Effect Audio cables thread
Jan 7, 2024 at 11:37 PM Post #7,681 of 7,926
Thanks to Effect Audio and @Sebastien Chiu, I got a chance to demo two mystery prototype cables from EA. Though soon after the tour started, we learned what those two cables are, and I will directly use the official names for those two prototype cables.

Before I start my impression of those two cables, a little background for myself. I am relatively new to the cable rolling business and as matter of fact, this is my first time to demo high-end cables (with the recent inflation, cables are becoming much more expensive and people may argue that at this price, they are not technically “high-end”. However, I would say that they are a steal at this price point given their high-end performance. I am not just saying that, but I will soon order one of those cables as my first “high-end” upgrade cable). In the past I have purchased more than 10 upgrade cables for my IEMs, but they are mostly for the purpose of ergonomic improvements, and none of them are over $250. I did have chance to use more expensive cables, mostly PWAudio cables as stock cables from UM Mentor, Merst, etc. Frankly, I did not find any of those cables make significant impact on the sound quality of the IEMs.

Therefore, even though I am not in the camp of cable non-believers, I am also not a strong believer of cable as well, well, until recently.

The two cables from Effect Audio are code 24 in beautiful deep ocean blue, and its little sister code 24c limited in purple. Most of my impression, however, will be on the big sister code 24 since I spent most of my time on it and I just can’t take it off my ears, sorry.

When I took out the cables from the small package, I happened to take the blue one out first without any knowledge of which is which and what are those cables. When I switched the stock cable to the blue code 24, I had been listening to music with the stock cable for hours since the time I picked up the FedEx package was in the evening.

Even though I did expect some sound signature change, I was totally unprepared for what was about to come, and my jaw dropped the moment the music started.

I must tell you that if I were doing this as part of a blind test, I would definitely believe I were listening to a much, much more expensive IEM since everything changes, I mean EVERYTHING!

thumbnail_1000000316.jpg

Okay, let’s start with the first thing I noticed: the bass, yes, that BASS. The first IEM I happened to use is Oriolus Isabellae, which has good bass but mostly renowned for its sweet midrange. Instantly, the bass performance was brought to the next level, sweet Isa immediately exhibited Sony IER-Z1R level of bass. Not only I could hear deeper, more impactful bass, but also higher quality more textured bass. The sub-bass reached deeper, and the mid-bass was more prominent.

The second thing I immediately noticed is the clarity: the resolution suddenly increased, more information was there, just like magic happened. I have no idea why this is happening, but it may have something to do with the “super-tweeter effect” after I did some research on code 24 from Effect Audio website.

The next thing I noticed was the sound stage: Isa is not renowned for its sound stage, but with code 24, I did feel a much-opened sound stage, almost to the level of grand. With a grander sound stage, I also noticed that code 24 brought better instrument separation and you will notice the music become more layered.

Later, I found out what those two magic cables are. Code 24 is a silver-plated copper cable with 16.5 AWG, 13 multiple size core bundles. The cable is thick, visually much thicker than its little sister 24c. I haven’t used EA’s code 23 before, but it has been mentioned numerous times in the watercooler thread I hung out. To some fellow coolers with code 23, code 24 is 23 on steroid. I can definitely testify for the excitement code 24 can bring to your IEMs.

Untitled.jpg

Both code 24 and 24c comes with EA’s ConX Basic Set, which comes with both 2pin and MMCX connections. I must emphasize it again, the fact that you don’t have to buy a separate cable for IEMs with a different connection is another huge saving in your cable investment.

Unfortunately, the prototype cables we received for this tour do not have the entire ConX basic set, they only have 2pin connection. Because of that, I did not have the chance to try it on IEMs with MMCX connection.

I did a short demo of code 24c, which initially I thought could have another flavor. But I was wrong. Code 24c is a pure copper cable, which is thinner than code 24 and much easier and flexible to handle. But the pro stops here. Code 24c has very good bass but with less bass impact than code 24, that will be the first and foremost impression you will notice. Even though both cables have the same deep reach in sub bass, the bass quantity decreases in code 24c, some people may like this if they put more emphasis on vocal and midrange. But for me, I strictly prefer code 24 even though 24c is much cheaper. As matter of fact, I don’t have to think for another second to decide which one I will buy, it is code 24. To put it in a simple way, code 24c limited is the little sister with a similar sound signature.

