DX220 A new view to your music. *** LATEST FW: 1.19 Local *** Link for User Guide 1st Page.
Oct 9, 2019 at 7:29 PM Post #8,536 of 13,478
Aeon Flow Closed & DX228 impressions

Before returning the AFC and DX220 I gave them another run, this time with AMP8 (unmodded). Dan recommends this combo as well.
The overall sound is better vs AMP1 but the differences are mostly very slight if not nonexistent. The sound is still unsatisfactory.

Frequency response is flat with no problematic peaks/dips. But clarity, detail reveal, dynamics etc. are waaay below expected. Most of the music simply sounds bad rather than " upper mids are good but lower treble is bad"

The FR can be neutral but the actual sound is certainly not, all musical elements are not presented equally like how it is intented.

Just like how it was with the AMP1, instrument solos are okay but any piece with multiple elements sounds horribly congested. Listened to the Beethoven 9th Symphony's final movement, the choir is overshadowed by the instruments or vice versa. It might be the worst 9th symphony I've ever heard with any headphone. Modern songs with multiple elements and synthesis textures sound even more blurred.

Deetail reveal is something relatively objective because a musical elements can either be heard or not. My tests is a very hidden piano hit in a song which can only be hard with high-end headphones. And fail: it cannot be heard here. Aside from the test I can report that the overall detail revail is pretty low.

I also don't get the multidimensional soundstage etc. many reviewers of Aeon claim because it certainly does not exists, at least when paired with DX220/8.

I played with the EQ a little bit but couldn't make the sound any better.

I competely understand that the sound is subjective but most of the problems I reported are the common sense ones (unclear sound, lack of dynamics and detail) rather than preferential things like tonal balance.

Total price of the gears in my hand including the cable is $2300. And the overall sound is not really better than my Sony XM3 bluetooh headphone ($349) or $300 Audio Technica ATH-M70X headphone powered by my phone. I guess I gonna go ahead with the return.

Wow! So disappointed with your ears. Everything is negatively raved by you. Best way for your “special ears” is going back to your taste and things you like. :smirk:

Oct 9, 2019 at 8:00 PM Post #8,538 of 13,478
Lol didn’t I say 2 weeks ago to get rid of it? I knew it was going this way. And the card was inserted facing the wrong way?? C’mon...this is about as fishy as it gets lol.

Oct 9, 2019 at 8:13 PM Post #8,540 of 13,478
Lol didn’t I say 2 weeks ago to get rid of it? I knew it was going this way. And the card was inserted facing the wrong way?? C’mon...this is about as fishy as it gets lol.

I will get rid of it, I wanted to give it a chance with AMP8 before doing so.

Making fun of me for failing the SD card and asking for help? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Oct 9, 2019 at 8:27 PM Post #8,542 of 13,478

I've told a fish story or two over the years so I know that smell pretty well. This outcome was so easy to predict.

Oct 10, 2019 at 12:12 AM Post #8,543 of 13,478
If the AFC + DX228 isn’t any better than a $300 Bluetooth setup, better to save $$ and stay with BT setup

Oct 10, 2019 at 1:20 AM Post #8,545 of 13,478
Aeon Flow Closed & DX228 impressions

Before returning the AFC and DX220 I gave them another run, this time with AMP8 (unmodded). Dan recommends this combo as well.
The overall sound is better vs AMP1 but the differences are mostly very slight if not nonexistent. The sound is still unsatisfactory. It is also worth to notice that I'm revewing the combo, I don't have an exact way to figure put if the disappointing sound is caused by the headphone, DAP or both.

Frequency response is flat with no problematic peaks/dips. But clarity, detail reveal, dynamics etc. are waaay below expected. Most of the music simply sounds bad rather than " upper mids are good but lower treble is bad"

The FR can be neutral but the actual sound is certainly not, all musical elements are not presented equally like how it is intented.

