Earbuds Round-Up
Aug 30, 2022 at 2:53 AM Post #64,037 of 75,613
The FF3 is the first bud that has me really excited about a big name commercial earbud since I started DIYing. Once I realized how easy it was to DIY really well… well, it’s going to take something unique and special from the commercial realm to get me excited. The FF3 is that. The FF5 has a lot to live up to. Even at that, my 130Be is tuned to sound very similar to the FF3. It has a little less bass and a little more treble… but it’s very similar. It lighter, has a more easily managed cable and a microphone for calling. Hard to beat for $20. The FF3 is sexier, but the 130Be is less likely to be stolen. :wink:
Doc, have you try rivet mod?

Aug 30, 2022 at 9:53 AM Post #64,038 of 75,613
Doc, have you try rivet mod?
Not yet…. I’m thinking about ordering another one to really experiment with. I have no extra shells at the moment and if I don’t like it, I can’t just go back. The balance is so good. Best tonal balance I have on any headphone and it certainly competes with my home theater barring the 22hz bass response and 40kHz treble that likely annoys my dog. My home theater has thousands of dollars put into it with extreme OCD-like care placed on every decision, position and calibration. The fact that I’m speaking about a $20 bud that took less than an hour of my life in total to build in the same light and regard is a bit mind boggling. The FF3 is not that far away tonally with the right foams and has a little better soundstage. The character of its bass response and midrange has a unique quality to it that makes it a worthy member to the stable. I really couldn’t pick one of these over the other, but if I only had $20, I wouldn’t feel like I was missing out. I know there’s likely more performance in this driver that hasn’t been tapped. It will come in version 2.0 as long as I can maintain the treble balance, but it will be a while.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2022 at 11:54 AM Post #64,042 of 75,613
I got my new buds from @FranQL. WOW! I have to say that both @Ronion and @FranQL were right. The Smabat 150Ti has some serious potential. @ FranQL has outdone himself on these. The tuning is similar to the FQL Blackhole Redux (with some positive tweaks), but the technicalities and acoustics are on a whole new level IMHO. I was just listening to them, and I heard a sound from the left side and because the dynamics are so good, and the staging is SO wide, I thought it was actually coming from outside my house. I felt pretty stupid when I actually got up to go look... LOL

20220830_113956.jpg

20220830_114205.jpg

20220830_114217.jpg

Aug 30, 2022 at 1:02 PM Post #64,043 of 75,613
When doing a search for this, it seems as though Motorola phones HAVE indeed popped up more times than most others, so I wonder if it is something about their proprietary software integration that reacts (incorrectly) to android updates or the like?!

If it is, they don't seem to know how to fix it very easily. I am working with their chat support right now.

BTW, Fiio got back to me about the foams. They aren't planning on selling them, but I was given an email address for a parts and repairs desk to see if I can arrange to have some shipped to me. I will keep you guys posted as to what happens.

Aug 30, 2022 at 1:46 PM Post #64,044 of 75,613
If it is, they don't seem to know how to fix it very easily. I am working with their chat support right now.

BTW, Fiio got back to me about the foams. They aren't planning on selling them, but I was given an email address for a parts and repairs desk to see if I can arrange to have some shipped to me. I will keep you guys posted as to what happens.
Maybe that is why I found so many articles when doing a search (all the way back to 2017 or so). They have never really admitted it as being an issue, let alone fixed it.

Sounds great, thanks!

Aug 30, 2022 at 2:23 PM Post #64,045 of 75,613
Maybe that is why I found so many articles when doing a search (all the way back to 2017 or so). They have never really admitted it as being an issue, let alone fixed it.

Sounds great, thanks!

The tech support dude I'm chatting with says he has helped several people with it, but he sure doesn't seem to be good at it lol!

To get back on topic, those of you with the FF3s really need to listen to Polyphia's new album New Levels New Devils. It's a really cool instrumental work that pushes all the strengths of the FF3s and sounds great. I would encourage anyone to listen to it regardless of FF3 ownership, but I was impressed with how they handled it in particular. Let me know what you guys think.

Edit: As pointed out below, this album isn't new. I can be a bit of a dunce sometimes...lol

Attachments

• 640x640.jpg
    640x640.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 30, 2022 at 4:09 PM Post #64,046 of 75,613
Does anyone know of a bud that uses bone conduction? Seems like it might be a good way to give a the feeling of sub-bass.

If not then I might try and DIY one at some point with this driver.

Aug 30, 2022 at 4:54 PM Post #64,047 of 75,613
Does anyone know of a bud that uses bone conduction? Seems like it might be a good way to give a the feeling of sub-bass.

If not then I might try and DIY one at some point with this driver.

Earbuds don't maintian contact with the areas/bones that I have seen bone conduction sets using. As a matter of fact, they don't touch anything but cartilage.

Edit: I'd be interested to see how you go about combining bone conduction with earbuds, though.

Aug 30, 2022 at 5:02 PM Post #64,048 of 75,613
Earbuds don't maintian contact with the areas/bones that I have seen bone conduction sets using. As a matter of fact, they don't touch anything but cartilage.

Edit: I'd be interested to see how you go about combining bone conduction with earbuds, though.
True, but IEMs don't usually make contact with bony areas either and there have been a few recently that have implemented them (though it's debateable as to whether or not they're effective).
I'd have to use some trial and error as the smallest driver I could find is Ø15mm which doesn't leave much room for a second driver to handle the actual sound. Maybe a BA?

Aug 30, 2022 at 5:19 PM Post #64,049 of 75,613
True, but IEMs don't usually make contact with bony areas either and there have been a few recently that have implemented them (though it's debateable as to whether or not they're effective).
I'd have to use some trial and error as the smallest driver I could find is Ø15mm which doesn't leave much room for a second driver to handle the actual sound. Maybe a BA?

I wasn't saying it's not possible. I don't know if it is or not. I think you should go for it because AFAIK there aren't any bone conduction transducers combined with a tradition flathead form. I assume you're talking about making a bone conduction and dynamic driver earbud hybrid, right? The basic idea being that the earbud's dynamic driver would be full range with the bone conduction unit adding to low end rumble and bass presence/perception.

That's what I was imagining based off what you said and it sounds like a cool idea if you can get it to work without compromising on sound quality. The pure bone conduction sets sound pretty low fi. I haven't tried the IEMs yet, but I would imagine that using the bone conduction to suppliment low end perception rather than to replace a regular full range driver would be much better sounding. Definitely keep me/us posted if you do this.

Aug 30, 2022 at 5:45 PM Post #64,050 of 75,613
To get back on topic, those of you with the FF3s really need to listen to Polyphia's new album New Levels New Devils. It's a really cool instrumental work that pushes all the strengths of the FF3s and sounds great. I would encourage anyone to listen to it regardless of FF3 ownership, but I was impressed with how they handled it in particular. Let me know what you guys think.

I don't have the FF3's yet, so I'm listening with the Nighthawks instead. I'm trying to get some work done, but I can't - this darned album is too good and requires too much attention! Good rec, thanks.

Edit: btw I see that this is from 2018, and that their most recent album is "Remember That You Will Die" (I'm not sure if it's out yet).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back