Earbuds Round-Up
Jan 1, 2018 at 5:39 PM Post #26,626 of 75,759
happy new year guys! :tada::tada::tada:

started the new year with a new DAP and finally! going balanced. can anyone recommend some entry-level and TOTL balanced buds?

thanks in advance.
x
Gotta say the BS1 for the price. $99 for two buds if the deal is still going or for one if not. Regardless it’s a great deal.

I’d call it TOTL level at a good price.

Jan 1, 2018 at 6:43 PM Post #26,627 of 75,759
Happy hunting!

And may this not happen to your wallet!

giphy.gif

Jan 1, 2018 at 6:55 PM Post #26,629 of 75,759
Jan 1, 2018 at 7:24 PM Post #26,631 of 75,759
I would grab another bs1 official alone for 99$ if they just made it lighter!
Yeah I think the heavy slider is a design flaw. I'm ok with it now but every now and again it makes the buds slip out of position which is annoying.

I actually looked at it to make sure it wasn't a two piece design because I was tempted to pry it off lol.

Someone should tell penon, maybe I'll email them to give them a heads up because other than that the earbud and cable are brilliant.

Jan 1, 2018 at 7:42 PM Post #26,632 of 75,759
Can anyone recommend me a cheap/very cheap bass heavy earbud with a lot of bass for an earbud(/open headphone)? I'm thinking similar to HD558, obviously I don't expect much sub bass or any for that matter but the closer it gets the better and I also prefer it to be neutral in rest, if the treble rolls of a bit or spikes a bit it's not a problem but I don't like U shape signatures. I also don't if it has more mid bass than the hd558. If there are more expensive earbuds that fit the bill I would not mid finding out about them even if I may not buy them.

Jan 1, 2018 at 7:42 PM Post #26,633 of 75,759
What is the difference between to two models of the NiceHCK DIY Graphene MX760 earbuds, other that the new one being 33% cheaper?

i am not sure whats the difference but the new graphenes i have seem to be , if not wrong does not have the same signature as the old ones. maybe there are pros and cons to each.

I just did a bit of a/b'ing out of my laptop (foobar2000) -> zuperdac -> cayin c5, listening to
and

Man, I'm just not any good at describing sound differences!

Anyway, fwiw:
- they have similar signatures, but then again have some relevant differences
- it's harder to drive the olds
- the olds seem to have more air between instruments, resulting in better layering and instrument separation
- the olds have more depth and 3d'ness, whereas the news are more 2d'like
- male vocals on the news are more forward, and the news seem a bit fuller and lush sounding.
- olds seem to have more detailed & layered bass which extends lower, whereas the news have more mid-bass
- although the news don't sound veiled to me, in direct comparison with the olds, you might get that impression that they are slighly veiled
- the news can get a bit congested in busier sections such as the 3:15 mark of the exit song, whereas the drivers of the olds can handle it better and retain more instrument separation and imaging

Although I give the win to the olds, I really do like news as well and I'm happy to have both.

Jan 1, 2018 at 7:51 PM Post #26,634 of 75,759
Can anyone recommend me a cheap/very cheap bass heavy earbud with a lot of bass for an earbud(/open headphone)? I'm thinking similar to HD558, obviously I don't expect much sub bass or any for that matter but the closer it gets the better and I also prefer it to be neutral in rest, if the treble rolls of a bit or spikes a bit it's not a problem but I don't like U shape signatures. I also don't if it has more mid bass than the hd558. If there are more expensive earbuds that fit the bill I would not mid finding out about them even if I may not buy them.

Vido $3 (abit uneven but mids and highs are balanced and bass emphasised, cannot remember the tonality but I think neutral or slighly warm)
Emx500 $10 (slighty U shaped and slightly warm but not too warm)
HE150 pro $29 (or so I've heard it has the bass you want and possibly neutral if I remember what I read in a review)

Jan 1, 2018 at 8:06 PM Post #26,636 of 75,759
I'm currently having my MX985s re-cabled. Does anyone know a good source for audiophile-grade earbud cables? I am looking for pure copper, or pure silver, and obviously nothing bulky. Any help would be appreciated!

Jan 1, 2018 at 10:39 PM Post #26,637 of 75,759
Got the ABnormal Sound Duotres in. Out of the box, these are overkill on the mid-bass. Over does it on most songs for me. I guess they make good basshead buds though.

Jan 2, 2018 at 12:16 AM Post #26,638 of 75,759
I'm currently having my MX985s re-cabled. Does anyone know a good source for audiophile-grade earbud cables? I am looking for pure copper, or pure silver, and obviously nothing bulky. Any help would be appreciated!
I recommend 2 brands e.g. DHC and TOXIC. Please choose not over 24awg or O.D. (outer diameter) not more than 1.1 mm since a earbud cable hole at shell has too limited space. By the way, 24awg cables of DHC are currently out of stock. Hope they will re-stock soon.

P.S. the less number of AWG means thicker O.D. size.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2018 at 1:23 AM Post #26,639 of 75,759
Got the ABnormal Sound Duotres in. Out of the box, these are overkill on the mid-bass. Over does it on most songs for me. I guess they make good basshead buds though.
I might get a pair out of curiosity if I find them cheaper but looking at what I think is the official graph, the treble is way too rolled off so it won't happen now.

Jan 2, 2018 at 5:54 AM Post #26,640 of 75,759
So my goal for 2018 is, to get my earbuds into a place where they're somewhat ordered instead of being all over the place. What would you guys recommend?
I remember seeing a "case" with many transparent, small drawers but I'm not sure what I should search this thread for. What are those called?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back