DX320MAX Ti The musical event worth the wait. ROHM X 4. !! NEW Firmware: 2.03 !!
Apr 8, 2023 at 8:31 PM Post #16 of 1,449
Yes a 4 gangs potentiometer is amazing for true balanced

888 number seems to be a lucky number of some short
According to iBasso, when adjusting the volume, 5%-10% of the time, there will be no sound in both channels and you need to gently turn the volume knob clockwise slightly more to restore the sound.

This could become annoying if I adjust the volume frequently. So would the sound improvement be worth the inconvenience?

006qjSbmgy1hcreniwcq9j30ly25d7na (1).jpg

Apr 8, 2023 at 8:44 PM Post #17 of 1,449
According to iBasso, when adjusting the volume, 5%-10% of the time, there will be no sound in both channels and you need to gently turn the volume knob clockwise slightly more to restore the sound.

This could become annoying if I adjust the volume frequently. So would the sound improvement be worth the inconvenience?

006qjSbmgy1hcreniwcq9j30ly25d7na (1).jpg
Thanks for sharing this slide. I am interested to know what resistors are used on this stepped pot. Also, I used stepped pot and known it well, I haven’t encountered any instances where the sound would be cut off though, interesting point about it could be annoying

Apr 8, 2023 at 10:07 PM Post #18 of 1,449
I'm somewhat nervous seeing 4 rohm chips. The size of the DAP hasn't increased; we all know the DAC chip isn't small, so it makes me wonder what compromises they had to make to put 4 DAC chips in the same footprint as the DX300 max body.

Apr 8, 2023 at 10:09 PM Post #19 of 1,449
Thanks for sharing this slide. I am interested to know what resistors are used on this stepped pot. Also, I used stepped pot and known it well, I haven’t encountered any instances where the sound would be cut off though, interesting point about it could be annoying
On Wagnus Epsilon S (a very old amp) the pause was audible, but momentarily. I wouldn't call it annoying as it had other issues that made it unusable for IEM's.

Apr 10, 2023 at 3:23 AM Post #21 of 1,449

If I follow the translation correctly ("stepper" must be a mistranslation?) there are only 24 steps on the volume pot, so if up to 3 out of 24 steps are silent that might be annoying indeed. Traditionally stepped volume pots are about excellent channel matching across the entire volume range. Has anyone ever mentioned volume imbalance at low volumes for iBasso? Have read about low volume imbalance for iFi amps

Apr 10, 2023 at 4:00 AM Post #23 of 1,449
They sold out of the 300 MAX SS in a hurry and it took less than one day to sell out of the Ti if I remember correctly.

I think it will take ibasso considerably longer to sell the 320 MAX Ti out at that price point. Some of us are recovering financially from the 300Ti purchased - myself included. After all the 300MaX Ti was released a little more than 18 months ago on September 8, 2021. I have no doubt that the 320 Max will be pretty stellar sounding though but I will not buy it new. It starts to make more sense to wait for 6 or 8 months from now and pick a used one up at considerably discount. The 320 X edition is also very limited and it isn’t sold out either.
You make a good point. The way I see it one has two options: you either go for an (alleged/advertised) upgrade in sound every time a flagship DAP comes out from a given brand (let alone across the board). Then you are a true aficionado. You are also in possession of a bottomless wallet and, probably, relying on hype and hope, more than fact (as user reviews are distilled over time, usually later than at pre-sale time). Or, you get your hands on a more than decent flagship once and then use it while waiting for a few years to get your next TOTL DAP second-hand (and also when opinion has settled about it). It gives you far less access to a variety of experience with different DAPS, but preserves your non-bottomless wallet and probably makes for more reasoned purchasing (esp. if you are not technically savvy enough to infer the sound of the new DAP purely from its technical features and components).

Apr 10, 2023 at 7:17 AM Post #25 of 1,449
If I follow the translation correctly ("stepper" must be a mistranslation?) there are only 24 steps on the volume pot, so if up to 3 out of 24 steps are silent that might be annoying indeed. Traditionally stepped volume pots are about excellent channel matching across the entire volume range. Has anyone ever mentioned volume imbalance at low volumes for iBasso? Have read about low volume imbalance for iFi amps
That shouldn’t happen to stepped volume pot

Apr 10, 2023 at 8:26 AM Post #27 of 1,449
I can't say about iBasso channel matching as I only got DX300 and DX320x which both are digital volume pot.

But I don't think anything can be as bad as iFi volume pot, my iDSD BL have channel imbalance up to 10 o'clock or little more and iDSD Signature are not better if any at all the same goes for Diablo.

While my LP6 Ti have very little channel imbalance at 7 - 7 and half o'clock and totally fine after that.

Apr 10, 2023 at 8:28 AM Post #28 of 1,449
I can't say about iBasso channel matching as I only got DX300 and DX320x which both are digital volume pot.

But I don't think anything can be as bad as iFi volume pot, my iDSD BL have channel imbalance up to 10 o'clock or little more and iDSD Signature are not better if any at all the same goes for Diablo.

While my LP6 Ti have very little channel imbalance at 7 - 7 and half o'clock and totally fine after that.
Hey, 10 o’clock imbalanced is a defective potentiometer. Matter of fact, anything higher than 20% is. But then again, stepped pot with matched parts, shouldn’t have those problems

Apr 10, 2023 at 8:35 AM Post #29 of 1,449
Hey, 10 o’clock imbalanced is a defective potentiometer. Matter of fact, anything higher than 20% is. But then again, stepped pot with matched parts, shouldn’t have those problems
Not only the volume pot that they told me it's normal according to their standard 🤦‍♂️ tho. They also have a problem with IEmatch switch on both BL and Sig which I even share how to haphazardly fix it in reddit too. https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/r9d00w/sharing_my_experience_of_how_to_fix_the_iematch/

Apr 10, 2023 at 8:44 AM Post #30 of 1,449

Users who are viewing this thread

Back