Effect Audio cables thread
Oct 26, 2020 at 5:05 AM Post #4,666 of 7,970
Hi everyone,

Our website is currently unavailable at this moment, we are doing our best to get our website back online.

In the meantime, if you are curious about any of our products, you may still reach us on our Facebook, Instagram as well as email at info@effectaudio.com. We apologize for the inconvenience caused and hope to see you on our website again very soon!

Apology copy.jpg

Last edited:
Effect Audio Stay updated on Effect Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/effectaudiosg/ https://twitter.com/EffectAudio https://www.instagram.com/effectaudio/ http://www.effectaudio.com/ https://wa.me/message/A64BKXQECHD4E1 info@effectaudio.com
Oct 30, 2020 at 4:57 AM Post #4,668 of 7,970
A friend of mine asked me for a comparison between the EA Eros II 8W and the EleTech Plato. I thought I will share it here for anyone who might be interested in the same:

In terms of overall tonality, both cables would fall under the classification of neutral. While neither is predominantly bright or warm, the Plato leans towards a slightly thinner/brighter side of neutral, while the Eros leans towards the warmer/smoother side. Plato creates a traditional silver sound that is cleaner in the bass and shorter decays of notes throughout the spectrum compared to the Eros. While the Eros might not sound as clean as the Plato, it does have a slightly more analog timbre than the Plato. But the Plato steps it up in the performance department with larger stage, better transparency, resolution, separation, layering, imaging, details and darker background. Given that most current-gen, high-end IEMs out there have a lean, bright or peak sound, for my personal preferences I find the Eros to pair better with a lot more IEMs than the Plato. But if I were to use a analog sounding source and a warm/full/smooth sounding IEM, I think my preference would lean towards the Plato given the benefits in performance.
Love your analysis! :heart_eyes:

Which made me think is there a way we can all celebrate our passion for cables here? How about we start a little database of sorts by sharing which EA cables pair well with different iems. This way people looking for info on great pairings can navigate back to the posts, or others can refer back to your post. Just share your favourite pairing with a little description why. It doesn't have to be too technical. Maybe it just works well for certain music, looks pretty, or perhaps that combo was suggested to you by your grandmother on her deathbed. It's all good here.

Reasons to share:
+You are a caring person that wants to contribute to the community
+You are passionate about cables
+You will get rewarded by a ton of likes

Reasons not to share:
-You hate helping others
-You don't care about cables

I'll start off with some examples of what I'm currently listening to.

Phantom with Code 51
This pairing works especially well because it combines Code 51's outstanding resolution and transparency with the Phantom's natural tone, giving the best of both worlds. Code 51 tightens the Phantom's warm bass, creating an airy presentation which allows finer detail to emerge. However, it does so while retaining a natural timbre, leaving the Phantom's strengths intact (where brighter cables tend to increase resolution at the cost of naturalness).

VE8 with Horus-X
I personally tend to use the VE8 for rock music, because of its engaging full-bodied sound. I tried the different EA cables and landed on Horus-X because of its lively mid-bass, which differentiates it from Horus and Horus Octa. Horus-X' mid-bass is warmer and more colourful in tone, which makes it a pleasure to listen to bass guitars. For this reason it works very well with rock music where you'd like the bassist to shine.

Last edited:

https://www.facebook.com/effectaudiosg/ https://twitter.com/EffectAudio https://www.instagram.com/effectaudio/ http://www.effectaudio.com/ https://wa.me/message/A64BKXQECHD4E1 info@effectaudio.com
Oct 30, 2020 at 8:37 AM Post #4,669 of 7,970
Love your analysis! :heart_eyes:

Which made me think is there a way we can all celebrate our passion for cables here? How about we start a little database of sorts by sharing which EA cables pair well with different iems. This way people looking for info on great pairings can navigate back to the posts, or others can refer back to your post. Just share your favourite pairing with a little description why. It doesn't have to be too technical. Maybe it just works well for certain music, looks pretty, or perhaps that combo was suggested to you by your grandmother as her last words before she passed away. It's all good here.

Reasons to share:
+You are a caring person that wants to contribute to the community
+You are passionate about cables
+You will get rewarded by a ton of likes

Reasons not to share:
-You hate helping others
-You don't care about cables

I'll start off with some examples of what I'm currently listening to.

Phantom with Code 51
This pairing works especially well because it combines Code 51's outstanding resolution and transparency with the Phantom's natural tone, giving the best of both worlds. Code 51 tightens the Phantom's warm bass, creating an airy presentation which allows finer detail to emerge. However, it does so while retaining a natural timbre, leaving the Phantom's strengths intact (where brighter cables tend to increase resolution at the cost of naturalness).

