DT880 any good for rock/metal?
Apr 4, 2011 at 11:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

WhiteCrow

Is not fooled by rapper-endorsed products.
now before the influx of GET GRADOS I recently sold off my 80i's in hopes of getting some vintage RS-2. That quickly went out the window and I have herd pretty polarizing things about the rs-2i and rs-1i; not to mention I HATE the sibilance of the 80i's and 325is. Some say that the rs-x series are silky smooth, others say the rs-xi are as sibilant so the rest. So on my quest once more I was drawn to the Beyer Dynamic DT880, I hear they are really lovely. BUT my question is do they have the energy and the clarity in the highs to shine with rock/metal? Frequency graphs show that they are a bit rolled off in the high's MUCH more than a grado but that was expected. I have a fairly dark amp and I could probably power the 600 OHM model relatively well.

Apr 5, 2011 at 8:25 AM Post #2 of 10
The DT880 is a great headphone that is very versatile -- I haven't found anything that it sounds bad with.  It may not be the absolute best for rock and metal (as you said, Grados are usually recommended for that), but I find them quite enjoyable with those genres.

Also, the DT880 isn't rolled off in the highs; on the contrary, it's generally considered to be a fairly bright headphone.  The DT880's highs are smoother and not as edgy as the Grados, which can make them sound more refined but perhaps less exciting.  I think they have the clarity you are seeking in the treble, but maybe not so much the energy.

If you do end up getting the DT880/600, I'd highly recommend looking into an OTL tube amp of some kind.  I was very impressed with the gains in sound quality I got when I switched my DT880/600 from SS to an OTL tube amp.  It's probably less important with the lower impedance models, but the 600-ohm Beyers really seem to benefit from that kind of amplifier architecture.

Apr 5, 2011 at 11:02 AM Post #3 of 10
interesting...good to know.

Apr 9, 2011 at 7:23 AM Post #4 of 10
I'm trying to figure this out myself. I've listened had an extended listening session with the DT 880 (250 Ohms) with a few solid state amps and I'm strongly considering them for rock. I want to build a Bijou amp, so I'd want to get that project out of the way first before buying the headphones. I do think they are good for rock since the, the cymbals fade out correctly and the sound staging is pretty good (it's a partially closed headphone). I didn't feel like anything was very far away from me (like I get when I listen to the AKG k702s) and it didn't feel congested (which is my main problem with the grados I've tried [80is 125i and 225is {although these weren't long listening sessions}]). To answer your question I definitely think they have the clarity to make rock/metal shine, and there's definitely enough low end in them to sound good with metal. The lows, I cannot speak for them too much now that I think about it, I just remember it sounding right, the DT 990 (250) that I listened to had too much bass and it was kinda all over the place (a guess a flood is the word I'm looking for), but the 880 was tighter and more controlled. I would interpret this as having the energy that you're looking for. I listened to a lot of Isis, the Dillinger Escape Plan, Converge, the Ocean, Electric Wizard, and Opeth all sounded pretty good to me. 

Disclaimer (though I think it's understood by now but I feel like it bears repeating because it makes me feel a little better): Your best bet is still trying out a pair to see what you think. 

Apr 9, 2011 at 9:27 AM Post #5 of 10
Like an above poster said the 880s are very versatile. I however would not choose them for rock. I think the DT 770 is probably the best Beyer option for rock, followed by a distant DT 990 (VERY recessed mids imo). Both of these need a good amp to control the bass though. Another option would be a D2000-but I'd still take the 770 over that and it's (currently) a lot cheaper as well.

-Daniel

Apr 9, 2011 at 9:51 AM Post #6 of 10
In my opinion the DT880's are ok for rock because the mids are pretty neutral (perhaps ever so slightly forward). The mids are pretty average sounding on these as well; you won't be banging your head to riffs with these.

May 23, 2011 at 6:47 PM Post #7 of 10
I have the DT770 Pro 80s which are probably a bit different than the standards, but I am looking to replace them for rock, but I will darth them for hip hop. I haven't heard the others, but the Pro's are a TERRIBLE choice for rock IMO. Non existent mids, bass overcomes the treble so the guitar just isn't exciting. Darkvoice 337 and Fiio E7 dac.

Quote:
Like an above poster said the 880s are very versatile. I however would not choose them for rock. I think the DT 770 is probably the best Beyer option for rock, followed by a distant DT 990 (VERY recessed mids imo). Both of these need a good amp to control the bass though. Another option would be a D2000-but I'd still take the 770 over that and it's (currently) a lot cheaper as well.

-Daniel

May 23, 2011 at 7:13 PM Post #8 of 10
Ive got shure 840s and beyer 770 32 ohms, and the shures out do the beyers in rock for the most part for me.  the guitars cymbals and snare are up front,  with nice instrument separation.  but you don't have as much bass drum and tom impact

May 23, 2011 at 7:32 PM Post #9 of 10
I think 990's would be best choice for rock within the Beyer DT series; they have the engaging treble (could be percieved as a bit piercing though, but I didn't experience that), they have the bass punch.

DT880 lack body, DT770 lacks the excitement

Other option could be Denon D2000's (I like my D7000's very much for rock/metal, way more then all Grado's I tried, and they made my DT990's unneeded)

May 23, 2011 at 7:36 PM Post #10 of 10
you know, and after making my post 15 minutes ago i decided to A/B them, with some clutch.  I've done it numerous times, but just felt the urge, and i liked the beyers better.  but i've been using the beyers more this last week.  So I really think its all about what you get used to hearing.... If that makes any sense?  albeit off topic
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back