

Feb 21, 2012 at 5:29 AM Post #8 of 18
Have a couple of friends on AVS who have heard/owned both and couldn't detect any real differences between them. Based off that alone, I myself would go for the 250ohm due to more versatility. Even if the 250ohm is ever so slightly inferior, I bet it wouldn't be a huge enough difference to pick the harder to drive version over it.

But of course, this is head-fi and a 1% difference is worth it, even at the expense of versatility. :rolleyes:

Feb 24, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #9 of 18
Hi,

thanks for the input.. after reading through literally everything with the keyword DT880, STX, 600ohm, 250ohm, and Pro and Premium version - I still have a question.

Some say that the STX will drive, although not handle the DT880 600ohm in the best way. My question is, if I go with the 250ohm version, should the output be better with the STX seeing as it's lower ohm, or will it be the same output from both 600 ohm or 250 ohm? 

Since the difference between the two is apparently minor, but there, if the 600ohm version will perform poorer with the STX, I'd rather go with the 250ohm if it'll ultimately sound better seeing as it's lower ohm with my STX.

They sell 250 pro here in my country, but I'm pretty sold on not getting the pro, rather the normal version, either 250 or 600ohm. 

Thanks!

Feb 24, 2012 at 11:27 PM Post #10 of 18
Technically, the STX will power the 250ohm better. If you're not gonna constantly upgrade, just get the 250.

Feb 24, 2012 at 11:32 PM Post #11 of 18

Quote:
Technically, the STX will power the 250ohm better. If you're not gonna constantly upgrade, just get the 250.

Down the line I might add a DAC/AMP to my setup - but for now the STX is all that I'd like to get, as I'm new to all of this all these versions and different combinations aren't the easiest to get used to!

Thanks.

Feb 24, 2012 at 11:32 PM Post #12 of 18
How about posting in "The Essence STX Q/A Tweaking Impression" a question like.
"Hey anybody with the Xonar Essence ST or STX, have ever use Beyerdynamic 600-Ohm headphones with your Xonar Essence? How well did it work?"
You could also post this same question on Asus's own forum, in the Essence section.

Then post to the two Head-Fi threads  "Beyerdynamic Owners Unite" and "[Guide} Sonic Differences Between DT770-DT990 Models And More".
Have any of you Beyerdynamic 600-Ohm headphone owners ever used the Xonar Essence ST or STX to power those 600-Ohm headphones? How well did it work?

Or you could use order the stuff and be the Guinea Pig.

Feb 24, 2012 at 11:47 PM Post #13 of 18
The STX has the same internal amp section as the E9. 600ohm Beyers sound fine off it, just a little thin. The E9 was made for 250ohm cans, IMHO. I would say the STX being similar.

Feb 25, 2012 at 12:19 AM Post #14 of 18
The STX will drive it but it will sound a lot better off a powerful amp... going from an STX to a moderately priced desktop hybrid is an improvement, moving up to an OTL tube amp is another improvement. To reiterate the STX will drive them to loud-enough volumes but it will be missing a lot of the body and sound I have come to love with the DT880s. They're often dismissed as bright, sibilant, bass-lacking phones and they are exactly that out of soundcards and mobile amps, moving up to something better and they really come alive.

As far as differences between versions there is a big difference between the 32 Ohms version and the 600, I haven't heard a 250 but those that have say there is a pretty big difference, again with the right amp.

Feb 25, 2012 at 1:16 AM Post #15 of 18
I think I'll pull the trigger on the 600ohm, and the STX. Then later, I'll add more to it, from what I can see, that'll be the best choice - like I stated, I don't have the luxury of trying any so I'll pull the trigger on that after a lot of research..

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back