VE8 with Horus-X
I personally tend to use the VE8 for rock music, because of its engaging full-bodied sound. I tried the different EA cables and landed on Horus-X because of its lively mid-bass, which differentiates it from Horus and Horus Octa. Horus-X' mid-bass is warmer and more colourful in tone, which makes it a pleasure to listen to bass guitars. For this reason it works very well with rock music where you'd like the bassist to shine.

Well, that's a tough act to follow, but in the spirit of community and all that, I'll share my thoughts!

Empire Ears Nemesis with the thicker gauge Ares II+
Well, I should preface this 'recommendation' by stating that it will surely not be to everyone's taste. It would be great to combine the benefits of this pair-up with a more spacious and expansive treble, soundstage and separation.
However, for bassheads who are looking for the epitome of 'bang for your buck', this combo probably leaves all others contenders eating its dust.
I was looking for the cable which would take the bass of the Nemesis to visceral, head-shaking levels. Everything else was a secondary concern, since the goal was to have the ultimate bass cannon in my collection, that I could turn to when I had the mood, or just felt like beating my ears into submission :)

The Ares II+, like an ever-faithful and reliable postman (or 'mailman', for our transatlantic cousins) delivers every time.
The sound signature is still audiophile (although you'll need some time to acclimatise from other mere-mortal IEMs), but the impact, slam and rumble of 'Dat Bass' in my humble opinion leaves even the mighty Legend X cowering on the floor and blubbering for mercy :D

Aside from this, until such time as I can try the now-legendary Code 51 with my EE Phantom, I have settled on the Ares II bespoke 8-wire as my conductor of choice!
I tried various cables with the Phantom, but always ended up feeling that whilst each had its benefits, they altered the unique sound signature of the Phantom too much for my liking, losing to some extent the very essence which makes it so irresistibly appealing to me.
The Ares II 8-wire managed to open up the soundstage and separation a bit more and give a touch more air, whilst preserving all that I've come to love about the Phantom.
Two enthusiastic thumbs up! :)

Oct 30, 2020 at 12:13 PM Post #4,670 of 7,970
Well, that's a tough act to follow, but in the spirit of community and all that, I'll share my thoughts!

Empire Ears Nemesis with the thicker gauge Ares II+
Well, I should preface this 'recommendation' by stating that it will surely not be to everyone's taste. It would be great to combine the benefits of this pair-up with a more spacious and expansive treble, soundstage and separation.
However, for bassheads who are looking for the epitome of 'bang for your buck', this combo probably leaves all others contenders eating its dust.
I was looking for the cable which would take the bass of the Nemesis to visceral, head-shaking levels. Everything else was a secondary concern, since the goal was to have the ultimate bass cannon in my collection, that I could turn to when I had the mood, or just felt like beating my ears into submission :)

The Ares II+, like an ever-faithful and reliable postman (or 'mailman', for our transatlantic cousins) delivers every time.
The sound signature is still audiophile (although you'll need some time to acclimatise from other mere-mortal IEMs), but the impact, slam and rumble of 'Dat Bass' in my humble opinion leaves even the mighty Legend X cowering on the floor and blubbering for mercy :D

Aside from this, until such time as I can try the now-legendary Code 51 with my EE Phantom, I have settled on the Ares II bespoke 8-wire as my conductor of choice!
I tried various cables with the Phantom, but always ended up feeling that whilst each had its benefits, they altered the unique sound signature of the Phantom too much for my liking, losing to some extent the very essence which makes it so irresistibly appealing to me.
The Ares II 8-wire managed to open up the soundstage and separation a bit more and give a touch more air, whilst preserving all that I've come to love about the Phantom.
Tough act to follow? Dude this is an amazing post. Thank you!

giphy.gif

Let this be the first of a full-on cable-pairing-sharing extravaganza. This includes all of you lurkers, now is the time to come forth and share your wisdom!

Oct 31, 2020 at 8:18 AM Post #4,672 of 7,970
I'll write a real response later but I remember Jack Vang once said the Horus just makes everything sound better and I feel like this is pretty accurate
Haha, quite a statement by Jack. But I'm certainly not going to disagree with somebody who's arms seems to be more muscled than my upper legs :grin:
On a serious note: imho he's not that far of the truth. I have the Horus 4w on my Phantom for quite some time now and I think the combination is hard to beat. But of course my refence is purely based on the cables that I've been able to try so far.

For me the Horus 4w did pretty much the same as what I read in that earlier Code 51 description:
Phantom with Code 51
Now you got me curious. What are the differences between these two in your opinion?

For me the Horus 4w also was an incredible good match with the Legend X, when I had it on a loan. And when I tried it on my Rhapsodio Solar, I was also blown away by the improvements in sq. So yeah, it's certainly a special one in my cable collection.

