DX240 DAP. DAC ES9038PRO - NEW: AMP8MK2S .****** NEW Firmware! 2.01 *******
Dec 18, 2021 at 10:36 PM Post #1,052 of 2,804
I got a 256GB which is the minimum for the better ones non cs micron). Around $100 and worth the experiment i thought. Worked wonders on the Max SS.
MTSD256AKC7MS-1WT

I got mine (2nd amp8EX) from the head-fi classifieds so keep checking there i guess. Or i was just lucky.

As for amp8EX- as i mentioned before i sold mine as the dx220 battery life etc was surpassed by the dx300 and i thought. Meh, i love the dx220/amp8EX but which am i gonna use.
It was not exact (i use micro sd cards mostly) but i went for it. Dx300 and Amp11mark2.

Then came dx240. Amp11markiii is a stock amp and generally meant to be an allrounder i guess. But not for everyone

Amp8 gave a little more towards what i was after -it was better on the dx240 than on the dx220, which was a bit dark and congested on the dx220 compared to amp8EX .

But amp8EX hits the spot

I do wonder what the next amp for dx240 will be like. I expect a 4.4mm with a Amp11mark2 kind of signature...but who knows…

Yep I did see a micron 256 gb one from mouser for about 98 dollars. The others were 150 dollars.

Dec 19, 2021 at 8:34 AM Post #1,053 of 2,804
Congrats!

I usually use high gain which seems to reveal more detail/clarity with volume 10-25. Like other iBasso models, there seems to be a big jump between med gain and high gain. Fortunately, my main IEMs are mild in upper mids - treble range so no harshness to speak of. I did try my Hyla CE5 which is more V-shaped with piezo ceramic tweeters... the treble becomes borderline too much. I have to dial back to med gain... so ymmv.

For a quick note, going from stock amp to Amp8 seems to add more mid bass thickness (adds note weight) and improvements in dynamics. Amp8EX shifts the tuning to leaner sub bass oriented bass, slightly V shaped sound, with the same improved dynamics. I think I’m hearing similar to what @ExpatinJapan is hearing - i.e. vocals pulled back a little. Amp8EX is a cleaner refinement of Amp8 which is little bit slower and analog sounding than EX.

Interesting thing is that using Amp8EX, the sound change from DX220 to DX240 is very very subtle. I think I hear slightly improved bass and slightly forward upper mids. I had to try bunch of tracks to find where the small changes were coming from. Maybe it's due to the tracks I have or my tired ears :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: This could be good or bad depending on how you look at it from DX220 upgrade perspective. The platform/OS/weight is a clear upgrade though.
Very early for my unit but so far, low gain felt a little 'tight' and high a little less tight than I favor... with the moderate/low impedance IEMs I tried so far. A single dynamic and an 8 driver. I'm sure it varies by device and a high impedance headphone would likely favor high gain. I'll have firmer ideas on what I personally favor in a week or so. I suspect this will be a very mature sounding player. Detailed but not in that in your face way. I hear a lot for it being new. More subtlety than expected emerging from what is still a slight fog. It's just not yet getting that black space and perspective where I suspect it will later. Even if it doesn't become the most informative player ever made, I can tell that it has plenty and the presentation and note weight will be VG in a solid (not warmed over) sort of way.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2021 at 1:29 PM Post #1,057 of 2,804
It wouldn't make sense to sell a new amp without everything needed to fit the DX240.

Good point, I guess the 3 pack being sold is for existing amps. I was thinking of buying a used amp 8 but then I have to get the plates, so I'll just wait to see what the new amp is like.
I don't mind the stock amp at all there's just a used amp 8 on amazon for 115 bucks.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2021 at 1:42 PM Post #1,058 of 2,804
Good point, I guess the 3 pack being sold is for existing amps. I was thinking of buying a used amp 8 but then I have to get the plates, so I'll just wait to see what the new amp is like.
I don't mind the stock amp at all there's just a used amp 8 on amazon for 115 bucks.
Yes the faceplate pack is intended for the old amps so they can be used with the DX240.
While it is very tempting to buy the AMP 8 I would be patient and wait for the new 4.4 balanced amp.

Dec 19, 2021 at 2:02 PM Post #1,059 of 2,804
Yes the faceplate pack is intended for the old amps so they can be used with the DX240.
While it is very tempting to buy the AMP 8 I would be patient and wait for the new 4.4 balanced amp.

Yes and with my gear the stock amp sounds wonderful. Things are spread out just a bit more than I'm used to. Maybe an amp with more forward mids would be more up my alley. But then there are advantages over that wall of sound type sound sig, such as things getting more space and a more 3d effect. I would expect the next amp to be an improvement over the older amps.

I might mess around with the filters.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2021 at 10:07 PM Post #1,061 of 2,804
From review in the head fi section
Or Head pie https://www.headpie.net/2021/10/ibasso-dx240-review-expatinjapan.html?m=1

Dx240 amps compared with the dx300 amps11 and 12 as that was many peoples immediate reference point.

‘….
I do think amp 8 is a good investment and goes above the stock amp1mkiii.

So:
Amp8>amp1mkiii
Amp1mkiii = amp11mark1
Amp1mkiii <amp11mark2
Amp1mkiii = amp12
Amp8/amp12 - close in quality, close in sound with a swap of filters.

So kind of a dead heat. Everyone wins.’

<<<the above needs to be read in context of the review written up tests. More about signature than quality perhaps from memory??

(Although its a bit old now - the review - it does seems like an eternity ago …- and my thoughts are still evolving on the DX240 whereas with the DX300 its fixed.)
-Also the amp8EX has entered into the equation also….
(Stock amp1mkii and amp8 are back in the box, amp8EX happily in the dx240).

72B50995-69D6-49F6-929E-AD87819C49E9.jpeg

Either trust my ears or write me off as crazy - either one is good (i have to try internal memory again…)

A few variances in peoples impressions for sure.

Some earphone related/ pairings work or not.

Some earphones i found paired well with stock amp1mkii and some with amp8 (and some not with either), and many pair well with amp8EX).

I wonder whether there were several amps runs and some of the magic happened as the amps cooked in the soldering machines at the production factories and came out different.>>>

As we got different results with amp12mk1 and Amp11mark2 for the DX300 (?…i wonder).

26EDA065-84F0-46F7-8890-500C29152730.jpeg
So the TLDR, dx311.2 kind of on top?

Dec 19, 2021 at 11:24 PM Post #1,062 of 2,804
As it clears out a bit from running, (<1 day) I'm mostly preferring the decay of filter 4. Was filter 5 when new to cut better edges but as it clears out, I think I prefer 4 but haven't listened that much. Liking stand alone Mango... nah, still filter 5 overall.

Interesting player. I'm certain there's more improvement to come but it has a good amount of info for something that currently isn't getting completely black nor bright in character. Not 'digital' sounding. I suspect it ends up in a very nice spot.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2021 at 1:32 AM Post #1,063 of 2,804
Great implementation of 9068as in Alpha, sounds great.
What device is the Alpha? Cause I would be interested to read about a good 9068 source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back