Earbuds Round-Up
Oct 26, 2022 at 12:51 AM Post #66,256 of 75,613
@ClieOS by Tai Planar Magnetic Earbud DIY v3 is now available to a lucky few! What an extraordinarily outstanding development this is! Really pushing the flathead tech envelope and to new horizons! Bravo sir! We are all so very impressed.

1666759720254.png

ClieOS's Random DIY Build Thread - [Updated: Aug 26th, 22] - Planar Magnetic Earbud DIY V3

@EarbudsParadise
1666759762591.png

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2022 at 9:31 AM Post #66,259 of 75,613
Oct 26, 2022 at 12:27 PM Post #66,260 of 75,613
Someone shared this on HifiGuides and I thought it was super interesting: .

I moved away from headphones because I didn't like the headband compression and the sweaty ears - maybe I should try those Koss clip-on headphones a try lol. Curious to see how my pinna influences my sound perception

Oct 26, 2022 at 12:38 PM Post #66,261 of 75,613

I moved away from headphones because I didn't like the headband compression and the sweaty ears - maybe I should try those Koss clip-on headphones a try lol. Curious to see how my pinna influences my sound perception

The KSC75 is a very solid choice for the price especially with a little power behind it. Just beware the bass roll-off, it's like the cliffs at Dover.

Oct 26, 2022 at 12:41 PM Post #66,262 of 75,613
The KSC75 is a very solid choice for the price especially with a little power behind it. Just beware the bass roll-off, it's like the cliffs at Dover.
Those are fairly steep precipices lol. I guess they seal even worse than earbuds!

I'm just going to wait for TGX Ripples 🙌🙌

Oct 26, 2022 at 8:36 PM Post #66,264 of 75,613
When all the FF3's have been sold :wink:

My local hi-fi store is surprised that customers still come to talk about or look for FF3. Usually stuffs are forgotten after a couple weeks. They have new FF3 coming, so at this rate, we might never see FF5 :dt880smile:

Are you aware of any DIY shells for this kind of ear-clippy-headphone-thing? I guess 40mm drivers should fit. I think it would be quite fun to build something more rigged and perhaps more bassy, but I have not been able to find any shells on Aliexpress.

Oct 27, 2022 at 1:17 AM Post #66,265 of 75,613

That’s only partially true. It’s true in the ‘if you like it, keep it’, and that ‘you can learn how a particular rig translates to you’. However, it’s important to understand the depth of what’s going on. Both of my pinna measure differently when measured using my home theater though the speakers measure the same and the layout is symmetrical. When I take a bud and measure it in my fake right ear and then measure it again in my fake left ear, it’s pinna affected shape measurements change in a manner that is similar to how the measurements differ in my home theater measurements. Same goes for a bud that was measured on someone else’s pinna rig and then measured on mine. Same would go for an ear canal. Knowing what frequency regions are affected by which body part(s) is definitely important when it comes to understanding the limitations of measurements. the most important about the Harman curve (and all the last 5 decades of psychoacoustic research) is that it demonstrates that despite our anatomical and cultural variance, we tend to like the same or at least similar sound. So rest assured, measurements are the most honest and even trustworthy thing in the hobby. Now I wouldn’t look for a particular target curve for your own choice, but knowing how transducers that measure a certain way sound to you and the fit limitations of a transducer and your particular anatomy. Perceived Resolution and Soundstage are the remaining things you’re going to need subjective impressions for. Unfortunately, you need to trust the reviewer and they all have influences preventing them from being unbiased. They are human after all. Aren’t we all….

Oct 27, 2022 at 8:49 AM Post #66,266 of 75,613
Oct 27, 2022 at 9:13 AM Post #66,267 of 75,613
Have any of you earbuds enthusiasts tried the Cat Ear Mimi?
I had, nice buds for the price, less than $10, but no special, plus one side has broken, is rattling loud.

Oct 27, 2022 at 2:20 PM Post #66,268 of 75,613
Oct 27, 2022 at 5:20 PM Post #66,269 of 75,613
Just got my Smabat M4 in with the 150Ohm BG driver... and immediately I hear the channel imbalance. :frowning2:

Not too noticeable after listening after a while.

Anyone have some PEQ for it? Right now I'm doing -6.0db at 2700Hz and +2.0db at 5000Hz. Also I saw some posts about the tuning filters, but I only have what they came with. Would it be suggested to remove it?

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2022 at 5:33 PM Post #66,270 of 75,613
Just got my Smabat M4 in with the 150Ohm BG driver... and immediately I hear the channel imbalance. :frowning2:

Not too noticeable after listening after a while.

Anyone have some PEQ for it? Right now I'm doing -6.0db at 2800Hz and +1.0db at 5000Hz. Also I saw some posts about the tuning filters, but I only have what they came with. Would it be suggested to remove it?

I’m working on a review of M4. Smabat has already sent me a replacement set but the channel imbalance is still there, so I think it is a design flaw.

Tuning filters don’t do as much as I hope. Essentially, the lower the filter type, the higher midbass hump AND ear-gain becomes with a deeper dip around 1kHz. Type 1 and Type 2 filters do not change much. Type 3 dampens the ear gain reasonably, but the bass is also reduced and the tonality of some drivers becomes kind of odd. In no configuration you can change significantly from the Smabat house sound.

Removing the filter can intensify the channel imbalance effect, so I don’t recommend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back