However, code 24/24c do not have the same impact on your IEMs. Since I haven't done very extensive test, my conclusion might be wrong. Given what I learned, code 24/24c have the largest impact on IEMs with dynamic drivers, either single DD, or multiple DDs. However, for IEMs with hybrid drivers, such as tribrid with DD, BA, and EST drivers, the impact on bass is still very high, but on not as high in term of resolution and sound stage.

Here are some of the music I used during my demo using my desktop gears. Unfortunately, I am in a process of re-organizing my gears, I don’t have a chance to use tube amp. All listening below is from solid state desktop amp, R2R little RU6 dongle. I did spend several hours outdoors with the cable using my Sony WM1A with local music library, but since I was listening with shuffle mode I did not remember the music I was listening to.

thumbnail_1000000319.jpg

Mark Lettieri - "Pulsar" (Deep: The Baritone Sessions, Vol. 2) Official Video

The bass guitar and the string strokes are heaven from code 24 (they are wonderful with stock cable, but man, I have to say code 24 just rendered it much, much, more lively

Caro Emerald Live - A Night Like This​

Live performance in a small concert, code 24 just gave its performance in a grander scale sound stage.

Cory Wong Call Me Wild (feat. dodie)​

Cory Wong’s performance is always great, but the vocal from dodie in this collaboration brought some interesting flavor to the music and with code 24, I enjoyed it even more.

Santana - While My Guitar Gently Weeps​

What can I say, the master guitar performance and the vocal is one of the best covers beside the original for this classical song. Again, code 24 brought the string stroke in a much vivid way.

Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms​

One of my favorite songs from Dire Straits, you may notice much more details coming from the beginning of the song with code 24.

In the end, I would like to say something about the ergonomics of those two cables, even though originally I did not want to talk about since I only received the prototypes, not the cables in final production. I believe the final products will be in a much refined form and will be more ergonomic. With the prototypes I got, even for code 24c which is thinner, they will be much thicker than most of your stock cables. With flagship performance, the high-end cables unfortunately will be much thicker and will be more challenging to use. For code 24, each time I put them on, I had to spend some time to bend the cable to the shape I would like them to have. It is not very convenient but still doable. I am not sure if the finished cables will have ear hook, but the prototypes I received did not have any hook. However, I had some bad experience with Z1R ear hooks, which I wish they did not have. As matter of fact, some owners took the pain to cut the plastic hook open and took them away to improve the ergonomics. I still decide to order code 24 anyway without knowing the ergonomics of the finished products. As someone said before, if it was a tradeoff I have to make, I would pick much better sound quality over slightly more ergonomics.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2024 at 1:38 AM Post #7,682 of 7,926
Thanks to Effect Audio and @Sebastien Chiu, I got a chance to demo two mystery prototype cables from EA. Though soon after the tour started, we learned what those two cables are, and I will directly use the official names for those two prototype cables.

Before I start my impression of those two cables, a little background for myself. I am relatively new to the cable rolling business and as matter of fact, this is my first time to demo high-end cables (with the recent inflation, cables are becoming much more expensive and people may argue that at this price, they are not technically “high-end”. However, I would say that they are a steal at this price point given their high-end performance. I am not just saying that, but I will soon order one of those cables as my first “high-end” upgrade cable). In the past I have purchased more than 10 upgrade cables for my IEMs, but they are mostly for the purpose of ergonomic improvements, and none of them are over $250. I did have chance to use more expensive cables, mostly PWAudio cables as stock cables from UM Mentor, Merst, etc. Frankly, I did not find any of those cables make significant impact on the sound quality of the IEMs.

Therefore, even though I am not in the camp of cable non-believers, I am also not a strong believer of cable as well, well, until recently.

