"Ear Kegs" - MusicMaker Phantom III / Shockwave III appreciation & impressions
Apr 8, 2017 at 8:34 AM Post #1,546 of 1,906
I have the SWlll and they are the best IEM i have , by far!
With the (B/O Tuned) LGV20 i can listen many hours without that annoying closed in feeling i am susceptible to with other IEMs.
I have the early non detachable version.
I use the standard tips they came with and wear them down where they just sit fully sealed.
Definitely Holographic :thumbsup: from me :smile:

Apr 8, 2017 at 12:53 PM Post #1,548 of 1,906

cool.gif
Bright? Yes. Sibilant? No. At least my Pair. I would be extremely surprised if the IT03 has more Sub-Bass. The SWIII has the Deepest extension I have heard yet of any Price Range IEM that I have personally heard. You NEED sufficient POWER or they will sound like Dookie.

JMHO

I like Auvio Wide Bore tips with these.

beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
TWIN

Twin I seem to be following you around in various threads. 

I just got my second pair of SW3, which are the MMCX version. My older pair, which I sold (like an idiot) were an early batch and if memory serves, these sound identical. I do not get any sibilance, but the treble is there and quite extended. On certain tracks, at certain volumes, sure there is a bit too much treble for my tastes. But I am not sure I believe this whole some-are-sibilant-and-some-aren't theory. I think everyone's ears are different. Anyway, I'm really glad I bought them again and now I got the MMCX so I can use them balanced. 

Like you guys said, I think it's important to pair these with a proper source with proper power. Despite being fairly easy to drive, I think they benefit from a proper amp. The sub-bass is outstanding and the highs are crystal clear and I enjoy the v-shaped sound signature. Overall, I love them and they are unique amongst my IEMs. The mailman literally just dropped off my new Ted Allen pure copper MMCX cable, so I'm going to try with that and see how things go. 

@jon parker I would totally send mine to you to put this whole sibilant vs. non-sibilant issue to rest, but I'm in the US and worry a bit about the shipping. Let me look into options okay? 

Best, 

-Collin-

Apr 8, 2017 at 1:19 PM Post #1,549 of 1,906
That's really kind Colin
I would of course, in turn be happy to send them back tracked and insured
Would be great to get some closure on this
I had a 2 hour session with them today and they could not be further away from 'too bright to listen to'

I wonder wether everyone has fulfilled the needed 300+ hour burn in?

Apr 8, 2017 at 1:40 PM Post #1,550 of 1,906
  That's really kind Colin
I had a 2 hour session with them today and they could not be further away from 'too bright to listen to'

I burned in my first pair for one day, and will do the same to these. I'll PM you in a few days and we can discuss options!

Cheers, 

-Collin-

Apr 10, 2017 at 10:27 AM Post #1,551 of 1,906
I'm pretty sure this is also different ears for different folks.

They could all have the same sibilance, but some of us have less tolerance for it than others.

The only way to tell is to A/B them. I'm willing to receive an old or send a new pair out for testing, given that who ever does the sending receives a deposit equal to the full retail amount of the IEM.

Apr 10, 2017 at 11:41 AM Post #1,552 of 1,906
I have tried again today sw3 and it03 with fiio x3 with fiio a1 amp.
There is no diiference at result.İt 03 has smoother trebles,fronter vocals,More subbass and subbass rumble than Sw3.
It03-Fidue Tips.
Sw3-Oriolus Tips.

Apr 10, 2017 at 12:16 PM Post #1,553 of 1,906
Hi, mates
Elano is my friend and i have lent my sw3 to him. My sw3 hasn't completed burn in process yet(up to now about 210 hours). Out of the box, I couldn't achieve to listen to it longer than 5 minutes. But, after 200 hours of burn in, it have become a much more smooth sounding iem. I can't say that its bright sound signature has completely turned into a warm sounding one. There are improvements in subbass and vocal area as the burn in process continues. But, it is still bright sounding iem, comparing it with say it03.

