Durable IEMs for less than 100$
Mar 9, 2013 at 9:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

dozerman

New Head-Fier
Hi there,

I am looking for some durable iems for 70-100$. I have been looking into Klipsch image x10's but I don't know if they are durable enough, but they seem like a good choice for the price range.

I've had the ue500's and I really liked their sound but the right driver stopped functioning properly after two months even though I took really good care of them. I always carried and stored them in their case when I'm not using them, and I didn't wrap them around my phone ever, not even once. I am willing to take good care of my IEMs but they need to be durable too, I am fed up buying new pairs every month, I need a pair that will last longer.

I mostly listen to rock, some jazz and a tiny bit of trip-hop(only massive attack lol). I am looking for decent soundstage on my headphones and it would be nice if they are well balanced but my first priority is durability.

Mar 9, 2013 at 9:20 AM Post #2 of 10
The JVC FXD80, Yamah EPH100, Klipsch Image X5, Sony EX600, Etymotic HF5, RE0 and UETF10Pro(used great buy) are realy durable and very good sounding IEMs for the price, many are well balanced and others are slightly bassy but still maintain good balance.

Mar 9, 2013 at 11:57 AM Post #3 of 10
Thank you for your response. I'm not willing to buy any used iems, I looked up some of your recommendations and X5 and RE0 aren't available anywhere, the HF5 has a really long cable, it might be uncomfortable, not to mention fragile. EX600 and EPH100 are too expensive. Your response has been helpful tho thanks again!

After reviewing these choices the X10 seems like a better choice now, but I still have my doubts about their durability.

I am still open for any responses.

Mar 9, 2013 at 7:08 PM Post #6 of 10
I'm also starting to think that VSonic GR06s might be a good option but then again I have no idea if they are durable, but reviewers say that they sound really good. I would appreciate any feedback on this.

Mar 9, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #7 of 10
Under $100, good with jazz/rock, durable, balanced, soundstage - Why not the A161P, PFE012, or the R-30s? They'd be fairly nice for that sort of stuff. If the budget could be stretched the GR07 can do all of these as well, and the soundstage/durable part extremely well.

Durability on the GR06 is good, no worries about that. It's a mid-centric sound, so they are balanced to an extent. Stage size is decent but not spectacular. 

RE-400s have been getting quite the reception, but won't really comment on that as I've never heard it. Some reading about those might be helpful though.

Mar 10, 2013 at 12:22 PM Post #9 of 10
Rather than starting a new thread, I'll just post here, since I'm looking for basically the same thing. My normal IEMs are SE535's, but my gym pair were UE 5vi's, at least until they basically completely fell apart on me. I've had to resolder the connector (several times, since my soldering skills suck), and the plastic housings around the drivers are falling apart.

I'm looking for something more in the $100-$150 range that sound good when played straight off an iPhone 5 (no amp). I mostly listen to modern rock and electronica, with a little bit of hip hop. I can't guarantee I'll take great care of these, so I'm looking for something with burly connectors and preferably a two-piece cord. I really like the cord on my SE535's, so I'm looking for something like that.

What about SE215's, or a used pair of SE315's?

Mar 10, 2013 at 1:41 PM Post #10 of 10
Get the FXD70 instead of the GR06. It sounds exactly what you are looking for. I have both and the FXD70 is clearly on a higher technical level as well as being more exciting to listen to. The GR06 sounds muffled and lacking in detail in comparison but with some extra treble they improve a lot but will not be as good. 
For rock and every music with instruments they shine and work well with low bitrate. The cable on the GR06 is much thicker but the FXD70 have a body out of pretty solid stainless steel. Build is top. They are also better sounding than the FXD80 IMO.

With these foam tips I can wear them for hours without any discomfort.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/earbud-replacement-tips-tip-In-ear-earphone-memory-foam-SMALL-MEDIUM-LARGE-/160837891193?pt=US_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item2572af7479

Users who are viewing this thread

Back