The two cables from Effect Audio are code 24 in beautiful deep ocean blue, and its little sister code 24c limited in purple. Most of my impression, however, will be on the big sister code 24 since I spent most of my time on it and I just can’t take it off my ears, sorry.

When I took out the cables from the small package, I happened to take the blue one out first without any knowledge of which is which and what are those cables. When I switched the stock cable to the blue code 24, I had been listening to music with the stock cable for hours since the time I picked up the FedEx package was in the evening.

Even though I did expect some sound signature change, I was totally unprepared for what was about to come, and my jaw dropped the moment the music started.

I must tell you that if I were doing this as part of a blind test, I would definitely believe I were listening to a much, much more expensive IEM since everything changes, I mean EVERYTHING!

thumbnail_1000000316.jpg

Okay, let’s start with the first thing I noticed: the bass, yes, that BASS. The first IEM I happened to use is Oriolus Isabellae, which has good bass but mostly renowned for its sweet midrange. Instantly, the bass performance was brought to the next level, sweet Isa immediately exhibited Sony IER-Z1R level of bass. Not only I could hear deeper, more impactful bass, but also higher quality more textured bass. The sub-bass reached deeper, and the mid-bass was more prominent.

The second thing I immediately noticed is the clarity: the resolution suddenly increased, more information was there, just like magic happened. I have no idea why this is happening, but it may have something to do with the “super-tweeter effect” after I did some research on code 24 from Effect Audio website.

The next thing I noticed was the sound stage: Isa is not renowned for its sound stage, but with code 24, I did feel a much-opened sound stage, almost to the level of grand. With a grander sound stage, I also noticed that code 24 brought better instrument separation and you will notice the music become more layered.

Later, I found out what those two magic cables are. Code 24 is a silver-plated copper cable with 16.5 AWG, 13 multiple size core bundles. The cable is thick, visually much thicker than its little sister 24c. I haven’t used EA’s code 23 before, but it has been mentioned numerous times in the watercooler thread I hung out. To some fellow coolers with code 23, code 24 is 23 on steroid. I can definitely testify for the excitement code 24 can bring to your IEMs.

Untitled.jpg

Both code 24 and 24c comes with EA’s ConX Basic Set, which comes with both 2pin and MMCX connections. I must emphasize it again, the fact that you don’t have to buy a separate cable for IEMs with a different connection is another huge saving in your cable investment.

Unfortunately, the prototype cables we received for this tour do not have the entire ConX basic set, they only have 2pin connection. Because of that, I did not have the chance to try it on IEMs with MMCX connection.

I did a short demo of code 24c, which initially I thought could have another flavor. But I was wrong. Code 24c is a pure copper cable, which is thinner than code 24 and much easier and flexible to handle. But the pro stops here. Code 24c has very good bass but with less bass impact than code 24, that will be the first and foremost impression you will notice. Even though both cables have the same deep reach in sub bass, the bass quantity decreases in code 24c, some people may like this if they put more emphasis on vocal and midrange. But for me, I strictly prefer code 24 even though 24c is much cheaper. As matter of fact, I don’t have to think for another second to decide which one I will buy, it is code 24. To put it in a simple way, code 24c limited is the little sister with a similar sound signature.

Here are some of the music I used during my demo using my desktop gears. Unfortunately, I am in a process of re-organizing my gears, I don’t have a chance to use tube amp. All listening below is from solid state desktop amp, R2R little RU6 dongle. I did spend several hours outdoors with the cable using my Sony WM1A with local music library, but since I was listening with shuffle mode I did not remember the music I was listening to.

thumbnail_1000000319.jpg

Mark Lettieri - "Pulsar" (Deep: The Baritone Sessions, Vol. 2) Official Video

The bass guitar and the string strokes are heaven from code 24 (they are wonderful with stock cable, but man, I have to say code 24 just rendered it much, much, more lively

Caro Emerald Live - A Night Like This​

Live performance in a small concert, code 24 just gave its performance in a grander scale sound stage.

Cory Wong Call Me Wild (feat. dodie)​

Cory Wong’s performance is always great, but the vocal from dodie in this collaboration brought some interesting flavor to the music and with code 24, I enjoyed it even more.

