E-MU Wooden Series Headphones
Aug 5, 2016 at 7:50 PM Post #271 of 1,969
Just to update you guys. Chan has posted a solution. It seems that they are going to add a CNC-metal on the ring to install a 2.5mm socket.
Newer version is believed to be available in November.

Nice. Glad I held out on buying a thx00. $50 extra is a great price.

Aug 7, 2016 at 6:18 AM Post #275 of 1,969
I am using HE400i as my main can but plan to replace it with E-mu Teak with teak cups since HE400i is too bass lite for my taste. I mainly listen to fast and complex music like prog rock, jazz fusion and some forms of extreme metal. I also listen to a lot of jazz. I wonder how much soundstage, transient response and imaging I will lose by switching to Teaks from HE400i. I won't mind a smaller, more intimate soundstage but imaging and separation must still be at least as good as HE400i.

I also plan to get an ebony cup to have the option of a basshead can when I occasionally listen to electronic or really want a fun, groovy listening session. 

Do you think Teaks will get the job done or should I try to save more and go for a LCD-2?

Aug 7, 2016 at 7:58 AM Post #276 of 1,969
I am using HE400i as my main can but plan to replace it with E-mu Teak with teak cups since HE400i is too bass lite for my taste. I mainly listen to fast and complex music like prog rock, jazz fusion and some forms of extreme metal. I also listen to a lot of jazz. I wonder how much soundstage, transient response and imaging I will lose by switching to Teaks from HE400i. I won't mind a smaller, more intimate soundstage but imaging and separation must still be at least as good as HE400i.

I also plan to get an ebony cup to have the option of a basshead can when I occasionally listen to electronic or really want a fun, groovy listening session. 

Do you think Teaks will get the job done or should I try to save more and go for a LCD-2?

From my experience, the lcd2 needs some serious amping to get the best from it. I would only consider audeze if you have a system to match. Even then, I still consider the emu teak to be a better sound.

Aug 7, 2016 at 8:27 AM Post #277 of 1,969

Imaging and separation won't be as good on the teaks as the HE400i. Your easiest solution is just EQing the HE400i. The LCD2.2f will have the bass and imaging, but like the other person said, requires a great amp.

Aug 7, 2016 at 12:51 PM Post #278 of 1,969

I think the Teaks should take care a' ya very nicely - and hey, this coming the "Audeze Jihadist"

Now - the LCD-2 is still one of my faves

Aug 8, 2016 at 3:03 AM Post #279 of 1,969
Imaging and separation won't be as good on the teaks as the HE400i. Your easiest solution is just EQing the HE400i. The LCD2.2f will have the bass and imaging, but like the other person said, requires a great amp.

From my experience, the lcd2 needs some serious amping to get the best from it. I would only consider audeze if you have a system to match. Even then, I still consider the emu teak to be a better sound.

Thank you for the input guys. I konw next to nothing about EQing but I might as well try before replacing the HE400i as it will cost me nothing. I have a magni 2 right now but planning to get a Violectric V90 if I go LCD2 route. @chry5alis Can you elaborate a bit on why you prefer Teaks over LCD2?

Aug 8, 2016 at 4:17 AM Post #281 of 1,969
Thank you for the input guys. I konw next to nothing about EQing but I might as well try before replacing the HE400i as it will cost me nothing. I have a magni 2 right now but planning to get a Violectric V90 if I go LCD2 route. @chry5alis
Can you elaborate a bit on why you prefer Teaks over LCD2?

First I must say, with the vegan pads and headband attachment the lcds are the comfiest headphone Ive ever worn, ideal for long listening sessions. But the sound was always a disappointment to me - very narrow soundstage for an open headphone. The bass was present but nothing special, imaging and delivery were good. I tried eq'ing but couldnt get the sound I was after and ended up spending more time on my fidelio x2.

The teaks are a lovely headphone, very sharp and fast, strong mids and good quality of bass. Soundstage is surprisingly good. I love that when I begin to tire of the sound I just swap the cups over to rosewood and start off again with a completely different sound sig. Its the rosewood cups that I have on just now.

Tl:dr
Lcd2 are an open can with a closed sound
Emu teaks are a closed can with an open sound

Aug 9, 2016 at 4:32 AM Post #282 of 1,969
First I must say, with the vegan pads and headband attachment the lcds are the comfiest headphone Ive ever worn, ideal for long listening sessions. But the sound was always a disappointment to me - very narrow soundstage for an open headphone. The bass was present but nothing special, imaging and delivery were good. I tried eq'ing but couldnt get the sound I was after and ended up spending more time on my fidelio x2.

The teaks are a lovely headphone, very sharp and fast, strong mids and good quality of bass. Soundstage is surprisingly good. I love that when I begin to tire of the sound I just swap the cups over to rosewood and start off again with a completely different sound sig. Its the rosewood cups that I have on just now.

Missed the drop as I overslept. I'll look at buying directly from E-mu.

Aug 19, 2016 at 11:32 AM Post #284 of 1,969

Missed the drop as I overslept. I'll look at buying directly from E-mu.

Screw the drop. Almost same price. In fact just mail chan and get em from him. I got mine shipped to me in a day. Go figure. Take that, massdrop!!!

Aug 19, 2016 at 11:38 AM Post #285 of 1,969
Thank you for the input guys. I konw next to nothing about EQing but I might as well try before replacing the HE400i as it will cost me nothing. I have a magni 2 right now but planning to get a Violectric V90 if I go LCD2 route. @chry5alis
Can you elaborate a bit on why you prefer Teaks over LCD2?

Wow. Thanks for the info. A proud owner of EMUs I guess I can rest assured I have good sound and saved money in the process too.

Just to add here, EMUs arent a 100% closed. The outer ring at the edge makes them the minimally semi open cans. I like to think thats the recipe for getting soundstage without compromising the bass part.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back