Earbuds Round-Up
Mar 26, 2023 at 10:21 AM Post #68,911 of 75,731
Funny story, when I first saw people putting FTW at the end of sentences about audio gear on here and other forums I was so confused. When people in my daily life say or text FTW they mean F-word The World so when I saw it here I kept wondering why people hated the world so much or what the inside joke was. Then one day it occurred to me to google FTW for other meanings...🤦‍♂️😂
Nice! Well we all know what W.T.F. means...
Where's The Fun... Right here... Earbuds!:ksc75smile: for the win!

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2023 at 10:30 AM Post #68,912 of 75,731
I like how their DAP matches the color of the PXVV (in your first picture). :)

Will you be buying a set of any of these?

Haha bro, $674 USD for a earbud really takes a huge leap of faith. Not to mention my wife will skin me alive!

I might wait for their cheaper upcoming Totem earbud which is supposedly $400ish, maybe see if it can be discounted a few months after release.

Mar 26, 2023 at 11:21 AM Post #68,913 of 75,731
Haha bro, $674 USD for a earbud really takes a huge leap of faith. Not to mention my wife will skin me alive!

I might wait for their cheaper upcoming Totem earbud which is supposedly $400ish, maybe see if it can be discounted a few months after release.
Same. I got in to buds for the price to performance ratio. This sounds like jumping on the kilobuck bandwagon to me.

Mar 26, 2023 at 11:23 AM Post #68,914 of 75,731
Hi folks, anyone use FF5 with the silicone ring? I got bored with my IEMs and took the FF5 out for a spin. And then I remembered that FiiO ships FF5 with silicone rings and mentioned the ring in their marketing materials.

In short, instead of a pretend-FF3, FF5 with the ring assumes its full “female poison” persona. No, it’s not smabat M4 ice pick. It’s more like Elysian Acoustic Labs GAEA IEM. Smooth but upper focus for high clarity and detail retrieval, subbass focus. Whether you like that signature is another question, but it is interesting nevertheless.
I used the FiiO rings to repair my old Apple Earbuds. Like how could Apple appropriate "Earbuds" which is a common term as a commercial product name? I guess that can be a different discussion.

Anyway, used a pair of rings to cover the broken rubber ring on some Apple earbuds. Works fine, will last a long time. I still use these buds with my iPhone for conference calls about twice a month.

Apple Earbuds FiiO rings.jpg

Mar 26, 2023 at 12:45 PM Post #68,915 of 75,731
I went back to the Pislo earbud booth today during Can Jam to take better photos and of course, to have another listen.

1) Pislo PXVV - $674 USD
DSC_0322.JPG
Their erstwhile entry level earbud, made of wood shells, with a piezo driver. It comes with a DSP dongle thingy. In stock form it is quite midcentric. But with the DSP dongle, wow the soundstage increases a lot and becomes "holographic". It can be used with or without the dongle.

2) Pislo PXTI - $1200 USD
DSC_0311.JPG
DSC_0296.JPG

Comes in a purple or silver coloured variant. Piezo driver, their current flagship. More technical than the above PXVV.

3) Pislo Totem - not released yet, perhaps in 2 - 3 months, single DD. Planned price $486 USD
DSC_0292.JPG

Shells seem similar to the Faaeal Datura Pro type of housing. As this was a prototype, the drivers were not soldered yet, so it could not be tested for listening purposes. But the Pislo rep says this will be their cheapest earbud (still at $400ish USD!).
Are they using a full range piezo driver? Piezo drivers are usually associated with mid to high frequency usage (~2KHz and above). The Intime IEMs (Japanese brand) use a dual driver topology, DD for bass/low mids and ceramic piezo for mids/treble. I have a couple of the Intime IEMs and they sound pretty good.

Mar 26, 2023 at 12:55 PM Post #68,916 of 75,731
Same. I got in to buds for the price to performance ratio. This sounds like jumping on the kilobuck bandwagon to me.
A true earbud aficionado knows no bounds... no cost is too high to add a unique set of earbuds to their collection. Who cares if they can't eat, pay the rent or mortgage and get skinned alive by their wife. Just live the dream and never escape the earbuds rabbit hole is the end goal. (Evil laugh) Hahahahaha.

Mar 26, 2023 at 1:05 PM Post #68,917 of 75,731
A true earbud aficionado knows no bounds... no cost is too high to add a unique set of earbuds to their collection. Who cares if they can't eat, pay the rent or mortgage and get skinned alive by their wife. Just live the dream and never escape the earbuds rabbit hole is the end goal. (Evil laugh) Hahahahaha.