Santana - While My Guitar Gently Weeps​

What can I say, the master guitar performance and the vocal is one of the best covers beside the original for this classical song. Again, code 24 brought the string stroke in a much vivid way.

Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms​

One of my favorite songs from Dire Straits, you may notice much more details coming from the beginning of the song with code 24.

In the end, I would like to say something about the ergonomics of those two cables, even though originally I did not want to talk about since I only received the prototypes, not the cables in final production. I believe the final products will be in a much refined form and will be more ergonomic. With the prototypes I got, even for code 24c which is thinner, they will be much thicker than most of your stock cables. With flagship performance, the high-end cables unfortunately will be much thicker and will be more challenging to use. For code 24, each time I put them on, I had to spend some time to bend the cable to the shape I would like them to have. It is not very convenient but still doable. I am not sure if the finished cables will have ear hook, but the prototypes I received did not have any hook. However, I had some bad experience with Z1R ear hooks, which I wish they did not have. As matter of fact, some owners took the pain to cut the plastic hook open and took them away to improve the ergonomics. I still decide to order code 24 anyway without knowing the ergonomics of the finished products. As someone said before, if it was a tradeoff I have to make, I would pick much better sound quality over slightly more ergonomics.

I really must second your experience, it sounds a lot like mine, before I knew the names of the cables 😁.

I, too, have ordered Code 24, even before I knew it's name. I plugged it into a few iems, including Xe6, and thought it was perhaps bringing out too much bass. Code 23 does it perfectly with Xe6, but 24 was too much. But when I plugged it into Penon Quattro, holy sheet, it transformed into an entirely new version of itself, as if it was upgraded. This was an example of amazingly good synergy, and I immediately ordered it.

I understand and accept the ergonomic tradeoff here, but combined, the Quattro and Code 24 sound like a TOTL for Penon to me.

Can't wait to get the finished cable and put it back on the Quattro. Will bring this to the LA meet up (assuming it arrives in time 😁) and CJ NY for anyone who wants to hear.

Jan 8, 2024 at 2:30 AM Post #7,683 of 7,926
I really must second your experience, it sounds a lot like mine, before I knew the names of the cables 😁.

I, too, have ordered Code 24, even before I knew it's name. I plugged it into a few iems, including Xe6, and thought it was perhaps bringing out too much bass. Code 23 does it perfectly with Xe6, but 24 was too much. But when I plugged it into Penon Quattro, holy sheet, it transformed into an entirely new version of itself, as if it was upgraded. This was an example of amazingly good synergy, and I immediately ordered it.

I understand and accept the ergonomic tradeoff here, but combined, the Quattro and Code 24 sound like a TOTL for Penon to me.

Can't wait to get the finished cable and put it back on the Quattro. Will bring this to the LA meet up (assuming it arrives in time 😁) and CJ NY for anyone who wants to hear.
Try this with the Code 24:

It really brings out the best texture of both the bassline and the sax. Really detailed, dynamic and rhythmic also.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2024 at 5:03 AM Post #7,684 of 7,926
Effect Audio Code 24 & 24C Impressions:

I received prototypes of Effect Audio’s two latest cables few days back as part of a review tour. I thank @nihalsharma and everyone who are responsible for arranging this tour. I had extensively tried these cables with my IEM, FiR Audio RN6. And also, since I recently acquired Code 23 cable, I brought that cable for comparisons purposes.

c24 2.jpg

By the time I received these cables, suspense over their configuration was lifted off as Effect Audio officially announced these to the public. Code 24 is a silver plated copper cable and Code 24c is a pure copper cable. These are better in ergonomics when compared to the previous Code flagship Code 23 cable. Code 24 is made with 16.5 AWG, multi-size core bundles, Code 24c Limited is made of trio-flex pure solid core system, 17 multi-sized core bundles and a smaller 18.5 AWG compared to Code 23’s pure copper solid core, a host of 12 different multi-size core bundles, a proprietary blend of multi-size strands, a whopping 16.5 AWG. In reality 24 and 24c are little more flexible and ergonomically better than 23. Other than the thickness of these cables, their build quality is excellent, everything is solid.

