eBay cables
Jan 22, 2010 at 12:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

Lenni

Headphoneus Supremus
I was looking to buy some speaker cables, and came across some deals on eBay - Audioquest Gibraltar - I don't have much experience buying this kind of stuff on eBay. the sellers have very good feedback, and seem to have sold a few of those cables. I'm just a bit worry that their fake and not genuine USA factory made cable.
Does anybody have experience buying cables from these eBayers?

Jan 22, 2010 at 1:07 AM Post #3 of 47
I would call up Audio advisor, It seems like I just got a sale flyer from them and tell them what you want......AND WHAT YOU WANT TO PAY for YOUR CABLE...See about demos..There are alot of demo cables floating around....also see about a "upgrade" deals!!

Jan 22, 2010 at 8:08 PM Post #4 of 47
Jan 22, 2010 at 8:34 PM Post #5 of 47
a cable is never used, it is merely already 'burnt in'
tongue.gif
ppp

Jan 22, 2010 at 11:17 PM Post #6 of 47
here is the AudioQuest reply:

We aware of some fake cables being sold on eBay, however authorized AudioQuest dealers are not permitted to sell AudioQuest products via eBay.

When products are being being sold for well below their recommended retail price, we are reminded of the old adage "if it seems too good to be true, it probably is."

The best protection against being sold a fake product is to buy AudioQuest products from an authorized AudioQuest dealer or custom installer.

it doesn't exactly say it's fake, but... probably is. perhaps it's difficult to say by looking at the pics. in any case I ordered one. I think I'll send it to AQ to have it checked if possible, then Mr. hongkongsupply gets his feedback.

omg Audio advisor looks nice, so many goodies, I'm just starting to build a half decent system, my CC is in pain already.
I filled the Cable Company 'Consultation Request Form'. very curious to hear what they say.
many thanks
beerchug.gif

Jan 24, 2010 at 5:31 AM Post #7 of 47
I wouldn't trust any of those Chinese dealers for AQ cables. They all reek of fakes.
Tony711 purportedly sells genuine cables, but I haven't bothered buying any yet.

Jan 24, 2010 at 5:52 AM Post #8 of 47
Without boxes, will be questionable. But then, in the near future, all may come in boxes.

Jan 24, 2010 at 9:58 AM Post #9 of 47
Lenni, less than a minute of research should've told you that you paid $80 for a fake knock-off from a fraud. First, Gibraltar is expensive stuff, it goes for several hundred dollars a pair on the used market. Nobody in their right mind is going to sell the real thing for $80.

Second, the word "Audioquest" is printed in a very poor and fake looking manner, with "audi" being much bolder than the rest of the word.

Finally, "Quadhelxes"? Really? That didn't throw you off? Two words being combined into one, and helix being spelled "helxe"? Audioquest's SST and Hyperlitz were also combined into one word. Unless AQ suddenly forgot how to spell, it should've been pretty obvious by the pictures that its fake junk. Those also are not AQ terminations. Here's what real Gibraltar looks like:

As for the Used Cable recommendation, most of the time you can do much better purchasing directly from owners on Audiogon. UC's prices are almost always higher than AG, sometimes 2x as much or more. Anything they describe as "good" condition usually shows up beaten to hell. "Very Good" cables on Used Cable would be described as 6/10 or 7/10 on Audiogon. Most AG owners take incredible care of their equipment.

0f5b_12.JPG

Jan 24, 2010 at 12:38 PM Post #10 of 47
x2 Audiogon. I've picked up some great bargains on things there, specially used cables as you aren't paying the dealer's 100%+ markup.

Jan 24, 2010 at 1:26 PM Post #11 of 47
thanks for that. was too good to be true indeed. one thing that I come to realise in this hi-fi passion is that it's expensive and there's not getting around that. buying cheap stuff to save a few bucks just doesn't work in the long run. it's best to wait and buy the best one can afford. the trick I guess is to spend it wisely, heh

I'm just getting into building my first half decent system, and I got still lots to learn - I only heard of AQ two weeks ago

anyway I'll post some pics when/if I get it, and then ask for a refund

Jan 24, 2010 at 2:24 PM Post #12 of 47
Maybe you should check what the cable sounds like first. Isn't that the whole point? There are those who say that the genuine manufacturers are ripping customers off.

Jan 24, 2010 at 8:47 PM Post #13 of 47
ololol

Jan 24, 2010 at 10:56 PM Post #14 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by pp312 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe you should check what the cable sounds like first. Isn't that the whole point? There are those who say that the genuine manufacturers are ripping customers off.

that 'genuine' manufacturers are ripping customers off I've no doubt about it - look at the cost of CDs ***. but what you question here is will the apparently fake cable sound the same as the original. I don't have an original Gibraltar cable, and I'm not likely to get one soon either. I can only compare it to another pair of cables.

perhaps if someone with the Gibraltar cable is interested I could send them the cable for a comparison, and then perhaps they could send theirs to me for a double comparison. that'd be interesting
tongue_smile.gif

[edit] or maybe I can order one from a dealer that has a return policy

Jan 25, 2010 at 1:21 PM Post #15 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lenni /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but what you question here is will the apparently fake cable sound the same as the original. I don't have an original Gibraltar cable, and I'm not likely to get one soon either. I can only compare it to another pair of cables.

perhaps if someone with the Gibraltar cable is interested I could send them the cable for a comparison, and then perhaps they could send theirs to me for a double comparison. that'd be interesting
tongue_smile.gif

[edit] or maybe I can order one from a dealer that has a return policy

The knock-off which can be seen stripped http://i3.ebayimg.com/04/i/001/54/83/4c8d_10.JPG looks essentially the same as the real thing, with four differently sized solid core copper conductors per half of the cable. The real thing uses "perfect surface copper+", while the knock-off uses.. something. Whatever the cheapest stuff was they could find, I'm sure.

A new 8 foot pair of the current Gibraltar with DBS will set you back $1250, which is indeed a rip off. You can do way better for that kind of cash from brands like Synergistic, Stealth, Siltech, Nordost, and Purist Audio Design. Audioquest is a lot like MIT, really big name, very high prices, not that great.

If you do want to do a real vs fake comparison test though, Music Direct is currently running a special on AQ Rocket 88 without DBS starting at $275, which is 99% the same as Gibraltar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back