Effect Audio cables thread
Sep 3, 2022 at 9:29 AM Post #6,241 of 7,970
The ConX MMCX works perfectly with IE300/600/900 tho.
Ah, I did not know this.

So, this afternoon I tried IE900 with my ConX Cleopatra

It does fit the IE900, but I would not say perfectly, as it's quite loose and easily detached 🤔
Maybe I am fiddling it wrong somewhere.

Will be waiting patiently for the qdc options though 😌

Sep 4, 2022 at 2:46 PM Post #6,242 of 7,970
I’ve just been having a search around for what connections you can add to TermX. I knew there should be 2.5, 3.5 & 4.4, but I never knew you could get Lightning and Type-C. This really interests me as I have started to use my iPhone and iPad a bit more for music.

I’m not sure what you actually get in the kit though. On the EA site it shows what looks like a lightning, a type c and then possibly a 4.4mm and 2.5mm. Do the contents change depending on what jack you already got with the cable? E.g. if I bought a cable with 4.4mm does this mean the TermX kit would then have a 2.5mm and 3.5mm?

Sep 4, 2022 at 3:26 PM Post #6,243 of 7,970
So, after much deliberation, I got all of the Signature Series cables. Here are they in their full glory:

20220825_143812.jpg

Looks striking, I have to say. This was one of the best decisions I have made in this hobby, as of yet.

Since I already posted my impressions about the Ares S and Eros S, not gonna spend any more words on them, as they perform identically. However, I would like to focus on the Cadmus here, as I did not get to hear it before.

And frankly, Cadmus has blown me outta the water.

Normally what I have experienced in cheaper SPC cable is that it reduces the low-end emphasis and enhances upper mid and treble emphasis. However, that does not seem to be the operating philosophy of Cadmus. Rather, the Cadmus tightens up the low end such that it still slams equally hard, but the decay becomes a tad bit faster and the body of the note becomes a bit taut, which has an apparent cleaning-up effect on the low end. As an added benefit, the textures become a bit more prominent, bringing out a bit more details.
In the midrange, Cadmus enhances the realism of the notes. The notes now feel slightly better defined, have slightly more three-dimensional presence than before, and textures are also slightly more evident. Air improves slightly also.
Miraculously, in the treble region, Cadmus does not accentuate the peaks! Rather, it enhances the presence of the whole treble region uniformly. And this is where it differs from the other SPC cable. Cadmus is not about party tricks, it's all about refinement and enhancement. Quite frankly, I have not experienced such a matured-sounding Silver Plated UPOCC cable before, and suffice to say I am hella pleased with it. The fact that it comes with both mmcx and 2 pin means that my hunt for an SPC cable is permanently over!

20220902_1526311.jpg

The IEM I have chosen to pair it with is a Dual DD offering from IMR, Dark Matter. 11mm Wide band dynamic CNT ADLC Dynamic + 6mm CNT conduction motor. However, this 6mm CNT Driver is hard mounted to the body, such that it produces sound as well as transmute the vibration to the shell to slightly enhance the overall sound. In its stock sound, it is a legit basshead iem with clear midrange, and a somewhat reserved treble. Cadmus cleans up the bass while retaining the punch, makes the midrange more prominent, and brings out the treble a bit more - combined everything, it becomes a noticeably better version than before with the stock cable (the stock cable isn't bad, just the synergy isn't exactly perfect.)

20220902_1517301.jpg

However, there is one major caveat - the earhooks. The earhooks are quite thick, definitely of a very durable silicone, but they are also very stiff and very small curvature. And because of this stiffness, it was putting considerable pressure on my ear and was pulling the iems out of my ears. I had to remove them, as you can see in the above picture, for better comfort and seal. @EffectAudio @JordonEA I would very much prefer if you can widen the earhooks a bit more and make it a bit softer, to enhance the wearing comfort.

Excellent review and totally agree with you on the Cadmus. I happened to like the earhooks but everyone different so it’s hard to make something that pleases everyone. Glad you found a way to improve them for your needs.
Been spending more time with the Mest Indigo than the Mest Mkii once Indigo is burned in will try the Cadmus cable with them.

Sep 4, 2022 at 7:57 PM Post #6,244 of 7,970
The Cadmus and Eros Signature series cables have arrived!

