Earmax Silver, anyone?
Oct 26, 2010 at 2:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

cappellano

100+ Head-Fier
Dears,

I haven't fine any recent discussione about the earmax silver. 

So, is there someone who is currently using it? How it stand compared to the current production headphone amps?

Thanks for the attention,

Marco

Apr 25, 2011 at 11:12 AM Post #2 of 10
Yes, certainly. I use my Earmax se regularly. It sounds so good that I have more or less lost interest in comparisons with other amp/headphone combinations. That's why I cannot answer your question
wink.gif
, sorry.

The only thing that I (still) like to know is how the Earmax compares to the Leben CS 300 (X). It is for the one reason, that I'd like to supplement my HD650 with a Grado RS1 or RS2. Due to the missing output transformer chip the Grados will not work well with the Earmax.

Apr 25, 2011 at 2:20 PM Post #4 of 10
You are talking about the power supply of the Earmax Silver?
It is a separate box of almost the same size as the earmax itself. I did not measure it, but it looks like it has plenty of reserves. Heavy too, so there are real coils inside.
As far as I understood, the power supply is one of the main differences between pro and silver (well - apart from the sound...).

Apr 26, 2011 at 12:05 PM Post #5 of 10
I have an Earmax Silver on loan and found it to sound best with my HD650 and Grado RS225i. I found that despite being only 32Ohm the Gradso don't seems to mind OTL amp as the sound gains some body. The Grado also sounds great out of my Darkvoice 336SE, which surprised me the first time I tried.

May 8, 2011 at 10:31 AM Post #7 of 10
Hello, I was directed to this thread by mironathetin who had found that I own both the Earmax Silver and the Leben CS300 and is asking for my point of view. I think that both are very good amps but with a clear advantage for Leben if you compare. Still they share many characteristics and I regard them as having a similar sound profile. Both capture the essential musical content and avoid the fallacy of being super-detailed. Both are fun and satisfying to listen to. You can adapt the sonic profile for both by changing tubes so it is not easy to exactly describe how they sound. The advantage of Leben is that it is more controlled and gives more weight and power to the presentation. It feels more present with better soundstage. With regard to the difference in size the Earmax keeps up surprisingly well, although the advantage of the Leben is very clear. The differences in size and cost are also great. Earmax was intended as a portable tube amplifier!

Michael was worried about the Grado RS-1 with Earmax Silver. I tend to agree that RS-1 sounds best out of a portable. Because it sounds good there (also compared to many other headphones) I also imagined that it had a potential to sound magnificent with the right amp. I have to say that I had to give up here, the RS-1 doesn't scale well and doesn't improve much by better amplification. HD650 is quite different here, it sounds boring and lifeless with bad amplification and improves to a very high level of reproduction with a good amp and source. So, at least for my taste, the RS-1 is the problem. IMO, IMHO etc. But I know some Head-Fiers like Grado and with Earmax Pro or Silver. Maybe some other output tubes will match better.

I mostly used my Earmax with HD650 and K701 and I think they have good synergy with the amp. Tuberolling can really help because it is difficult to find tubes that fit both headphones  equally well. I tried it shortly with my HD800 and there I felt that the Earmax is not the amp to go for, it did not sound bad in any way but did not keep up to the potential of the headphone.

The main difference between the Silver and the Pro is that Silver has more power and also is more suited to low impedance headphones. HD650 works well with both headphones but Silver has a little more power and control. K701 is very sloppy in the bass with Pro but sound great with Silver. As I understand it, Earmax Silver is close in construction to Earmax Anniversary (discontinued since many years) except that Anniversary was delivered with selected NOS tubes.

May 10, 2011 at 3:20 PM Post #9 of 10
Anders,
you write the HD800 does not sound best with the earmax silver. Does it go well with the Leben amp, in your opinion?
Interesting that you also think the RS-1 sounds best out of a portable. I was really puzzled when I realized that.

May 11, 2011 at 2:17 PM Post #10 of 10
Hi,

My impression from brief listening was that Earmax Silver did not bring out the potential of HD800, could not push out controlled bass and a smooth, spacious presentation in the same way as Leben. Not sounding bad in any way and rather the experience that HD800 can deliver more with better amplification. Listening was with the same equipment except that I switched the amps. So I am quite sure about this although the test was short.

I think I get a very well balanced presentation with Leben and HD800 and have no problem with the sibilance or slightly etched highs that others complain about. It may contribute that I shortened the stock cable somewhat when I made it balanced, so I have also a short adaptor cable (Moon Audio) to connect to Leben. Actually, sound quality was better after shortening the stock HD800 cable and I have not yet bought an upgrade cable.

HD800 is an expensive headphone and I think it make more sense to use it with a more powerful and controlled amplifier than Earmax. However, I think that Earmax is a good alternative for HD650 and K701 (but the latter requires the Silver edition for adequate bass performance). Leben also works very well with K701 but I find that HD800 is a clearly better headphone and that is the dynamic headphone I use. I also use my electrostatic headphones and like both.

I think that RS-1 is basically a colored headphone with a frequency response that is far from flat. It can sound good with some music as classical rock and give extra excitement. From the experience I have read, many have difficult to find a good amp for it but some have mentioned Earmax as a good alternative. That is works surprisingly well with a portable may not really be a surprise. The Grado headphone amp is in reality a simple opamp in a wood box, a portable is also in principle a simple opamp at the headphone output.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back