Earbuds Round-Up
Oct 22, 2022 at 4:00 PM Post #66,196 of 75,618
Any good thin foam recommendations? Loving the ones that come with VE Monks but looking for something even thinner/equally thin.
I’m a big fan of the VE foam selection in general. I know that Trig Rain makes some that are even more porous but the irritate my ears. The material reminds me of the rough side of a dish sponge. I understand that they do make ones out of a more normal material that are very well received.
Have anyone tried monk v2s or the old ones? Are they as good as veclan fanboys say?
Anyone know which version is coming with the Megatron? I’m definitely interested in them since they are probably the major gateway bud into the hobby.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2022 at 4:10 PM Post #66,197 of 75,618
I was looking into those recently. The ones available to me are around $20. Do you think it is still worth it? I have tried the Iris CE and Iris 2.0 and wasn't too impressed. Though, I am interested in the fact that they are 150 Ohms.
I'm just going to jump in and say that Faaeal Rosemary with an easy mod (in addition to using thinner foams) is among my favorite buds right now hands down - I got mine for $23 after tax and shipping and it was WELL worth it - I would have been happy with the sound even if I paid $100.

Just seal the back vents using Scotch tape or similar, leaving just one of the small vents on each bud open, then use a thin foam. The result is that it becomes quite a capable performer that hangs in there with the heavy hitters around $100 (in my own opinion at least - and fwiw, $20 hopefully isn't too expensive to buy based on my recommendation).

Stock it is still pretty good at the $20 mark. But out of the box it is definitely bass heavy with a good amount of bloat bordering on muddiness - with the mod, the signature of the buds change completely - modded it becomes very balanced - bass tightens up and is toned down a bit, becoming more textured and less overwhelming, mids gain a great body, and overall it gains more clarity and air from a cleaned up treble.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2022 at 5:34 PM Post #66,200 of 75,618
Anyone know which version is coming with the Megatron? I’m definitely interested in them since they are probably the major gateway bud into the hobby.

Every Megatron comes with a monk+ (not monk v2, afaik). The default bundle that VE sells also has a VE master 4.4 (metal mx500 shell, 80ohm, 122dB/mW). I have already complained with VE that the master is a poor choice to show off Megatron. Should have packed something way harder to drive instead :beyersmile:

Edit: After A/B VE Master 4.4 against other sources in my collection, I found that the Master sounds the worst with Megatron. What was VE thinking :dt880smile: Those VE Master 4.4 connected to S9 Pro or Fiio stuffs is quite impressive. I use Master more than FF3 nowadays because they nearly match the performance, and FF3’s cable make me angry.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2022 at 6:07 PM Post #66,201 of 75,618
I’m a big fan of the VE foam selection in general. I know that Trig Rain makes some that are even more porous but the irritate my ears. The material reminds me of the rough side of a dish sponge. I understand that they do make ones out of a more normal material that are very well received.

The monk+, just got my Megatron yesterday, really surprised by these monks - in a positive way. Even compared to a lot of more modern buds they're still great. Definitely a keeper.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2022 at 7:09 PM Post #66,202 of 75,618
Revolutionary customer review on TONEKING Dendroaspis Viridis:
"Hands down my favorite pair of earbuds ever! I prefer them to my Moondrop Chaconnes, my Rose Technics Martinis, And Ksearphone LBBS. The Dendroaspis Viridis is the most detailed earbud I have tried, with a nice holographic 3d soundstage, tight/cobtrolled bass, fast detailed mids, and sweet, sparkly highs. They are exactly what I would have made an earbud sound like if I designed it perfectly to my tastes. These are amazing!"

Oct 22, 2022 at 8:11 PM Post #66,203 of 75,618
Oct 22, 2022 at 9:22 PM Post #66,204 of 75,618
Every Megatron comes with a monk+ (not monk v2, afaik). The default bundle that VE sells also has a VE master 4.4 (metal mx500 shell, 80ohm, 122dB/mW). I have already complained with VE that the master is a poor choice to show off Megatron. Should have packed something way harder to drive instead :beyersmile:

Edit: After A/B VE Master 4.4 against other sources in my collection, I found that the Master sounds the worst with Megatron. What was VE thinking :dt880smile: Those VE Master 4.4 connected to S9 Pro or Fiio stuffs is quite impressive. I use Master more than FF3 nowadays because they nearly match the performance, and FF3’s cable make me angry.
I’m fairly certain that the Monk isn’t going to be a great match either….

Oct 22, 2022 at 9:57 PM Post #66,205 of 75,618

I like Trig Rain as well. The only bad thing is that some of the colors tend to bleed for whatever reason. For ex. If I have a green on L and a yellow on R, the yellow would bleed onto the green foam and vice versa. Also not sure what kind of foams Blur uses but similar, ordered 2 buds from him and he shipped them with blue colored foams on them and a few spots on the cable, there is permanent blue on it. Kind of want to try VEs though.

I have recently converted to HieGi, a bit thicker but makes fit better for me. Downside only comes in black and white but have open hole option.

Oct 22, 2022 at 10:23 PM Post #66,206 of 75,618
I find HieGi to be incredibly comfortable and durable. The best I’ve found on those 2 fronts. They will dull the treble more than other foams and with some buds they’ll even decrease the low bass. These features can be used to tune buds to your liking.

Oct 22, 2022 at 10:33 PM Post #66,207 of 75,618
I'm just going to jump in and say that Faaeal Rosemary with an easy mod (in addition to using thinner foams) is among my favorite buds right now hands down - I got mine for $23 after tax and shipping and it was WELL worth it - I would have been happy with the sound even if I paid $100.

Just seal the back vents using Scotch tape or similar, leaving just one of the small vents on each bud open, then use a thin foam. The result is that it becomes quite a capable performer that hangs in there with the heavy hitters around $100 (in my own opinion at least - and fwiw, $20 hopefully isn't too expensive to buy based on my recommendation).

Stock it is still pretty good at the $20 mark. But out of the box it is definitely bass heavy with a good amount of bloat bordering on muddiness - with the mod, the signature of the buds change completely - modded it becomes very balanced - bass tightens up and is toned down a bit, becoming more textured and less overwhelming, mids gain a great body, and overall it gains more clarity and air from a cleaned up treble.
Got some pics that I can follow? Would love to try this mod out on mine, they've been collecting dust since I don't like overly warm buds.

Oct 22, 2022 at 10:40 PM Post #66,208 of 75,618
Got some pics that I can follow? Would love to try this mod out on mine, they've been collecting dust since I don't like overly warm buds.
That mod should work! I like to do this with wax ear plugs. You just pull a little off and stick it in the little holes behind the drivers. Plug as many as you like: season to taste.

Oct 22, 2022 at 10:44 PM Post #66,209 of 75,618
That mod should work! I like to do this with wax ear plugs. You just pull a little off and stick it in the little holes behind the drivers. Plug as many as you like: season to taste.
Got it, I initially put tape over all the holes and then just one side of each earbud. I'll mess around with each individual hole instead of the whole side now.

Oct 22, 2022 at 11:05 PM Post #66,210 of 75,618
It's ugly and I've since cleaned it up but this should give you an idea of what I did!

The more holes you cover, the less bloated it will be! I ended up covering all but one little hole.

Covering all the vents basically kills off bass so I reckon the next step past that is to cover the little hole with micropore tape or something porous and thin so it still has some bass response!

Attachments

• 09ebec2b-4a01-44de-9a10-e958c9347bb8.jpg
    09ebec2b-4a01-44de-9a10-e958c9347bb8.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back