The is first impression is just re Cadmus, which I have paired with 64 Audio U12T (uni) with MX Apex module. Source was Hiby R8, though I add a wrinkle at the end re the Cayin C9.

I will not recapitulate the unboxing or fine packaging elsewhere described. I will say that the chin slider is packaged in shrink wrap with the Y-splitter so do remove that if you want to use it, which you will (read on).

I am comparing the Cadmus to the Eletech Project 8 Fortitude, an 8-wire copper cable. (Sorry I do t have another SPC cable to which to compare Cadmus). Both cables are very supple. Both are 2.5 mm balance terminated, for the Cadmus I am using the EA ultra-short adapter 2.5 mm—>4.4 mm (non-Pentaconn) whereas for the P8F I use Eletech’s 2.5->4.4 mm Socrates pigtail. Tracks were Fruhlingsgefuhle by Melokind, Magnetar by Mark Lettieri, Beldiya by Triplego, Twice by Ludovici Einaudi (Reimagined by Mercan Dede) Lifted by Love by KD Lang, Drover by Bill Callahan I used Azla Sedna Xelastic tips well worn in.

Fit: I agree with @Ace Bee that the shrinkwrap cover of the earhooks has a very tight curvature; however I found by “working” this a bit it loosened up to a point I could use it. Agree that otherwise it impacts ear tip fit. I had no difficulty with inserting the two 0.78 pins into the U12T- some over on the 64 Audio thread expressed concern that this might damage the IEMs (which are 0.75 mm separated) but I think having already inserted the P8Fs whatever stresses/molecular re-arrangements to the shell that resulted from this happened long before and the pins slide right in- snug but not tight.

I’m not much of a proponent of burn in but I will say that I heard a VERY GREAT change within the first 30 min of use- at first there was significant clipping of the bass which was clearly over- elevated, but this rapidly cleared (so anti-burn in readers- I assert it’s real, though I am not sure how much difference 30 min makes compared to 30 hours).

On to sound after the first 30 min. Re: all that I heard I am only one user and these are my own impressions, YMMV. I affirm pretty much all what others have said re tightening of the bass, shortening of bass decay, elevation of the mids, great treble extension. The principle thing I noticed is that while the bass is still impactful (plenty of slam, fellow bass-heads!) it does not overwhelm the rest of the FR. I would mostly characterize the SQ as “dynamic” across the range, by which I mean the contrast between the leading edge of the notes and the blackness in between. The bass drops are quite incredible but they do not overwhelm the clarity of the mids not the sweetness of the treble, or detail retrieval. No where do I hear any harshness or sibilance. It is quite an exciting listen, “engaging, dynamic, exciting, but balanced and detailed” are adjectives that come to mind.

In contrast, P8F is very smooth, musical, but less dynamic. Mids are still elevated so there is a W-shaped FR, bass decay is longer, treble extension and detail are still good, sparkle up top is a little less. It is a very pleasant listen, still without harshness, still well balanced but less exciting.

Stage is as previously described and about the same with both cables- not intimate nor particularly wide or deep, but similarly holographic. I think Cadmus gives more of an impression in terms of layering and imaging because of the increased intensity of sound at all levels- details and leading edges of notes jump out at all frequencies and multiple locations in the sonic image.

Two additional things- I pick up quite a lot of microphonics on Cadmus when not using the chin slider- head movements against the cable transmit up to the IEM and I can hear them above the music. The slider eliminates this entirely. I like the fact that the slider keeps the 2 cables slightly separated as they pass through it- which also helps. It’s a good slider so i recommend to take off the shrink wrap and use it!

The second is the pairing with C9 (after I got done with my listening on the R8). I plugged the R8 LO into the C9 using Cayin’s own 4.4 mm copper IC and listened in line-in mode. I have always enjoyed the 4 different modes of listening available on the C9 ( + or - Korg Nutubes; Class A or AB). This is the first set up where I could really clearly and instantly differentiate the “tube sound” the C9 Korg Nu-tubes add to the U12T ie when paired to the Cadmus. Usually the Korg Nutubes make the sound smoother but not “tube-y”- with Cadmus it is very discernible.