Btw, another cable that matched superb on the Phantom was the Leonidas II. I had that one on a loan for some days from @Wyville just before he put it up for auction for a good cause (cancer research). Oh, and together with that Leo II, he also sent me his Lionheart, which I really enjoyed on my Warbler Prelude.
For the Warbler I keep coming back to the 'basic' Ares II though...

Oh man, I don't have the intention to hurt your wallet here. I also haven't heard the Code 51 myself, but I do have the Ares II 8w and I can really advise to check the Leo II or Horus with your Phantom, whenever you have the chance. You will be (positively of course) surprised :ksc75smile:

Oct 31, 2020 at 2:03 PM Post #4,673 of 7,970
Btw, another cable that matched superb on the Phantom was the Leonidas II. I had that one on a loan for some days from @Wyville just before he put it up for auction for a good cause (cancer research). Oh, and together with that Leo II, he also sent me his Lionheart, which I really enjoyed on my Warbler Prelude.
For the Warbler I keep coming back to the 'basic' Ares II though...
Yeah, Leonidas II with the EE Phantom was quite the special pairing. Very exciting and dynamic! Although I loved that pairing, I think I will always have a soft spot for the Phantom with the Eros II 8-wire. It sounds grand, well balanced and incredibly smooth, perfect for kicking back and immersing myself in music. In general Eros II is in my opinion an outstanding and incredibly versatile cable. I have not heard the new Vogue series, but Eros II is (like Ares II) a hard cable to beat in terms of value.

If we are talking about excellent pairings, then I would have to list the Vision Ears VE5 with Lionheart as one of my all-time favourite pairings. Lionheart makes the VE5 sound incredible natural by adding just a little bit of warmth for very accurate sounding instruments. I always wanted to do a direct comparison between that pairing and the Phantom with Eros II 8W to see which of the two pairings would fit my own definition of "natural" best. It was actually that pairing that has kept the VE5 at the top of my wish list ever since I heard it.

Oct 31, 2020 at 2:23 PM Post #4,674 of 7,970
The one cable that has been my go to for many moons is the Eros II 8 wire. Great clarity with just that tiny hint of warmth to smooth out those treble-centric iems. Long time use with the Tia Fourte, and also great with the Sony IER-Z1R (with adapter). Probably one I won't ever sell. Couldn't really find a better replacement for the stock cable with the VE Elysium, but really feel like the Leo II/Cleo octa finally upped the ante on the SQ of this great ciem. IMO

Nov 1, 2020 at 1:39 AM Post #4,675 of 7,970
‘Haven’t had much time to tinker with cables as of late, but here are a few of my most recent favorite EA pairings:

VE ELYSIUM + Virtuoso

Though much has been said about the Code 51 pairing, and it’s a pairing I enjoy and appreciate as well, I think a dark horse in the ELYSIUM pairing race is the humble Vogue series’s Virtuoso. The cable plays to the ELYSIUM’s strengths, which is a light, airy brand of musicality with a slightly wet, slightly radiant midrange. But, what I love most about the cable is how it alters the ELYSIUM’s extremes. The low-end has greater size and weight to it, as well as a slightly longer decay. And, it refines the ELYSIUM’s treble, so its bite is as crisp as ever, but ever-so-slightly more controlled; more elegant. It’s also cable that won’t bottleneck the ELYSIUM’s spatial capabilities, even if it can’t maximize them quite like the Code 51 can. Though not the most opulent in price or materials, I think the Virtuoso is an underrated cable, especially with the ELYSIUM. If you’ve blown your entire budget on the in-ear, the Virtuoso is a superb value pick.

64 Audio A6t + Cleopatra

64 Audio’s A6t is a well-balanced all-rounder to me, which can eventually grow dull during long-term listening sessions, due to its slightly compressed upper-mids and limited headroom. The Cleopatra is a cable that, I feel, greatly alleviates those limitations and allows the in-ear to punch even further above its price range. It adds vibrance and zing to its upper-midrange, which opens instruments up and aids in impact. And, it opens up the top-end as well, which adds headroom and allows instruments to breathe more easily; removing that compressed feeling that typically mars longer listening sessions. So, if you have the A6t and you like its tone, but you want more openness and vibrance, the Cleopatra is a great option. And, this obviously applies to any in-ear you’d want to give a smooth, yet open sense of air to as well.

