DX260 Digital Audio Player, a New avenue to your music. Preorders have started. Easily replaceable battery. NEW Firmware Update! 2.02
Apr 18, 2024 at 12:28 AM Post #841 of 867
I have the M6U. Love it too…was just curious if anybody did a comparison.
DX240 was better than the M6U when I did a head to head and the DX260 is better than the DX260.

My main issue with the M6U was it's lack of refinement (upper treble is a bit harsh, relative to the competition), detail and soundstage aren't as good, and love it or hate it, it has a blunted sort of sound, I personally liked the crisper sounding AKMs (4497 and 4499EQ)

So yes DX260 > M6U

I find the DX260 very smooth and musical with excellent detail. To me, I find it is a very natural sounding dap.
I prefer the word refined :D

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2024 at 3:31 AM Post #843 of 867
Are there any advantages in SQ that the dx260 possesses over the Elite? Asking out of curiosity.
In most reviews people mentioned that the M15s is slightly better sounding than the dx260 (well, less sharp, with a bigger stage and bolder bass at least).
Ive had the M15s and loved it but it didnt quite compete with the sp1000.
Elite on the other hand is amazing and i prefer it to the M15s- from memory, but compared to the sp1000, it definitely has more of WOW factor than the M15s, more holographic staging and better layering. The M15s was flatter in comparison to the Elite and had a very slight ESS glare on top but way more refined than other ESS based daps that i know.
So if someone says, the dx260 is better than the Elite, then the math doesnt add up to me hah but maybe im missing something..
Can someone give a brief comparison?

Apr 18, 2024 at 4:00 AM Post #844 of 867
Are there any advantages in SQ that the dx260 possesses over the Elite? Asking out of curiosity.
In most reviews people mentioned that the M15s is slightly better sounding than the dx260 (well, less sharp, with a bigger stage and bolder bass at least).
Ive had the M15s and loved it but it didnt quite compete with the sp1000.
Elite on the other hand is amazing and i prefer it to the M15s- from memory, but compared to the sp1000, it definitely has more of WOW factor than the M15s, more holographic staging and better layering. The M15s was flatter in comparison to the Elite and had a very slight ESS glare on top but way more refined than other ESS based daps that i know.
So if someone says, the dx260 is better than the Elite, then the math doesnt add up to me hah but maybe im missing something..
Can someone give a brief comparison?
Different synergy with testing equipment? Ie power hungry headphones benefitting better from the dap being more powerful (better voltage and current delivery)

Apr 18, 2024 at 4:12 AM Post #845 of 867
Different synergy with testing equipment? Ie power hungry headphones benefitting better from the dap being more powerful (better voltage and current delivery)
Yeah, i should be more precise- iems mainly but im surprised that the Elite drives the Sundaras and Aryas so well. I was always very sceptical when it comes to the opinions like "my dap drives my full sized planars as well as my desktop rig" but i need to reevaluate my statement with the Elite tbh.

Apr 19, 2024 at 4:59 PM Post #848 of 867
While listening to Meiko's Zombie and London Grammar, I made 2 wallpapers for the DX260. I took the freedom (hope iBasso is fine with it!?) to use an official marketing picture of the octa DAC chipset and modified/fitted it to 1080x1920. Have fun, I thought its cool and so I shared.

iBasso-8x-CS43198.jpg

iBasso-8x-CS43198_BW.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2024 at 5:06 PM Post #849 of 867
While listening to Meiko's Zombie and London Grammar, I made 2 wallpapers for the DX260. I took the freedom (hope iBasso is fine with it!?) to use an official marketing picture of the octa DAC chipset and modified/fitted it to 1080x1920. Have fun, I thought its cool and so I shared.

iBasso-8x-CS43198.jpg

iBasso-8x-CS43198_BW.jpg
I would think they would be happy with it. Nice!

Apr 22, 2024 at 10:36 PM Post #850 of 867
bought an open box dx260 and have had a little bit of time to listen. Pretty different from my m6 ultra, mostly for the better. Bigger and wider stage (at times a little too wide). The dx260 pulls more detail, but it’s not a big difference. I do think the Shanling thickness can do a better job with male vocals at times. And while the m6u stage is smaller it can occasionally feel more cohesive. At first the dx260 bass was a bit much, but that’s been improving (smidge of midbass bloat). It has better sub bass extension than the m6 ultra. The dx260 is definitely less forgiving, but I don’t find it harsh. It sounds pretty natural. Of my sets, the Thieaudio hype 10 sounds the best with the dx260.

It might be impossible at this point, but I’d be interested in a crossfeed function.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2024 at 1:02 AM Post #851 of 867
bought an open box dx260 and have had a little bit of time to listen. Pretty different from my m6 ultra, mostly for the better. Bigger and wider stage (at times a little too wide). The dx260 pulls more detail, but it’s not a big difference. I do think the Shanling thickness can do a better job with male vocals at times. And while the m6u stage is smaller it can occasionally feel more cohesive. At first the dx260 bass was a bit much, but that’s been improving (smidge of midbass bloat). It has better sub bass extension than the m6 ultra. The dx260 is definitely less forgiving, but I don’t find it harsh. It sounds pretty natural. Of my sets, the Thieaudio hype 10 sounds the best with the dx260.