Overall, a very enjoyable pairing.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2022 at 10:25 PM Post #6,245 of 7,970
I’ve just been having a search around for what connections you can add to TermX. I knew there should be 2.5, 3.5 & 4.4, but I never knew you could get Lightning and Type-C. This really interests me as I have started to use my iPhone and iPad a bit more for music.

I’m not sure what you actually get in the kit though. On the EA site it shows what looks like a lightning, a type c and then possibly a 4.4mm and 2.5mm. Do the contents change depending on what jack you already got with the cable? E.g. if I bought a cable with 4.4mm does this mean the TermX kit would then have a 2.5mm and 3.5mm?
I added Termx to my Horus, if nothing's changed, you will get the following (along with a small case to store everything)
  • 4.4mm
  • 2.5mm
  • Lightning connector
  • USB C connector
There will be no 3.5mm

Sep 5, 2022 at 4:16 AM Post #6,246 of 7,970
I added Termx to my Horus, if nothing's changed, you will get the following (along with a small case to store everything)
  • 4.4mm
  • 2.5mm
  • Lightning connector
  • USB C connector
There will be no 3.5mm
Thanks for the info. I’m sure I read there was a 3.5mm jack available that was TermX. I wonder if EA would change the kit if that’s what you needed?

From the site it shows that the TermX kit costs extra. Using the new Cleopatra II as an example, it comes with ConX and TermX connectors already fitted. Now if I purchased this cable and opted for 4.4mm termination, then a short time after bought the TermX kit I would end up with two 4.4mm jacks but no 3.5mm jack.

Perhaps this is a question for Effect Audio?

Sep 5, 2022 at 10:31 AM Post #6,247 of 7,970
  • 4.4mm
  • 2.5mm
  • Lightning connector
  • USB C connector
There will be no 3.5mm

Thanks for the info. I’m sure I read there was a 3.5mm jack available that was TermX. I wonder if EA would change the kit if that’s what you needed?

From the site it shows that the TermX kit costs extra. Using the new Cleopatra II as an example, it comes with ConX and TermX connectors already fitted. Now if I purchased this cable and opted for 4.4mm termination, then a short time after bought the TermX kit I would end up with two 4.4mm jacks but no 3.5mm jack.

Perhaps this is a question for Effect Audio?
Both you are right, as for the current TermX full set offerings there is NO 3.5mm due to its popularity.

However after launch of Cleopatra II, we will change the TermX full set to TermX basic set(2.5/3.5/4.4), Type C and Lightening will be offered separately. Cleo II will comes with either TermX Basic or OFC 4.4 as default.

We will also make changes to the ConX at the same time, ConX basic will be introduced, which includes ony CIEM and MMCX, ConX Full set price will be adjust from current $60 to $80 which comes with 5 sets of connectors, and meanwhile each pair of connector will be able to purchase separatley as well at $15.

Hopefully with the variant options, you can have more flexibility to choose the right connection and termination type you need and also not wasting the ones you do not need.

Suyang

Effect Audio Stay updated on Effect Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/effectaudiosg/ https://twitter.com/EffectAudio https://www.instagram.com/effectaudio/ http://www.effectaudio.com/ https://wa.me/message/A64BKXQECHD4E1 info@effectaudio.com
Sep 5, 2022 at 6:44 PM Post #6,248 of 7,970
Both you are right, as for the current TermX full set offerings there is NO 3.5mm due to its popularity.

However after launch of Cleopatra II, we will change the TermX full set to TermX basic set(2.5/3.5/4.4), Type C and Lightening will be offered separately. Cleo II will comes with either TermX Basic or OFC 4.4 as default.

We will also make changes to the ConX at the same time, ConX basic will be introduced, which includes ony CIEM and MMCX, ConX Full set price will be adjust from current $60 to $80 which comes with 5 sets of connectors, and meanwhile each pair of connector will be able to purchase separatley as well at $15.

Hopefully with the variant options, you can have more flexibility to choose the right connection and termination type you need and also not wasting the ones you do not need.

Suyang
Thanks @Suyang for giving us more information on this.

Sep 6, 2022 at 12:35 AM Post #6,249 of 7,970
Here I provide my 2 cents on Eros S.

