DT990 brightness?
Dec 14, 2013 at 9:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

bassboysam

1000+ Head-Fier
I recently got a pair of 600 ohm DT990s and so far i have really liked the sound.  The bass isn't as big as everyone claims (which was a bit of a let down, but they have a spot in my collection nonetheless) and yes the mids are a bit recessed but that makes a lot of the music I listen to  a little smoother and more laid back which is nice sometimes.  What I don't get is the talk about people not being able to handle the treble.  I just don't find them that bright at all.  But then again it could just be that the music I listen to doesn't have a lot of treble to begin with.

I'd like to hear some tracks that people found way too bright with DT990s just to see if it's just my ears or is it just my superior musical tastes :wink:

Dec 14, 2013 at 10:00 AM Post #2 of 37
The DT990, 880, and 770 all share the same drivers. If you wanted a little more bass impact, you could try putting some cloth material on the inside of the cups against the grill to make them seal a bit more, like the DT770 (fully closed). I can't recommend any songs that make them sound bright though, as I've never heard a pair. I used to own both of it's brothers though.

Dec 14, 2013 at 10:26 AM Post #6 of 37

I'd like to hear some tracks that people found way too bright with DT990s just to see if it's just my ears or is it just my superior musical tastes :wink:

Try some electronica. 
My guess is that you are not sensitive to treble like other guys. Which amp are you using? 

Dec 14, 2013 at 12:05 PM Post #8 of 37
listened to some electronica, brighter but nothing painful.  Having said that my wife couldn't handle it at all but she had no problems with my music through the DT990.  So it must be combination of me not being very sensitive to treble and my music generally doesn't have that much treble energy.

Having said that, my ears are extremely sensitive to aggressive high mids in the 1KHz-4Khz range.

Dec 19, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #11 of 37
i own the dt990 250ohm, i dont understand why it doesnt have a lot of bass for you... (maybe theres difference between the 600 and 250) you guys are such bassheads lol. back to the topic, dt990 is painful for me time to time, i usually dont feel the pain until for a while like 30 mins of listening or more. how long do you listen for?

Dec 19, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #12 of 37
I'm not saying they don't have bass because they do but I was expecting a lot more based on the reviews and comments.

I've used them for hours with no fatigue. But as I stated earlier it seems most if the music I listen to doesn't really have a lit of treble to begin with.

Dec 19, 2013 at 11:22 PM Post #13 of 37
In my opinion DT990 sound warm, textured and detailed with most high quality recordings.

Dec 20, 2013 at 12:42 AM Post #14 of 37

Definitely not bright for me.  The DT990 accentuates the already scooped recording but other than that it sounds fine to me.  I never found it painful.

Then you either have hearing loss or a very high tolerance for sibilance.  Also it could be whatever upstream components your DT990 is plugged in to aren't resolving enough in the treble.  I know going from iMac to Magni/Modi or even Asgard2/Uber Bifrost for me brings out a whole lot of treble information in recordings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back