It might be impossible at this point, but I’d be interested in a crossfeed function.
Thanks for the comparison. I'm still debating between the 260 and the M15s as a sidekick companion to my M6 Ultra. Curious how much more present and elevated the upper mids and lower treble are compared to the Ultra. Is the presence region noticeably different or a bit bright or metallic at times? Have you listened to any rock or metal on it yet? How much warmer is the 260 in the upper bass and lower mids? Do you find the 260 less smooth, and which has better dynamics and note weight? Sorry for so many questions. Just trying to decide which dap will fit me best.

Apr 23, 2024 at 2:38 AM Post #852 of 867

You could play around with the slow roll off filter, gives the DAP a fraction of warmth (begins to roll off a bit below 20kHz already). It costs a tiny bit of headspace and precision, but might sound better to you according to your sound impressions. Also you could try FIR 2x or 4x to equalize the FQ spectrum and takes out quite effectively harsher peaks especially in the higher FQs... this results in a psychoacoustically somewhat rounded off lower end of the spectrum. (I personally don't bother with FIR, especially when you have good source material, but some 16-44.1 flacs and/or not so good recordings might benefit from it)

Of course there's always the parametric EQ, but that's not a "quick fix"... you have to A/B a lot.

Thanks for the comparison. I'm still debating between the 260 and the M15s as a sidekick companion to my M6 Ultra. Curious how much more present and elevated the upper mids and lower treble are compared to the Ultra. Is the presence region noticeably different or a bit bright or metallic at times? Have you listened to any rock or metal on it yet? How much warmer is the 260 in the upper bass and lower mids? Do you find the 260 less smooth, and which has better dynamics and note weight? Sorry for so many questions. Just trying to decide which dap will fit me best.
I personally think that the M15s might be closer to the overall sound signature of the M6U than the DX260. So, I'd go with the iBasso for some contrast.

Apr 23, 2024 at 3:41 AM Post #853 of 867

Yes the DX260 and M6U are very different beasts in terms of presentation.

The DX260 is crisp, clear and reference-neutral while the M6U is soft, warm-neutral.

I prefer a clear holographic soundstage myself and the M6U's soundstage just doesn't have the holographic nature. I think that's what you mean by the M6U being more cohesive. It doesn't have the air between instruments that a holographic soundstage gives.
If you are after a wholly different sound, the DX260 will give you that. From warm and soft to clear and crisp.

But if you're after improvements in dynamics and note weight the M15S is a bigger upgrade.

Neither the DX260 or M15S will give you bright or metallic treble unless your iems/headphones already have it.

That said, the M6 Ultra may be masking it in your present gear. So for what it's worth the M15S has a softer treble presentation while the DX260 presents it as is.
I personally think that the M15s might be closer to the overall sound signature of the M6U than the DX260. So, I'd go with the iBasso for some contrast.
Agreed

Apr 23, 2024 at 3:51 AM Post #854 of 867
Yes the DX260 and M6U are very different beasts in terms of presentation.

The DX260 is crisp, clear and reference-neutral while the M6U is soft, warm-neutral.

I prefer a clear holographic soundstage myself and the M6U's soundstage just doesn't have the holographic nature. I think that's what you mean by the M6U being more cohesive. It doesn't have the air between instruments that a holographic soundstage gives.

If you are after a wholly different sound, the DX260 will give you that. From warm and soft to clear and crisp.

But if you're after improvements in dynamics and note weight the M15S is a bigger upgrade.

Neither the DX260 or M15S will give you bright or metallic treble unless your iems/headphones already have it.

That said, the M6 Ultra may be masking it in your present gear. So for what it's worth the M15S has a softer treble presentation while the DX260 presents it as is.

Agreed
Much appreciated!

Apr 23, 2024 at 4:02 AM Post #855 of 867
Perfectly described, @seanwee :beerchug:

I just love the DX260 for being a "chameleon" among the DAPs I heard (or quickly was able to try out)... and with chameleon I mean, that it is basically a neutral player leaning into being close to analytic, but it manages to not overwhelm with an overemphasized upper midrange and high frequencies. That's IMO a perfect foundation to enjoy (and especially test) different headphones. Due to it's lively but never nervous dynamics and more neutral harmonization, it brings out all the strength (and weaknesses as well🤷‍♂️) of a headphone... just my impression :thinking::relaxed:

By writing this, I was listening to Lubomyr Melnyk's "The Amazon: The Highlands" with my new Aune AR5000... loving it. They are made for each other with this kind of music. [settings: high gain, fast roll-off and no other filters applied... a detail beast]

One more edit: To contrast Melnyk's ambient piano soundscapes, I recommend to try out London Grammar "How does it feel" to get the female vocals as well as the low FQ dynamics the DX260 is capable to display.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back