DUNU DN-2000J -- More Than Evolution?
Oct 3, 2016 at 2:33 PM Post #1,996 of 2,123

I lost bass ring and red and/or white spacer rings on only the left one of my pair. Spent a few weeks without realizing that spare rings came in the original product box but by now the signature with this non-matching pair has become the best ring combination I ever tried on DN-2000J - very good transparency, mids, highs and lovely bass. I am not even considering opening the box to replace the lost rings on the left side. :)

So on one side you have the spacers and the other side there is nothing? I really like the spacers as it makes the boss a bit longer so that I dont have to shove them so far into my ears. I bought some Westone tips and they seem like they are longer then standard tips.

Oct 3, 2016 at 2:55 PM Post #1,997 of 2,123
  I bought some Westone tips and they seem like they are longer then standard tips.

Are you referring to the Westone silicone Star Tips? Did you really manage to get them on the nozzle? 
blink.gif

Into what direction did they change the sound for you compared to the stock tips?

Oct 3, 2016 at 3:07 PM Post #1,998 of 2,123

Are you referring to the Westone silicone Star Tips? Did you really manage to get them on the nozzle? 
blink.gif

Into what direction did they change the sound for you compared to the stock tips?

I will not receive the Tips tell tomorrow.You don't think they will fit? I know Shure have a small bore, are the Westone the same.

Oct 3, 2016 at 3:15 PM Post #1,999 of 2,123
@howdy

Gotcha. I think they might probably fit after some fiddling, but I see a few problems:

1. they might be stretched too much and either be torn apart immediately or after some time.
  2. their inner diameter is so small so that they might drastically alter the frequency response + soundstage + coherency + potentially even the amount of details.
  3. due to their length, they might be bent in your ear canal with the result being a total blockage of the sound path.

And yes, Shure and Westone IEMs share the same nozzle diameter with the tips having an identical inner diameter, too (in the early days, Westone developed and manufactured the IEMs for Shure). Even the shell shape of Westone and Shure IEMs are very similar and the main difference is that the nozzle angle is a little flatter on Westone's in-ears.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to reading about your impressions with the Westone Star Tips on the DN-2000J. 
beerchug.gif

Oct 4, 2016 at 12:14 AM Post #2,002 of 2,123

Have you heard the DN2002 yet? If so any comparisons? 

Yes, I have, and sure: http://www.head-fi.org/products/dunu-dn-2002/reviews/16013

[vs.] DUNU DN-2000J (grey silicone tips, no spacers, no sub-bass ring):
The DN-2002 doesn’t have much more bass (just about 2 dB more) but sounds not just a little bassier – how can that be? It’s actually quite simple to explain: the DN-2000J is brighter in the midrange, lower as well as middle treble, whereas the DN-2002 has less bright mids and shows less level in the lower and middle treble. As a result, the upper bass and lower plus middle root appear more present, which is also because DN-2002’s lows blend a little more into the upper root/lower mids.
The DN-2000J sounds thinner and brighter, the DN-20002 is bassier and less bright. The quad-driver model also has less present upper mids/presence area and is therefore a bit more forgiving with bad recordings.
There is just a minor difference in resolution: the DN-20002 has got slightly better separated and more refined seeming highs wherefore it sounds a bit more natural in the treble. It also has the somewhat quicker decay wherefore the bass has a little less body but is a bit more arid.
Soundstage is spot-on similar in my ears.
I’d call it more a side-grade to minor upgrade on the technical side.

Oct 4, 2016 at 6:06 PM Post #2,004 of 2,123
Man these have BIG bass with the right tips. I have the white silicone spacer first then the red spacer then my new JVC spiral tips and they are not bright anymore. They sound amazing using my Opus #1.
Sending the Westone tips back as they are to small, I did not even open them.

Oct 6, 2016 at 2:34 PM Post #2,005 of 2,123
  @HiFiChris

Yeah, I will let you know. I also bought some JVC Spiral which should fit and are comfortable, I had these when I had a pair of the JVC HA-FX850 which I miss a little. 

Have you heard the DN2002 yet? If so any comparisons? 

I had the 2002's and 2000J's and FLC8S for a week together and made some posts about the 2002's & 2000J's earlier in this thread. I found the 2000J's to be a bit more airier and open. The 2002's felt they had a tad more bass but that was more because of their meatier mid-range and lower treble but the 2000J's bass is quite awesome. I preferred the 2000J's and returned the 2002's, and then put my FLC8S up for sale and sold those. The FLC8S vs 2000J's was a close call also.

I had no issues with comfort or fit with the 2002's slightly awkward shape, though I think the sleeker 2000J's are more ergonomic and beautiful. The 2002's feel more like tanks though. Only thing I wish the 2000J's had was removable cables - the cables on the 2000J's are great, it's more about just in case a cable breaks having the option to replace it. It wasn't big enough of a deal to keep me away.

Oct 6, 2016 at 6:07 PM Post #2,006 of 2,123
I had the 2002's and 2000J's and FLC8S for a week together and made some posts about the 2002's & 2000J's earlier in this thread. I found the 2000J's to be a bit more airier and open. The 2002's felt they had a tad more bass but that was more because of their meatier mid-range and lower treble but the 2000J's bass is quite awesome. I preferred the 2000J's and returned the 2002's, and then put my FLC8S up for sale and sold those. The FLC8S vs 2000J's was a close call also.

I had no issues with comfort or fit with the 2002's slightly awkward shape, though I think the sleeker 2000J's are more ergonomic and beautiful. The 2002's feel more like tanks though. Only thing I wish the 2000J's had was removable cables - the cables on the 2000J's are great, it's more about just in case a cable breaks having the option to replace it. It wasn't big enough of a deal to keep me away.

Thanks for your impressions!
I'll save my money and stay with my 2Kj. Now that I found the right tips I really enjoy these ALOT! Getting the proper seal is key.

Oct 7, 2016 at 12:38 PM Post #2,007 of 2,123
Thanks for your impressions!
I'll save my money and stay with my 2Kj. Now that I found the right tips I really enjoy these ALOT! Getting the proper seal is key.

Yeah NP. Every other lengthier review of the 2002 essentially said the same thing just in more detail. They aren't an upgrade, more like a sidegrade. If you prefer a little less treble emphasis than the 2000J's you may like the 2002's better, but if not there is no reason to try the switch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back