DT880 PRO - lot better amp than xonar stx needed (ss and tube choices)
Sep 6, 2010 at 3:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

zibra

500+ Head-Fier
Hi all
I almost decided to listen to the music from headphones only. I have currently beyers Dt880 Pro 250 Ohm version plugged into Asus Xonar Essence STX. Sound is satisfying me for now, but I heard that dedicated headphone amp can do a lot better than this card. Many suggestions is "go for tubeamp" and I consider buying Darkvoice 336i, but can you also tell me some ss amps in that price range which could be MUCH better than stx? Anyone listen Beyers with STX and upgraded positivelz to ss amp_ Please let me know.
I repeat + I want to see big difference, not subtle, according to xonar stx.

Regards
Kuba

Sep 7, 2010 at 9:19 PM Post #4 of 12
i have the beyer dt880 600 ohm version with the asus xonar d2 soundcard, a lesser version compared to the stx. i haven't heard the stx sorry, but my audio-gd- c2-c solid state amp is definitely better than the soundcard alone and my entry level little dot mk2, which is a tube amp. the amp adds soundstage and significantly more low end. the details also come through better. the tube amp, even though entry level, gives a touch of treble roll off and tighter bass, which is the reason why i am still keeping it. on absolute terms, the c-2c is better though sound quality wise...

hope this helps 
smile.gif

a tube amp in the same price range of the c-2c should probably sound better i think...

Sep 8, 2010 at 1:37 PM Post #7 of 12
can anyone compare this item to xonar stx for headphones??

http://cgi.ebay.com/Preamplifier-Aleph-Mini-high-end-headphone-amp-Class-/120605745260?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&

Sep 8, 2010 at 3:19 PM Post #8 of 12
I would really appreciate an answer from someone who could sayb if that kit could possibly be very good as headphone amp? I heard that same components are used in some much better amps. You only pay for "external look" and brand. can anyone confirm that news? I could give it a try if thats truth.

Sep 8, 2010 at 3:53 PM Post #9 of 12
I think it's unlikely that you'll get someone who has that ebay amp AND the Xonar AND is also following this thread.

I have no experience with Xonar or that ebay amp. But from the looks of it, the ebay amp will be far more powerful than anything you can fit onto a computer sound card. It uses MOSFETs in class A. The heat dissipation issue from using those inside a computer would be a problem for sure.

I am using a DIY M^3 amp now with my DT880 Pro. It too uses MOSFETs in class A, except it has 3 channels rather than 2, and it has opamps driving the MOSFETs. The M^3 drives the DT880 very well. So if I were to overgeneralize, I would say all amps that use class A MOSFETs are likely to work nicely with DT880.

The Aleph ebay amp you linked to looks promising to me and seems like a good deal at ~$70 shipped. But note that you will need to solder on your own audio input connectors. The RCA jacks on the board are for the pre-amp output. You will need your own enclosure and power cord connector as well.

Sep 8, 2010 at 6:05 PM Post #11 of 12
Thank you Yoga Flame. I also do believe that ebay amp could be something interesting, especially comparing to buitl in stx headamp. I think I could give it a try.

Sep 9, 2010 at 1:13 AM Post #12 of 12

Quote:
Right, defunct. FWIR, the DT880 needs a good amp to get it going. If only Head-Fiers knew where to buy a powerful enough desktop amp like the used x-head that I now have for sale, I think they'd better appreciate their high impedance headphones.

Sir, if you're willing to discuss--via PM of course--international shipping for that amp, I'd be happy to consider taking it off your hands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back