Pls see my post above (#6248) on my A/B comparisons between Cadmus and another cable when both were paired with U12T. In what follows, gear was the same as in the aforementioned comparison (Hiby R8 as source, Azla Sedna Xelastic tips) and same tunes compared.

As others found, I too found the Eros S to tilt towards neutral with an expansive soundstage; however, when paired with U12T , to me SQ was not much different than U12T with the 8 wire copper Eletech Project 8 Fortitude (my comparison cable for this IEM). The biggest difference was that the bass was substantially elevated on U12T using Eros S cp to P8F - not much else noted but I imagine that the soundstage improvements over the U12T's stock cable may already have been "taken care of" for this IEM by originally pairing it with the 8-wire P8F.

So, next I asked myself, what other IEMs do I have that might benefit from a similar increase in soundstage and an increase in bass impact? So I moved Eros to my Monarch Mk2. The MMk2 has a stock copper cable that is 4 wire 26AWG Silver Plated OCC Litz. So in someways it is more similar to Cadmus. Indeed I did pair it with Cadmus earlier today, and found Cadmus to be very similar in SQ to the stock cable, though with a bit of extra bass kick that the stock cable did not have. With Eros S, however, MMk2 is transformed. Now the stage opens up nicely. With stock sound always seemed to be inside my head. Instrument separation now seems much wider/deeper than with the stock SPC. MMk2 already has excellent imaging and detail retrieval in the mids - some (@Precogvision) have reported it to be unparalleled in this aspect at a similar kilobuck price range. But many have lamented that the MMk2 does not have the bass impact of its OG predecessor.

Apart from the soundstage improvements, bass impact (surprisingly) is NOT greatly elevated when MMk2 is paired with Eros S; however, the bass quality and texture is tighter and more textured, compared to stock. Mids are still forward and detailed (no losses here). Treble is more extended and a bit elevated. The snare drum "thwack" is now more impactful on the top end, but there is no harshness or sibilance anywhere in the treble range. I'm not hearing a lot of shimmer up top, but I have mild tinnitus and 65 yo ears so, go figure. HOWEVER - to my ears- this seems a better pairing for Eros S than is the 64 Audio U12T, and definitely for the MMk2 an improvement over the stock SPC . MMk2 has been very highly rated by some (eg. @crinacle), but to me it's always been a bit of a 'meh' - technically good but not exciting. This pairing definitely alters my view of the MMk2, positively.

Sep 6, 2022 at 1:07 AM Post #6,250 of 7,970
@JordonEA @Suyang When is the Cleo II launching? Will you have any at SoCal CanJam?

Sep 6, 2022 at 5:23 AM Post #6,251 of 7,970
@JordonEA @Suyang When is the Cleo II launching? Will you have any at SoCal CanJam?
@Shecky504 Cleopatra II will be launching really soon - 7th September, 6pm SGT. Yes, we will be featuring Cleopatra II at SoCal CanJam 😬

Also! Our hybrid IEM project with Elysian Acoustic Labs, Gaea, will be making an appearance too. It's gonna be a party that weekend 🎉 Keep a lookout for our booth!

- Jordon

https://www.facebook.com/effectaudiosg/ https://twitter.com/EffectAudio https://www.instagram.com/effectaudio/ http://www.effectaudio.com/ https://wa.me/message/A64BKXQECHD4E1 info@effectaudio.com
Sep 7, 2022 at 4:41 AM Post #6,252 of 7,970
The Queen is eager to meet her people. Just slightly more than an hour to go.

Cleopatra II Packaging.jpeg

Sep 8, 2022 at 7:16 PM Post #6,254 of 7,970
The Queen is eager to meet her people. Just slightly more than an hour to go.

Cleopatra II Packaging.jpeg
The box looks good so far for the Cleo II. Can’t wait to see the full package! The unboxing experience for the Cadmus was superb and so I’ve got high hopes for this one!

Sep 10, 2022 at 10:42 PM Post #6,255 of 7,970
We already have a lot of occation to try the Cleo II 4 wire and 8 wire cable at shows and demos. I suddenly wonder, what would the pairing be like if we pair the Cleo II with Effect Audio Gaea earphone. With the punch bass and analog thickness from the Cleo II, pairing with Gaea will be very interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back