"Ear Kegs" - MusicMaker Phantom III / Shockwave III appreciation & impressions
Jul 25, 2019 at 1:39 AM Post #1,771 of 1,906
No, the treble don't get tamed. The treble came from a BA-driver and there is no burn-in or taming. The best way to tame the BA-driver is to put a damper from knowles on it. There a many dampers with different colors. You have to try one of these, but i don't know which one. The Dunu DN-2000J and the LZ A5 had that nasty sibilance too. The SW3 had some sibilance, but men, i crave for its holographic stage. It was the best stage that i ever heard in a under 1000 bucks iem! I think about i to buy another one with all dampers from knowles and mod it. The form of the housing, the bass and holographic stage is what i wish in other iems, really!

Jul 25, 2019 at 2:20 AM Post #1,772 of 1,906
No, the treble don't get tamed. The treble came from a BA-driver and there is no burn-in or taming. The best way to tame the BA-driver is to put a damper from knowles on it. There a many dampers with different colors. You have to try one of these, but i don't know which one. The Dunu DN-2000J and the LZ A5 had that nasty sibilance too. The SW3 had some sibilance, but men, i crave for its holographic stage. It was the best stage that i ever heard in a under 1000 bucks iem! I think about i to buy another one with all dampers from knowles and mod it. The form of the housing, the bass and holographic stage is what i wish in other iems, really!

thats also what ive been looking to hear for, those holographic soundstage that people are saying over these, but man I just dont like harsh treble in general thats why i keep modding my headphones. Maybe my best choice here is go for the fixed cable ver. to be safe, I'll just try to get over with those stock cables the sw iii have (if only it have the same quality of cable they used on the 9way or to400s) looking at it, its very similar to my toneking Unicorns cable which I rather find it to be mehh, I just dont like exposed silver plated cables in general.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2019 at 4:37 AM Post #1,774 of 1,906
Firstly, BA's certainly can tame and change after burn just not as much OR as often as Dynamic drivers
Secondly - I have owned fixed fixed cable SWIII for around 10 years and have NEVER experienced ANY sibilance.
You couldn't get a more sibilant free headphone!.
As has been said before = SOME people reported this issue but a,. they NEED at least 400 hours burn in / use and b, there was a later re-tuned version of SWIII which people (who are younger?) or who had a bad batch? found some issues with the treble :)

Jul 25, 2019 at 4:56 AM Post #1,775 of 1,906
When you get the fixed-cable version of the SW3, could you tell me if they have sibilance in the highs? When they don't have that nasty highs, then i will buy these too and mod them to a mmcx version.

just pulled the trigger and bought the silver; fixed cable version, will arrive in a week or so, I'll try to post my initial impressions as soon as I can.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2019 at 5:03 AM Post #1,776 of 1,906
Firstly, BA's certainly can tame and change after burn just not as much OR as often as Dynamic drivers
Secondly - I have owned fixed fixed cable SWIII for around 10 years and have NEVER experienced ANY sibilance.
You couldn't get a more sibilant free headphone!.
As has been said before = SOME people reported this issue but a,. they NEED at least 400 hours burn in / use and b, there was a later re-tuned version of SWIII which people (who are younger?) or who had a bad batch? found some issues with the treble :)

10 years? damn, btw is there any iem or headphone that you have or had that can rival the sw iii overall?

Also as I've said recently, I saw a post on their sw iii taobao page and they've showned a different frequency graph for the mmcx ver. its an obvious v-shape sound signature, if only I took a screenshot of it. And those recently deleted reviews has been similar to what the graph has shown, bassy and harsh in the highs, maybe thats the reason why they keep deleting older reviews on the sw iii product page.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2019 at 1:38 AM Post #1,778 of 1,906
Asked the seller whether the batch that I ordered are from the first fixed cable batches or the recent ones, he gave me the recent ones, I just hope they didn't re-tuned it again similar to the mmcx version.

Also; looks like the recent batches have different cables now too.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2019 at 3:43 AM Post #1,779 of 1,906
I am pretty content with them. There will always be the next big thing or something better. If I had unlimited funds it would be nice. But right now unless something extraordinary comes up like the end-all, be all Giant Killers we are all looking for, I'm pretty ecstatic with my purchasr of the Shockwaves. They turned out to be much better than I had even hoped they would
:grinning::grinning: TWIN
Hi. I'm new to this party. Many of the posts praising the SW III were made in 2016, it's now 2019 and there appears to have been some design changes, are you still as enthusiastic about the SWIII now as you were then? I just unloaded a set of xelento that got trounced by Tin Hifi P1 but I'm still looking for another set of outstanding IEM. Still recommend these? And how does one find the Easy store to request a headfi a discount on them?

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2019 at 9:48 AM Post #1,780 of 1,906
Hi. I'm new to this party. Many of the posts praising the SW III were made in 2016, it's now 2019 and there appears to have been some design changes, are you still as enthusiastic about the SWIII now as you were then? I just unloaded a set of xelento that got trounced by Tin Hifi P1 but I'm still looking for another set of outstanding IEM. Still recommend these? And how does one find the Easy store to request a headfi a discount on them?
I have an almost brand new set I'd be willing to sell you if you're interested, man. They're the black with MMCX cable, and have no conne tion issues with either side and sound fantastic. Let me know if you're interested.

Aug 4, 2019 at 11:45 AM Post #1,781 of 1,906
It is still a top tear IEM for me that matches much more expensive IEM such as Andromeda's for example. One of a very small number of earphones that I wont ever sell :)

Aug 4, 2019 at 12:09 PM Post #1,782 of 1,906
Thats good to know. I feel the same way about The Tin P1 it's astounding, power hungry, but astounding. Chi Fi is eating the lunch of western brands. $$ are no longer an indication of SQ and the rate of diminishing returns has greatly increased. Thanks for the reply.

Aug 4, 2019 at 12:22 PM Post #1,783 of 1,906
Thats good to know. I feel the same way about The Tin P1 it's astounding, power hungry, but astounding. Chi Fi is eating the lunch of western brands. $$ are no longer an indication of SQ and the rate of diminishing returns has greatly increased. Thanks for the reply.

I might be meeting someone the week after next with the newer MMCX version of the SW III and if it works out I will be able to compare his with my own fixed cable version ! - might be worth hanging on till then so I can give a definitive answer
as to how different the tuning [might] be?
Good to know about the P1 - Mine arrives this Tuesday :)

Aug 4, 2019 at 3:47 PM Post #1,784 of 1,906
They too get better with age but they don't need 400 hours!

Aug 4, 2019 at 10:55 PM Post #1,785 of 1,906
I have an almost brand new set I'd be willing to sell you if you're interested, man. They're the black with MMCX cable, and have no conne tion issues with either side and sound fantastic. Let me know if you're interested.
Sent you a PM. lets talk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back