Earbuds with mic sound weird on laptop
Jul 28, 2014 at 1:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Nada190

100+ Head-Fier
When I plug my earbuds that have a inline mic into my laptop the sound is tiny until I press and hold the mic talk button, as soon as I let go it goes back to a tiny sound. 

Anyone know why this happens? KEF M200 if that matters, works fine on my Schiit Asgard 2.

Jul 28, 2014 at 11:56 AM Post #2 of 3
It's too late in the day to think this through properly, but it might be a wiring issue.

My guess is that your KEF is wired up to CTIA standard so from the tip of your plug it goes -left,right,ground,mic..

Your laptop might be wired up to the older OMTP (left.right,mic,ground). Pressing the button may connect the ground and the mic circuits so that the audio travels back to earth more easily - maybe someone can confirm if I'm talking rubbish or not.

You might try a converter (search :xf_eek:mtp to ctia converter) and see what happens.

Jul 28, 2014 at 12:33 PM Post #3 of 3
  It's too late in the day to think this through properly, but it might be a wiring issue.

My guess is that your KEF is wired up to CTIA standard so from the tip of your plug it goes -left,right,ground,mic..

Your laptop might be wired up to the older OMTP (left.right,mic,ground). Pressing the button may connect the ground and the mic circuits so that the audio travels back to earth more easily - maybe someone can confirm if I'm talking rubbish or not.

You might try a converter (search :xf_eek:mtp to ctia converter) and see what happens.

+1. It's safe to say that you will need a CTIA to OMTP adapter; you should be able to find all sorts of these everywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back