I used Cayin N7 DAP, and FiR Audio RN6 for the review purposes and also compared Code 24 with Code 23 and RN6’s excellent stock cable.

image3.jpeg

Code 24, straight out of the bat brings better clarity, air, treble sparkle and resolution in to the mix. Details retrieval also went a notch higher. Compared to the RN6’s stock cable, which is also an excellent cable in its own right, Code 24 expands the stage, makes it more airy, bringing even more clarity into the picture, and better separation. Code 24’s bass presentation is excellent, doesn’t fiddle with RN6’s kinetic bass instead it brings better control and tightness to its bass, bass goes deep and lots of rumble and punch with improved quality. Code 24 also is better in detail retrieval, and imaging. Among all these pros, there are few cons(for me, YMMV) too. Code 24 has excellent extensions in the midrange and treble area, which, in turn end up being bright and fatiguing if the paired IEM already has such forward mids and elevated treble. Which is the case with my RN6, this became very much evident. As much as I enjoyed its wider stage, cleaner and airier sound, Code 24 is making RN6 very bright and fatiguing. And also, I found Code 24 making vocals sound thinner than what I prefer. When compared to Code 23, I found staging, detail retrieval, imaging to be similar, even slight advantage to Code 24, but less thinner and little more warmer than Code 24. For RN6, I prefer Code 23 among the two.

c24 1.jpg

Next I tried Code 24c Limited Edition pure copper cable with RN6. 24c carries similar kind of signature as 24 adding little warmth overall, but with lesser extensions in both ends and technically behind it too, as its supposed price range indicates. Even Code 23 has better performance all through by a small margin. 24c has good bass performance, but won’t go as deep as the other two cables, Vocals have good clarity and placed center than too forward or recessed. Staging is wider than RN6 stock cable but lesser than both 24 and 23. Treble, too has decent extension up top, but again less air and sparkle than the other two.

Overall, I prefer Code 23, RN6 stock cable over Code 24, purely because of the brightness and thinness it brings to RN6.

Code 24 is an excellent cable, It takes performance up a notch or two in all frequency ranges, I liked how it sounded clean and airy. But, as I found out with my RN6, it also adds brightness and thinness, so synergy wise, I don't recommend it for RN6, if you don't like bright/thinness.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2024 at 9:08 AM Post #7,685 of 7,926
I found Code 23 to be a great pairing with the Helios and Monarch 2 for a nice mid-bass emphasis/body and better bass texturing overall.
Have you tried other cables with the monarch mk2 since this review? I think you didn't like Fusion with the mk2. I was considering that but luckily I saw your review.

I'm shopping for cables and after 30+ hrs researching I'm leaning towards Effect Audio but I couldn't find info whether termx and conx reduces sound quality or not. I'm trying a friend's Erua Tawa and it improves the sound pretty much across the spectrum so here I am say on getting a cable. I'm satisfied with the bass from the stock cables, so looking for something that will improve the details. Bonus of it improves bass too

If others have recommendations for monarch mk2 let me know. Much appreciated!

Jan 8, 2024 at 10:19 AM Post #7,686 of 7,926
Have you tried other cables with the monarch mk2 since this review? I think you didn't like Fusion with the mk2. I was considering that but luckily I saw your review.

I'm shopping for cables and after 30+ hrs researching I'm leaning towards Effect Audio but I couldn't find info whether termx and conx reduces sound quality or not. I'm trying a friend's Erua Tawa and it improves the sound pretty much across the spectrum so here I am say on getting a cable. I'm satisfied with the bass from the stock cables, so looking for something that will improve the details. Bonus of it improves bass too

I haven't tried any other cables with Monarch 2 since my posts unfortunately. Why not pick up a Erua Audio Tawa cable since you liked it on the Monarch 2?

