DX200=Affordable High End Audio. Dual ES9028Pro dacs. AMP1, AMP3, AMP5, AMP7 & AMP8 ***Firmware support now up for AMP9***
Aug 31, 2017 at 7:33 AM Post #8,026 of 22,021
Care to describe how?
I'm not the right person to describe sound signature but I'll try. AMP3 has significantly deeper low end and very lively mid range. Sounds really organic and musical to me. I could listen to this sound for hours without my ears getting tired. It doesn't sacrifice a sound stage though. Really impressed right out of the box. Will let it burn in for a while and then let it devour me :) I always found AMP1 to be a bit lifeless and sterile. So, for all those claiming DX200 sounds flat: try it with AMP2 or 3 and then talk...

Aug 31, 2017 at 7:50 AM Post #8,027 of 22,021
Ah, yes! In my experiences, amplifications and Amplifiers will affect the sound by a large margin. My curiosity for the DX200 sunk down after release shortly because many people reporting of the same findings such as lifeless, thin, dry....etc...etc....but seeing how IBasso is releasing Amp cards so fast, faster than Fiio...and their ability to tune and customize these modules ! I just can not wait for my unit to come !!!

Aug 31, 2017 at 9:36 AM Post #8,031 of 22,021
If you are running balanced AMP3 is the way to go. If you are running SE AMP2. Richer expierience both counts! I have the X7 MKii and to me it is more mid centric front sound. DX200 is more balaced in respect to Soundstage and Image. (IMO)

Aug 31, 2017 at 10:10 AM Post #8,032 of 22,021
I had DX200 for a week or so now, but didn't encounter any bugs so far, being on the latest FW. What bugs should I be looking for?
Hi George,

Here are the most annoying issues I experience (there are several others but I don't mind them). Using the latest firmware btw:

1. The speed of both Pure Mango OS and Android Mango Player is really slow. This is a well known issue but it seems it never will be sorted out. Everything (skipping tracks, rewinding track etc.) takes some time. Especially searching through a song by using finger taps on a song progress bar is really frustrating and slow. I can compare it to my AK300 and its a night and day difference. AK is super fast and responsive. DX200 is not. Will this ever be sorted out?

2. Rewinding through a tracks in Android Mango Player by using both hardware or software buttons is absolutely useless after 2.4 firmware update. The buttons are ridiculously sensitive. Just a very short press (one second) makes the progress bar indicator scroll through the whole track like a flash with no chance to stop it. There's absolutely no way to use buttons for rewinding now. I have several albums which are made as one long track and it's pain in the ass to find a desire position within them. I can't believe iBasso software team hasn't noticed it yet. This is a big bug.

3. This is more of a question. As a Mac computer user I have to use Android File Transfer for transferring music to DX200. However I also had Fiio X7 before but with that I didn't have to use Android File Transfer. I simply plugged it to my Mac and dragged and dropped files into it. Why this is not possible with DX200 as they both are Android devices? Yeah I know I can use a card reader but let's face it, it's not convenient to pull out it every time.

Aug 31, 2017 at 11:45 AM Post #8,033 of 22,021
Hi George,

Here are the most annoying issues I experience (there are several others but I don't mind them). Using the latest firmware btw:

1. The speed of both Pure Mango OS and Android Mango Player is really slow. This is a well known issue but it seems it never will be sorted out. Everything (skipping tracks, rewinding track etc.) takes some time. Especially searching through a song by using finger taps on a song progress bar is really frustrating and slow. I can compare it to my AK300 and its a night and day difference. AK is super fast and responsive. DX200 is not. Will this ever be sorted out?

2. Rewinding through a tracks in Android Mango Player by using both hardware or software buttons is absolutely useless after 2.4 firmware update. The buttons are ridiculously sensitive. Just a very short press (one second) makes the progress bar indicator scroll through the whole track like a flash with no chance to stop it. There's absolutely no way to use buttons for rewinding now. I have several albums which are made as one long track and it's pain in the ass to find a desire position within them. I can't believe iBasso software team hasn't noticed it yet. This is a big bug.

3. This is more of a question. As a Mac computer user I have to use Android File Transfer for transferring music to DX200. However I also had Fiio X7 before but with that I didn't have to use Android File Transfer. I simply plugged it to my Mac and dragged and dropped files into it. Why this is not possible with DX200 as they both are Android devices? Yeah I know I can use a card reader but let's face it, it's not convenient to pull out it every time.