Just like how it was with the AMP1, instrument solos are okay but any piece with multiple elements sounds horribly congested. Listened to the Beethoven 9th Symphony's final movement, the choir is overshadowed by the instruments or vice versa. It might be the worst 9th symphony I've ever heard with any headphone. Modern songs with multiple elements and synthesis textures sound even more blurred.

Deetail reveal is something relatively objective because a musical elements can either be heard or not. My tests is a very hidden piano hit in a song which can only be hard with high-end headphones. And fail: it cannot be heard here. Aside from the test I can report that the overall detail revail is pretty low.

I also don't get the multidimensional soundstage etc. many reviewers of Aeon claim because it certainly does not exists, at least when paired with DX220/8.

I played with the EQ a little bit but couldn't make the sound any better.

I competely understand that the sound is subjective but most of the problems I reported are the common sense ones (unclear sound, lack of dynamics and detail) rather than preferential things like tonal balance.

Total price of the gears in my hand including the cable is $2300. And the overall sound is not really better than my Sony XM3 bluetooh headphone ($349) or $300 Audio Technica ATH-M70X headphone powered by my phone. I guess I gonna go ahead with the return.

Did you even try burning them in?

Oct 10, 2019 at 1:29 AM Post #8,546 of 13,478
If the AFC + DX228 isn’t any better than a $300 Bluetooth setup, better to save $$ and stay with BT setup
Totally agreed.

Why should I quit after disliking just a single setup? I am not done with my research of good sounding portable audio. There are still a lot of products and some must sound good to my ears. I demoed Focal Elegia and it was way better for instance.

The lesson I learned is always listen to something before buying (unless you have unlimited money to spare) because online reviews are incredibly inaccurate. Most of the reviews are overly optimistic, misleading and dishonest.

Oct 10, 2019 at 1:50 AM Post #8,547 of 13,478
Why should I quit after disliking just a single setup? I am not done with my research of good sounding portable audio. There are still a lot of products and some must sound good to my ears. I demoed Focal Elegia and it was way better for instance.

The lesson I learned is always listen to something before buying (unless you have unlimited money to spare) because online reviews are incredibly inaccurate. Most of the reviews are overly optimistic, misleading and dishonest.
To reiterate my point a few pages back regarding DX220 and my Ether Open Flow...

they sound good and I’m sure the Aeon Flow should sound similar on the DX220. But they will sound better on a desktop amp setup. I’ve compared against my WA7 amp.

Anyway, if a BT setup is similar sounding, I’m not even sure why I bother convincing you. My experience tells me they are not even close to similar sounding.

Oct 10, 2019 at 1:58 AM Post #8,548 of 13,478
Most of the reviews are overly optimistic, misleading and dishonest
I continue trying to convince my relatives to try some of my favorite dishes, to no avail, but it does not stop me to continue enjoying them. Am I dishonest?

Might it be that your musical/sound taste is far from average?

Oct 10, 2019 at 2:04 AM Post #8,549 of 13,478

I have the DX200 and AMP9 and really enjoy the combination. It’s very musical and provides good instrument separation.

If you want to try other options (but you will need a (cheap) DAP to feed it ), then look at the Chord Mojo or even better the Chord Hugo2. They will provide you with more detail and perhaps more or a WOW factor.

Oct 10, 2019 at 2:06 AM Post #8,550 of 13,478
To reiterate my point a few pages back regarding DX220 and my Ether Open Flow...

they sound good and I’m sure the Aeon Flow should sound similar on the DX220. But they will sound better on a desktop amp setup. I’ve compared against my WA7 amp.

Anyway, if a BT setup is similar sounding, I’m not even sure why I bother convincing you. My experience tells me they are not even close to similar sounding.

Ether flow costs twice as much ($1600 vs $800) and it is an open back. EFO and AFC have very few things in common aside from the brand. You also think that Sennheiser CX200 sounds similar to the Sennheiser HD800s ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back