It is a very capable iem and its sound quality is way above from its price point. However, Sw3's treble quantity is much more excessive for some(even for me, i'm not treble sensitive, i love treble and airy sound). I love the treble extension that sw3 offers, it is truly impressive; but sometimes treble can be harsh, depending on what you listen,or recording. I believe that sw3 makes choices between recordings to sound its best. Sw3 does also deliver impressive subbass(in terms of both rumble and quantity), but it03 delivers even more(with Fidue A73's stock small grey tips).

Lastly, I think the sibilance issue is occuring depending on recordings, not on units we have.

F5121 cihazımdan Tapatalk kullanılarak gönderildi

Apr 10, 2017 at 2:30 PM Post #1,554 of 1,906
Hi, mates
Elano is my friend and i have lent my sw3 to him. My sw3 hasn't completed burn in process yet(up to now about 210 hours). Out of the box, I couldn't achieve to listen to it longer than 5 minutes. But, after 200 hours of burn in, it have become a much more smooth sounding iem. I can't say that its bright sound signature has completely turned into a warm sounding one. There are improvements in subbass and vocal area as the burn in process continues. But, it is still bright sounding iem, comparing it with say it03.

It is a very capable iem and its sound quality is way above from its price point. However, Sw3's treble quantity is much more excessive for some(even for me, i'm not treble sensitive, i love treble and airy sound). I love the treble extension that sw3 offers, it is truly impressive; but sometimes treble can be harsh, depending on what you listen,or recording. I believe that sw3 makes choices between recordings to sound its best. Sw3 does also deliver impressive subbass(in terms of both rumble and quantity), but it03 delivers even more(with Fidue A73's stock small grey tips).

Lastly, I think the sibilance issue is occuring depending on recordings, not on units we have.

F5121 cihazımdan Tapatalk kullanılarak gönderildi

It's definitely gotten smoother over time. But it's a long long long time.

Apr 10, 2017 at 5:26 PM Post #1,555 of 1,906
cool.gif
Just like we found out through +500 reviews on Tao Bao, they need a MINIMUM of 350 Hours. I know this sounds insane but it is absolutely true. I have even read other forums where they are scoffing at 350 Hours, and at myself for suggesting it.

To them I say F.Y.  The proof is in the pudding.

beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
TWIN

Apr 10, 2017 at 11:43 PM Post #1,557 of 1,906
  That's really kind Colin

I think this is just as subjective as people saying one unit is sibilant vs another.

I have had my SWs for about 6 months now and i listen to them as little as 2 hours a day or as much as 4-5.  I would be more curious to participate in this experiment as i have tinnitus and this could be why i am hearing ssssss in many recordings.  Ironically, i do not hear this on any other IEM i own.

Apr 11, 2017 at 9:31 AM Post #1,558 of 1,906
I think this is just as subjective as people saying one unit is sibilant vs another.

I have had my SWs for about 6 months now and i listen to them as little as 2 hours a day or as much as 4-5.  I would be more curious to participate in this experiment as i have tinnitus and this could be why i am hearing ssssss in many recordings.  Ironically, i do not hear this on any other IEM i own.
These are my daily driver.

I'm sensitive to sibilance, as in I pick it up easily, but it is not uncomfortable. These can have sibilance on 's' noises and cymbals, but the sibilance was harsher at the beginning than now. Call it a combination of burn-in and brain burn-in.

Apr 11, 2017 at 1:43 PM Post #1,559 of 1,906
OOTB the SWIII is indeed very bright. I initially got disappointed as it didn't have the oomph I was expecting from it bass wise.

Took out the silicon tips and exchanged it with the foam tips and boy it got better. I initially used the red ones but struggled to get a good seal. Transitioned to the blue one, which looks a tad bit narrower, and got a better seal.

I tried to play with my other tips and found the foam ones that came with the k3p gave me the best seal.

Still on the look out for foam tips which are a tad bit narrower than the ones that came with the k3p to give me the perfect seal.

I'm just on my first day with the keg so I'll be updating this thread more

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Apr 11, 2017 at 3:23 PM Post #1,560 of 1,906
Well, this is probably my favorite source yet with the SW3 yet (despite a high noise floor): 

ALO International +, RSA to 2.5mm TRRS adapter, Dunu balanced cable, SW3. No sibilance, just pure musical bliss. Fantastic!

Now, back to the Twin-approved 6,000 hours of burn-in.

-Collin-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back