Edition 8 good all-arounder?
Dec 20, 2010 at 10:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

mitsu763

500+ Head-Fier
Are the ED8 a good all around can? I listen to a wide variety of music and wonder if the cost of this headphone would be justified to replace multiple sets. I like the form factor for transportability. My main concern revolves around their performance in regards to trance. I love the Pro 750 for trance and jazz but I feel it falls short for rock and blues. Ideally it should be as good as my HF2 for rock and blues and the Pro 750 for trance and jazz. Any thoughts?

Dec 20, 2010 at 10:37 AM Post #2 of 21
For a closed headphone, I've found none better. It does rock, metal, jazz, acoustic and classical all very well. Sorry, I don't listen to trance music...makes me feel like I'm playing Wipeout on my PS3.
tongue.gif

Dec 20, 2010 at 1:34 PM Post #5 of 21
Quite a while I listened to trance but the ED 8 do let you feel the music. It´s lacking a bit regarding dynamics perhaps. Low bass performance is not the best out there.

Dec 20, 2010 at 2:17 PM Post #6 of 21
Low bass performance of the Edition 8 is highly dependent on amplification. I've heard totally different presentation of lowest notes of the ED8 from two different devices. I don't remember a headphone performing the low bass better. The Edition 9 maybe but it's guessing from memory.

Dec 25, 2010 at 8:15 AM Post #7 of 21
I haven´t heard many headphones with less sub bass then the ED 8. Look at the graphs at headphone.com seem true to me. That said I don´t miss it that often it´s obviously a concious design choice. Though it´s one reason it do great on tubes and is totally awful on something like an Ipod touch where it gets all trebly with mid bass punch :wink:.

Dec 25, 2010 at 10:16 AM Post #8 of 21
Sony Z1000 is a much better can if you're using it on portable

Dec 25, 2010 at 11:28 AM Post #9 of 21
Dec 25, 2010 at 12:39 PM Post #10 of 21
I suppose there is more then me that don´t do audiophile listening while on the go. I am very happy with my Porta Pro though it would be nice if it isolated a bit better. I hate the Touch/ED8 combo with a passion.

Dec 25, 2010 at 1:23 PM Post #11 of 21
I thought,he meant the SQ(maybe I'mwrong here),then I have my doubt,but if he just meant "portable" , I should have to look at the size of the Sony then.

Dec 26, 2010 at 12:49 PM Post #12 of 21
I meant sound quality. Not looking for it to be the best at anything. Just great with everything as I'm tired of multiple cans for different genres. I have had the ED8 in my possesion  now for a couple of days. Things are sounding good so far. I do notice the lack of sub bass but it isn't bothersome. The sibilance is what has me on the fence. For the record, I'm only using and AE-2 for an amp at the moment.

Dec 26, 2010 at 4:18 PM Post #13 of 21
Wow, i don't notice a lack of bass or any sibilance.  Maybe because my amp, although it is solid state is a very tubey warm sounding amp, even warmer than my tube amp by quite a bit actually.  I have had the Ed 8 LE for about two months or so.

Dec 26, 2010 at 8:16 PM Post #15 of 21

Quote:
It's just the lowest octaves I notice missing. I may try to find a Lisa again. Loved the warm sound and transportability factor.

That might very well be your amp...my Edition 8LEs go very deep with my MAD Ear+HD tube amp (almost as deep as my D7000 (now sold) or LCD-2s).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back