True. I live in a cardboard box and keep my collection in a storage locker at the bus station. I only own one set of clothes and one set of shoes and I haven't eaten since December (when the homeless shelter serves Christmas dinner). All of that might sound extreme, but I have an awesome earbud collection so it's totally worth it! 😜

Mar 26, 2023 at 1:22 PM Post #68,918 of 75,731
True. I live in a cardboard box and keep my collection in a storage locker at the bus station. I only own one set of clothes and one set of shoes and I haven't eaten since December (when the homeless shelter serves Christmas dinner). All of that might sound extreme, but I have an awesome earbud collection so it's totally worth it! 😜
A foggy haze
Reality slips away
Spinning, twirling
A reaching hand
Through the vortex
Grasping, clutching
Falling, spinning
Losing to the pleasure
Of earbud nirvana

Mar 26, 2023 at 1:46 PM Post #68,919 of 75,731
A foggy haze
Reality slips away
Spinning, twirling
A reaching hand
Through the vortex
Grasping, clutching
Falling, spinning
Losing to the pleasure
Of earbud nirvana

Wow! You're a poet too? That's pretty good. So which one of us is getting this as a tattoo? 🧐

Mar 26, 2023 at 1:56 PM Post #68,921 of 75,731
Are they using a full range piezo driver? Piezo drivers are usually associated with mid to high frequency usage (~2KHz and above). The Intime IEMs (Japanese brand) use a dual driver topology, DD for bass/low mids and ceramic piezo for mids/treble. I have a couple of the Intime IEMs and they sound pretty good.
That is a good question, one that I was wondering about myself. I have the Hook-X which is also a dual driver topology. One planar, and one piezoelectric driver. They sound amazing to me. By themselves, I am not sure that piezo drivers have caught up to the rest of the scene for sound quality, but used in conjunction with another driver, I think they CAN sound wonderful; though unique like planar and BA are, having their own quirks. Some don't like them because they hear the "grainy" nature of them, but my ears don't quite detect that (at least in the Hook-X). For that set, I hear an airyness that otherwise would not be there (IMO) otherwise. Having said that, I DO believe that they are using the piezo on top of rather than instead of, so it is more of a reinforcement.

This is just conjecture though, and I could be totally wrong where that is concerned.

Mar 26, 2023 at 2:00 PM Post #68,922 of 75,731
Hey @JAnonymous5150 . What's your opinion on the Ucotech ES-P1? Also, if you had to choose your favorite earbuds, which would it be, and why? Thanks!

I love my ES-P1s! They're one of my favorites. Just a laid back, easy to listen to, and incredibly realistic sounding earbud. Plus, they're built like tanks and they look even more gorgeous in person. They aren't for everyone, but if they click with you you'll love them forever as I haven't come across anything else that does what they do.

Favorite earbuds? That's a very hard question and it changes pretty often so I'll say this: Lately my favorites have been my Cypherus Audio Black Edition Custom Retunes. Herry (@Cyperus ) really pulled off something special with these. I basically sent in a pair of standard Black Editions with a major channel imbalance that he agreed to fix and update/retune after discussing my preferences and I got back a pair of buds that truly sound like a high quality pair of over ears. They still regularly surprise me with just how big and authoritative they can sound. 🤘😎

And you're welcome! I'm always down to answer questions for anyone on the thread or over PM. 👍

Mar 26, 2023 at 2:03 PM Post #68,923 of 75,731

I don't know about all of their models, but I was told that the model I heard at my friend's house in San Francisco used a full range piezoelectric driver and nothing else. Based on pics and the fact that the guy told me he bought their "base model" to try I believe the model I heard was the PXVV. I'll be visiting him when I'm home in June to try out another pair he just got.

Edit: I should add that I was surprised at this because I had always thought of piezos as being generally limited to higher frequencies so when he told me that these were piezo driven I was a bit taken aback.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2023 at 2:22 PM Post #68,924 of 75,731
Wow! You're a poet too? That's pretty good. So which one of us is getting this as a tattoo? 🧐
A poet? Eh, I try sometimes. LOL

I don't have space, it would cover my "Born to Love, Trained to Kill" tattoo. Just joking, I don't have any tats.

T-shirts material:
01.png
02.png
03.png

Mar 26, 2023 at 2:27 PM Post #68,925 of 75,731
A poet? Eh, I try sometimes. LOL

I don't have space, it would cover my "Born to Love, Trained to Kill" tattoo. Just joking, I don't have any tats.

T-shirts material:

I thought it was pretty darn good. Especially considering you just whipped it right up in about 2 minutes on an earbud thread. That's impressive!

I'm extending my backpiece so that it wraps around my rib cage and integrates with my sleeves and chestpiece so I do have room. The question is how to make an ode to earbuds fit into my design lol! 😂 That would take some true creativity. Then again, how many people are ever really gonna read a poem on my ribs? 🤔 I think I could get away with it...😉

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back