dt880's or something audio technica for gaming?
Jun 16, 2013 at 11:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

jam3s121

100+ Head-Fier
I am looking for a closed gaming headphone, something that is comfortable with minimal adjustment needed for at least 2-4 hours. I have ATH AD700's and V-Moda M-100's using a titanium HD sound card. I am planning on purchasing a dac/amp soon though and ditching the sound card, most likely something from schiite or o2 amp/dac.

I mentioned those two because they are known usually for being quite comfortable.. I enjoy my ath ad700s in terms of comfort but do not like the sound. Love my v-modas for casual pc listening and portable use but after an hour they hurt my head a lot.

I almost bought the dt 880s and audio techinca a900x before getting my v-moda's are these something i should look more into?

edit i meant beyerdynamics dt 770s 80ohms

Jun 17, 2013 at 5:27 AM Post #2 of 11
You should see if you can try the Beyers on in stores first.
For me, they clamped way too hard for it to be considered comfortable in long sessions.

Jun 17, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #3 of 11
Really? That sucks.. I might just go with a refurbished pair of the a900x. I really want something balanced for gaming.. and something without a really tight clamp force becasue I wear glasses.

Jun 18, 2013 at 4:11 AM Post #4 of 11
Best bet is to try them out!
I recall the DT770 I tried wasn't so bad but the DT880pro was really hard on the clamping.
In reality, however, the DT770 was a floor model while the DT880 was taken out, brand new, from the box. Could be simply a issue to wear and breaking in.

Someone more familiar with Beyer's can probably tell you (and me) if the headband and overall clamp of the 770 and 880 are the same or not.

Jun 18, 2013 at 9:00 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:
Best bet is to try them out!
I recall the DT770 I tried wasn't so bad but the DT880pro was really hard on the clamping.
In reality, however, the DT770 was a floor model while the DT880 was taken out, brand new, from the box. Could be simply a issue to wear and breaking in.

Someone more familiar with Beyer's can probably tell you (and me) if the headband and overall clamp of the 770 and 880 are the same or not.

The difference was probably floor vs new, if you store your beyer's on a pair of books or a headphone stand instead of letting them close all the way they will stay loser.

The PRO beyers have a harder clamping force than the PREMIUM, the PRO's clamp harder for better isolation and give a slightly more aggressive sound (take any pair of headphones and smash them against your ears). So the DT770 Pro 80ohm do have a pretty strong clamping force but all 770, 880, 990's are totally circum-aural and shouldn't touch your ears at all, the clamping is all on the side of your head so I find them really comfortable.

Beyer's are kind of weird, the 80ohm have always been PRO but the 250 and 600ohm use to come in PRO or PREMIUM in the whole line but now I think the 770's are officially discontinued and finding a certain pair is sometimes hard or they want a lot of money for that particular model.

Have you looked into tracking down a pair of the Denon DX000's? or the Beyer MMX 300's?

Jun 18, 2013 at 9:01 PM Post #6 of 11
As I own all the headphones talked about on this thread, I would say the best closed headphones are the ATH-A900Xs
and you can get them for $169 (I paid $256 for mine).
The Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro 250-Ohm would be great for an open (semi-open) headphones.

Try buying an external DAC with an optical input, as it could connect to the Titanium's optical output and you would still be able to take advantage of the Titanium's headphone surround sound.
The O2 is fine external headphone amplifier.

Jun 20, 2013 at 5:18 AM Post #7 of 11
Stay away from the AD700 and don't believe the hype that goes with them here. They suck crap and it's best you put that money for it's bigger brother the AD900 (supposedly discontinued?) or AD900X. Both will have bigger soundstage than any of the Beyer's. Plus for me the only Beyers that sound good besides the vintage models are the newer high z 600ohm Prem's, be prepared for some decent amplification though.

Jun 20, 2013 at 7:55 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:
Stay away from the AD700 and don't believe the hype that goes with them here. They suck crap and it's best you put that money for it's bigger brother the AD900 (supposedly discontinued?) or AD900X. Both will have bigger soundstage than any of the Beyer's. Plus for me the only Beyers that sound good besides the vintage models are the newer high z 600ohm Prem's, be prepared for some decent amplification though.

Silly DefQon, don't pull a panda here.
OP already has the AD700 and says he doesn't like the sound. There is no reason for him to purchase yet another headphone he does not like.

Jun 20, 2013 at 8:02 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:
Silly DefQon, don't pull a panda here.
OP already has the AD700 and says he doesn't like the sound. There is no reason for him to purchase yet another headphone he does not like.

Oh ma bad didn't see that part hehe.

AD900 is a recommendation from me if OP want's an improved AD700 in all areas. 

Jul 16, 2013 at 1:22 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:
I like the ad700's but I need something closed and more comfortable than my V-Moda M100's. Thinking A900x

I do like the audio quality of my ATH-A900Xs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back