Jan 8, 2024 at 10:40 AM Post #7,688 of 7,926
I haven't tried any other cables with Monarch 2 since my posts unfortunately. Why not pick up a Erua Audio Tawa cable since you liked it on the Monarch 2?
The cables are very audible when moved/touched (I'm guessing due to the pvc sleeve stiffening) and I'm seeing oxidation already on my friend's cable. The braiding could be better too. Overall it just doesnt feel premium for its price.

I would also prefer termx since my desktop dac is 3.5mm but my DAP's 4.4mm is significantly better than it's own 3.5mm. I need to read up if termx and adapters reduce sound quality.

Jan 8, 2024 at 11:05 AM Post #7,689 of 7,926
The cables are very audible when moved/touched (I'm guessing due to the pvc sleeve stiffening) and I'm seeing oxidation already on my friend's cable. The braiding could be better too. Overall it just doesnt feel premium for its price.

I would also prefer termx since my desktop dac is 3.5mm but my DAP's 4.4mm is significantly better than it's own 3.5mm. I need to read up if termx and adapters reduce sound quality.
Frankly, about the sound quality and conX (don't know about termX since I haven't any cable with termX system on) :

No concerns at all. Sound wise.

I was worried about that too. No probs 😎👍

At the contrary it's super users friendly. 👏

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2024 at 2:01 PM Post #7,690 of 7,926
Pairing with monarch mkII. Narrowed down my selections to:
EA Cleopatra II 8W conx
EA Code 23
EA Code 24
Penon Flow

If anyone is selling theirs, send me info and best price so we don't have to go back and forth with price. I'll pay for shipping. I'll post this classifieds soon too.

Im mostly concerned with code ergonomics. Reading up how bad it is when walking since I'll be using it when walking the doggo.

Jan 8, 2024 at 4:33 PM Post #7,692 of 7,926

This should go for all adapters no matter if it's Effect Audio branded for not - if they're manufactured right, they do not affect sound quality.

Hello! Would like to hear Code 23 vs Code 24 comparison for FF Maestro SE, if anyone has them.

Hi,

I have C24 and C24C Limited. I can do a little writeup for you soon in my full post about the MSE.

Thanks for asking!

Search is over! Just bought a used Cleo II Octa. I'm joining the Effect Audio club shortly :ksc75smile:

Congratulations! Great choice. Welcome to the club. Look forward to your impressions soon!

Jan 8, 2024 at 4:47 PM Post #7,693 of 7,926
Search is over! Just bought a used Cleo II Octa. I'm joining the Effect Audio club shortly :ksc75smile:
I had a bunch of EA cables in for a review including the Ares 8W, Cadmus 8W, Fusion 1 and Code 23 along with a Cleo II Octa and I have to say that the Cleo was one my favourites.

Excellent sounding and wonderful aesthetics!

Jan 9, 2024 at 2:31 AM Post #7,695 of 7,926
Yoooooo finally got my hands on the hype CODE 24 tester set! Immediately plugged 'em onto my IE600s and did a/b test with my LabKable Amethyst. Price point wise, the Amethyst should be about a $100 more for totally Silver internals.

WhatsApp Image 2024-01-09 at 15.00.02.jpeg

Ok let's just say Sennheiser cables are just not the best out there and I have been trying to find the best match with my IE600. And so I got the Amethyst a couple years back to pair.

The IE600 with the CODE 24 is like a match make in heaven man. Swapping from the Amethyst brings a very noticeable thicker sound with low-mid bump. Treble in comparison to the Amethyst sounds more controlled and less harsh. On a more analytical listening, I can understand why effect audio's went with the super tweeter sound concept because you can really hear the improvement on the top end making it brighter and crisp with the IE600 but at the same time not overpowering that you constantly feel an aggressive edge. Amethyst had a lighter sound overall with a sharper, ever so slightly sibilant highs. I think pairing CODE 24 with a more musical sounding IEM would be the best.

One thing that I wanted to test out was the flexibility of the CODE 24 as the 23 was basically a snake lol (but ok it sounds good so yea)
Well I can say effect audio did a really good job this time round, much better usability now. Ergonomics improved like maybe 30%-40% thereabout?

CODE 24 next to my Amethyst.
WhatsApp Image 2024-01-09 at 15.02.59.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back