I have asked the software team to change the speed you refer to on 2. back to the same as FW 2.3.

For 1. I have tried a few DX200s here and they don't have this issue. Please try the Batch Tool on the first page and the .img FW. After that update to the latest FW using the SD card.

For 3. 4.0 Android was used. For our DX200 A later Android is used and the AFT is used. If there is a plug and play method for the Android we use please let me know.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Aug 31, 2017 at 12:24 PM Post #8,034 of 22,021
As a Mac computer user I have to use Android File Transfer for transferring music to DX200. However I also had Fiio X7 before but with that I didn't have to use Android File Transfer. I simply plugged it to my Mac and dragged and dropped files into it. Why this is not possible with DX200 as they both are Android devices?
For Android 6, Google removed support for USB Mass Storage for SD-cards. But you may install a custom firmware build (see my sig) where this mode is back! To answer a possible question "why iBasso can't do it themselves": I've implemented it in a way which is not suitable for official Android builds, using undocumented and unofficial tools, but it works.

Aug 31, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #8,035 of 22,021
I have asked the software team to change the speed you refer to on 2. back to the same as FW 2.3.

For 1. I have tried a few DX200s here and they don't have this issue. Please try the Batch Tool on the first page and the .img FW. After that update to the latest FW using the SD card.

For 3. 4.0 Android was used. For our DX200 A later Android is used and the AFT is used. If there is a plug and play method for the Android we use please let me know.
1. I don't have any Windows PC around so I can't use BT at this moment however I don't think it would help. The laggish UI has been reported many times here and you even answered your team is working on it. But still nothing...

2. Good. It would be nice to have usable button rewinding back.

3. Ok I see. Shame...

Aug 31, 2017 at 1:21 PM Post #8,036 of 22,021
1. I don't have any Windows PC around so I can't use BT at this moment however I don't think it would help. The laggish UI has been reported many times here and you even answered your team is working on it. But still nothing...

3. Ok I see. Shame...

I know of the slight lag in swiping right or left in Mango but in Android in all the DX200 have tested there is no lag. It is very fast and responsive. It is as fast as my Samsung smart phone.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Aug 31, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #8,037 of 22,021
For Android 6, Google removed support for USB Mass Storage for SD-cards. But you may install a custom firmware build (see my sig) where this mode is back! To answer a possible question "why iBasso can't do it themselves": I've implemented it in a way which is not suitable for official Android builds, using undocumented and unofficial tools, but it works.
Hi Lurker, I have read about your firmware many times in this thread but was never interested. So with your firmware it is possible to use plug and play method right? This could change my interest. May I ask what is the exact process of installing your firmware? But I have to warn you, I'm a total PC noob :)

Aug 31, 2017 at 1:42 PM Post #8,038 of 22,021
I know of the slight lag in swiping right or left in Mango but in Android in all the DX200 have tested there is no lag. It is very fast and responsive. It is as fast as my Samsung smart phone.

That's strange. Shame I don't have a chance to try another unit around. Will have to try the BT as soon as possible. Hope it's not complicated

Aug 31, 2017 at 2:04 PM Post #8,039 of 22,021

3. Ok I see. Shame...

Swiping left and right is faster than my smartphone, DX200 is the fastest DAP I tested when it comes to its display and GUI. Literally the faster and smoothest DAP, nothing comes even close to it actually, I wonder how iBasso managed this.

What takes a bit for me is pressing forward and backward for a song, there is a 1-2 second until it changes, I wonder if there is a setting for this, or if I messed up something at some point.

Aug 31, 2017 at 2:06 PM Post #8,040 of 22,021
I'm kinda surprised more people aren't starting to use the Neutron player, now that it has direct access to the DX200 DAC. When used in high gain mode, it sounds every bit as good as Mango. And it's WAY more functional. More fully featured options, sort & search. And I'm not one to normally use playback EQ. But the one in Neutron is so tweakable... it's relatively easy to set up micro-EQ customization. Want a little more low end?... set up a low shelf for a 0.8 db boost @ 220hz. A little too much bite on the top end and not enough warmth?... set up a -0.3 db high shelf cut @ 1.2khz, and a low pass filter @ 19.7khz.

I don't see me returning to the Mango player. In fact, I think iBasso should adopt Neutron as THE recommended Android player for the DX200... especially since they can't seem to get Mango developed into a fully featured player.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back