Vision Ears VE6XC + Leonidas II

Now, much has been said about the Phantom/Leonidas II pairing, and it’s a pairing I absolutely love as well. But, a pairing I’ve found with similar effects (and gains) is the Leonidas II with VE’s 6-driver VE6XC. Like the previous pairing, the Leo II fills in a lot of the VE6XC’s gaps. It tighten’s the in-ear’s hazy mid-bass and improves its sub-bass extension, it adds great resolution to the midrange, and it refines its highs as well. Though it’s a less popular model nowadays, I think the VE6XC still has potential for revitalisation with a cable like the Leo II. And, again, these changes can apply to any other in-ear that needs a dose of vibrancy, transparency and sub-bass depth too.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2020 at 9:37 PM Post #4,676 of 7,970
Btw, another cable that matched superb on the Phantom was the Leonidas II. I had that one on a loan for some days from @Wyville just before he put it up for auction for a good cause (cancer research).

Yeah, Leonidas II with the EE Phantom was quite the special pairing.

Completely agree with the Phantom and Leo II pairing. That's my favorite combo with my SPK1M and it's hard to describe just how good it is!

Nov 8, 2020 at 4:08 AM Post #4,677 of 7,970
These have been some truly fantastic posts. Thanks guys.

Hey you reading this. Yes, I'm talking to you specifically. Wouldn't it be great if there were some more posts to read? How about you share a little something something with us? It doesn't have to be long or complex, just jot some thoughts down that come to mind. Even if it doesn't seem noteworthy to you at first it's bound to help someone down the road, if not just to procrastinate for 30 seconds. You'd be of great service to all us readers.

Now you got me curious. What are the differences between these two in your opinion?
Ah yes great question, a battle royal of EA's finest. In brief you could see it like this.
Horus has a very musical presentation with a clear and slightly brighter sound due to its emphasis on the lower treble, and a simply beautiful treble sparkle: delightful yet smooth and overall just very enjoyable, as the sound isn't too bright or artificial. And of course great resolution and detail perception overall.

Code 51's tone is a bit atypical for a silver-based cable, as it doesn't have that standard clear/brightish sound. So it can even seem a bit subdued or darkish in a way. However its timbre is truer, so instruments sound more natural and realistic. And its resolution and especially transparency is the highest of the range, despite it being less bright than the other cables.

So overall Horus has a more fun and in its own way musical sound due to its clearer tone and beautiful lower treble sparkle, which makes it easy and engaging to listen to, even thought it sounds more coloured by comparison. Code 51 in turn impresses with its outstanding technical performance and truer tone.

Nov 9, 2020 at 2:39 AM Post #4,678 of 7,970
Another person here with a real soft spot for the Eros II 8 wire. It was a fantastic pairing with the Phantom, better than the Ares 4 wire or the 8 wire. I still miss that set up. The best timbre of any iem I've owned I think..

I do have a question about the Leonidas. I know all these cables are made for iems but any reason I couldn't use my Leonidas 1 with a headphone?
I'm getting a Hifiman Ananda as something to relax with when my ears want a break from iems and I think I'm going to get me Leonidas reterminated to use as a cable for these.
I love this cable so why not? is there some impedance issue or some reason it would be a bad idea? Are these cables limited to iems for a purpose other than because of a passion for iems over headphones?

Nov 10, 2020 at 1:57 PM Post #4,679 of 7,970
Another person here with a real soft spot for the Eros II 8 wire. It was a fantastic pairing with the Phantom, better than the Ares 4 wire or the 8 wire. I still miss that set up. The best timbre of any iem I've owned I think..

I do have a question about the Leonidas. I know all these cables are made for iems but any reason I couldn't use my Leonidas 1 with a headphone?
I'm getting a Hifiman Ananda as something to relax with when my ears want a break from iems and I think I'm going to get me Leonidas reterminated to use as a cable for these.
I love this cable so why not? is there some impedance issue or some reason it would be a bad idea? Are these cables limited to iems for a purpose other than because of a passion for iems over headphones?
Thanks for sharing! I agree, the Eros II 8-wire is one of the best cables I never had, particularly for its timbre and airy stage.

Leo 1 is a modern classic, I understand your devotion. That smooth top end made it quite unique for a silver cable. From what I understand it should be possible, just keep in mind that changing the connector and soldering might alter its sound.

Nov 10, 2020 at 3:13 PM Post #4,680 of 7,970
Thanks for sharing! I agree, the Eros II 8-wire is one of the best cables I never had, particularly for its timbre and airy stage.

Leo 1 is a modern classic, I understand your devotion. That smooth top end made it quite unique for a silver cable. From what I understand it should be possible, just keep in mind that changing the connector and soldering might alter its sound.

Thanks for the reply. I figured there would be no issue but I wondered at the difference when going from a sensitive iem to a larger driver if something gets lost in the translation. I would be getting it reterminated professionally with quality connectors and Mundorf solder so while the sound may change somewhat, hopefully a lateral change rather than a degradation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back