DX200=Affordable High End Audio. Dual ES9028Pro dacs. AMP1, AMP3, AMP5, AMP7 & AMP8 ***Firmware support now up for AMP9***
Aug 31, 2017 at 2:19 PM Post #8,041 of 22,021
I'm kinda surprised more people aren't starting to use the Neutron player, now that it has direct access to the DX200 DAC. When used in high gain mode, it sounds every bit as good as Mango. And it's WAY more functional. More fully featured options, sort & search. And I'm not one to normally use playback EQ. But the one in Neutron is so tweakable... it's relatively easy to set up micro-EQ customization. Want a little more low end?... set up a low shelf for a 0.8 db boost @ 220hz. A little too much bite on the top end and not enough warmth?... set up a -0.3 db high shelf cut @ 1.2khz, and a low pass filter @ 19.2khz.

I don't see me returning to the Mango player. In fact, I think iBasso should adopt Neutron as THE recommended Android player for the DX200... especially since they can't seem to get Mango developed into a fully featured player.

I might try this. I'm not too thrilled with the Mango EQ. Is there any other music player worth trying?

Swiping left and right is faster than my smartphone, DX200 is the fastest DAP I tested when it comes to its display and GUI. Literally the faster and smoothest DAP, nothing comes even close to it actually, I wonder how iBasso managed this.

What takes a bit for me is pressing forward and backward for a song, there is a 1-2 second until it changes, I wonder if there is a setting for this, or if I messed up something at some point.

What about browsing via artists? I usually use File Browser, but when I want to shuffle all music from a single artist, I find it to be a bit laggy since it constantly reloads album images.

Aug 31, 2017 at 2:38 PM Post #8,042 of 22,021
May I ask what is the exact process of installing your firmware? But I have to warn you, I'm a total PC noob :)
You see, I think I provide comprehensive description and instructions, so first please try to read them by following links on the downloading page and then. Installation can be done from Mac as well.

Aug 31, 2017 at 2:40 PM Post #8,043 of 22,021
Swiping left and right is faster than my smartphone, DX200 is the fastest DAP I tested when it comes to its display and GUI. Literally the faster and smoothest DAP, nothing comes even close to it actually, I wonder how iBasso managed this.

What takes a bit for me is pressing forward and backward for a song, there is a 1-2 second until it changes, I wonder if there is a setting for this, or if I messed up something at some point.
I have passed this on to our software team. Thank you for reporting it.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Aug 31, 2017 at 2:44 PM Post #8,044 of 22,021
I don't see me returning to the Mango player. In fact, I think iBasso should adopt Neutron as THE recommended Android player for the DX200... especially since they can't seem to get Mango developed into a fully featured player.

I often think, when ever I try to use & like Mango, that iBasso should adopt FiiO's Pure Music player. As a Neutron user I agree with your assessment however Neutron needs a serious GUI overhaul.

Aug 31, 2017 at 2:48 PM Post #8,045 of 22,021
I'm kinda surprised more people aren't starting to use the Neutron player, now that it has direct access to the DX200 DAC.
I'm surprised as well. But I'm not only using Neutron: I'm developing a new firmware build with which Neutron is able to play PCM up to 32/384 and DSD via DoP (i.e. bit perfect). I do it for my own fun, as usual, but I wonder if anybody esle needs a no hassle 3rd party player on DX200 which fully utilizes its audio capabilities, and also has so many features...

That's right: with recent changes I've made in my test build, no additional efforts are required to play up to 32/384 and DSD in Neutron!

Aug 31, 2017 at 3:02 PM Post #8,047 of 22,021
I'm kinda surprised more people aren't starting to use the Neutron player, now that it has direct access to the DX200 DAC. When used in high gain mode, it sounds every bit as good as Mango. And it's WAY more functional. More fully featured options, sort & search. And I'm not one to normally use playback EQ. But the one in Neutron is so tweakable... it's relatively easy to set up micro-EQ customization. Want a little more low end?... set up a low shelf for a 0.8 db boost @ 220hz. A little too much bite on the top end and not enough warmth?... set up a -0.3 db high shelf cut @ 1.2khz, and a low pass filter @ 19.7khz.

Well... I like Neutron for what it is and it really gives me some useful features, but when it comes to how it looks and feels in usage, it is more of a beta that needs an artist to step in and beautify it.

I might try this. I'm not too thrilled with the Mango EQ. Is there any other music player worth trying?

What about browsing via artists? I usually use File Browser, but when I want to shuffle all music from a single artist, I find it to be a bit laggy since it constantly reloads album images.

I also usually browse by folders, I haven't noticed any kind of slowness when shuffling from an artist, I mean, if I shuffle, it is with my screen turned off, and it is done at the same speed as other song changes.

I often think, when ever I try to use & like Mango, that iBasso should adopt FiiO's Pure Music player. As a Neutron user I agree with your assessment however Neutron needs a serious GUI overhaul.

Mango player, or how it is named, has one thing done absolutely right - the GUI. It is more functional than PowerAMP, VLC, and Neutron. I know that some of those have some extra features, but for simply browsing the music from my library, DX200's basic app is one of the most fluid things I've seen. How to put it, it is a lovely experience. I know that some APPs have more of this or more of that, but just the comfort of using the main app for music is excellent. I have faith that if they got this right, everything else can be sorted out.

EDIT ::: I think that this is important because the main music app the DAP comes with is quite a lot of work invested by the teams producing it, and with DX200 I really had fun using it. I was quite impressed by Hiby and FiiO's music apps, but I need more time with both to say more.

@Paul - iBasso , this is something that I don't know if will be possible, but when a song is playing, would it be possible to touch a place on the seeking line instead of dragging the seeing indicator? I'm asking because it seems that most other DAPs are doing the touch the spot you want thing and especially for new users might feel more native.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2017 at 3:08 PM Post #8,048 of 22,021
We have a few improvements coming up for the Mango pure very soon.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Aug 31, 2017 at 3:28 PM Post #8,049 of 22,021
I also usually browse by folders, I haven't noticed any kind of slowness when shuffling from an artist, I mean, if I shuffle, it is with my screen turned off, and it is done at the same speed as other song changes.

I mean when scrolling through trying to find that artist. I only meant shuffle for when I actually need to use the Artist directory, since you can't do that in the folder view (shuffling all music stored under an artist folder that has album sub-folders).

Aug 31, 2017 at 3:50 PM Post #8,050 of 22,021
I mean when scrolling through trying to find that artist. I only meant shuffle for when I actually need to use the Artist directory, since you can't do that in the folder view (shuffling all music stored under an artist folder that has album sub-folders).

You just reminded me how many compilations and artists with one song I have, and why I use only folder browsing.

For me it looks very good, the list browsing for artists is really smooth with a 128GB mSC card, all photos are loaded 0.5 seconds after I get to a new page, but it should be noted that I scanned the card before, and all my cover art is manually resized to 500x500 or less when it is ported to my mSD cards.

Do you have large lists, embedded art, or large art size? One of those might slow down the processing if they happen. I have no embedded art in my files, only cover.jpg or cover.png within the folder.

Aug 31, 2017 at 4:27 PM Post #8,053 of 22,021
We have a few improvements coming up for the Mango pure very soon.
I hope those Mango pure mode improvements include the fix that seems to singularly affect my DX200 only, that causes Artists/Albums to add songs to the Now Playing que in the wrong Album/Track order. It's still difficult for me to believe that mine could/would be the only one affected. Hard to understand why a firmware update wouldn't fix this on my particular DX200, while all other DX200 players no longer have the problem after the update. Quirky, to say the least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back