Electrostat noob questions
Jan 9, 2007 at 2:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

Davesrose

Headphoneus Supremus
OK, so I'm completely satisfied with my dynamic headphone setup.....HD650s on my current setup are sounding SWEET. But I've come across some birthday money, and figure maybe it's maybe time to get an electrostatic headphone to see what the hub bub is about. I've got $1,000....so that's got to be enough to get the earspeaker and the amp. For that budget I suppose STAX is the only option. I would be using my Music Hall and DAC1 as source. Stats are supposed to have weaker bass right? If so, my system might be too cold.

Is it better to spend money primarily on the headphone? I'm thinking I can either spend more on the headphone and find a cheap amp....or if the amp does make a big impact, perhaps spend equal amounts. This is the config that Audiocubes sells that's in my price range. It's the SR-303 headphones and SRM-323 amp. Will it have the adequate detail, bass, and soundstage for classical music, as well as general rock? I figure my Senns will still be the best with electronica.

http://www.audiocubes.com/category/H...ic_System.html

Jan 9, 2007 at 3:19 AM Post #2 of 32
Electrostat Headphones ? sounds like a headphone torture device.
How does it function ?
Sorry for asking on an asking thread just curious
blink.gif

Jan 9, 2007 at 3:24 AM Post #3 of 32
Unless you REALLY want the official warranty and all that jazz, try not to order them directly from AudioCubes. You can save a LOT getting them second hand. If you buy them second hand you can easily get the SR-404 and SRM-313 for ~$650-$700 as a nice starter set (and upgrade the amp later on if you dig the sound). Or you try to get some Lambda Pros and STAX SRM-1/MKII Pro amp on eBay for less.

Nitpick - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrostatic_loudspeaker

Jan 9, 2007 at 3:34 AM Post #5 of 32
Davesrose, the SR-303 is effectively one of what is known as the Lambda series. The SR-202 and SR-404 are also in the same series and are similar. I'm not familiar with Lambdas myself so can't offer much advice but yes, this is probably one of the few combos that will fit in the budget you are looking at unless you look second hand. I think it's safe to say the detail will be top notch and I expect the soundstage will be good too based on the reputation Lambdas have. In my experience stats are not particularly lacking in bass when driven with an appropriate amp but this can happen if the amp is lacking. As I said though I have no experience with the Lambdas so I have no idea what their bass signature is like. Buying a complete system like this does though does suggest that Stax consider the SRM-323 adequate to drive the SR-303. Whether it will play well with your other components is another matter. If there was a way to upgrade the SR-303 to a SR-404 it might be worth it, from memory the SR-404 has a better cable.

Jan 9, 2007 at 3:36 AM Post #6 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK, so I'm completely satisfied with my dynamic headphone setup.....

http://www.audiocubes.com/category/H...ic_System.html

You rarely read "completely satisfied" around these pages, even among electrostatic owners. So if YOU are, do NOT change anything. Use the money to take a trip, buy some books, pay for school, invest, or buy your girlfriend (or prospect) something really nice.

Jan 9, 2007 at 3:36 AM Post #7 of 32
Don't expect the kind of visceral bass that you get from dynamic cans with electrostats. The bass extension will still be there, and there will still be impact due to its fast attack, but don't expect the visceral bass that you can really FEEL. This is with the 404/313 set up at least.

Jan 9, 2007 at 3:43 AM Post #8 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't expect the kind of visceral bass that you get from dynamic cans with electrostats. The bass extension will still be there, and there will still be impact due to its fast attack, but don't expect the visceral bass that you can really FEEL. This is with the 404/313 set up at least.

The O2s have visceral bass on my setup and the SR-003s are pretty decent too. I really have to hear a 404 sometime for comparison.

Jan 9, 2007 at 3:45 AM Post #9 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You rarely read "completely satisfied" around these pages, even among electrostatic owners. So if YOU are, do NOT change anything. Use the money to take a trip, buy some books, pay for school, invest, or buy your girlfriend (or prospect) something really nice.

Yeah....I'm thinking ignorance is bliss sometimes
biggrin.gif
My current dynamic rig is sounding very lifelike.....so part of me just figures either spend a little more money to try a stat, or maybe try out vinyl. Actually.....so far with the input here, I'm thinking getting a TT will just be a nice add on to my current setup. Do hear plenty of people raving about how older recordings sound on TT.

Mirumu and Azure, looks like I'll think about the 404 for my headphones, if I do go the stats route.

Jan 9, 2007 at 3:49 AM Post #10 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by mirumu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The O2s have visceral bass on my setup and the SR-003s are pretty decent too. I really have to hear a 404 sometime for comparison.

Humm......have you heard Beyers Mirumu? I know you haven't heard the HD650 yet, but I'm wondering how a dynamic would compare with a STAX for bass. O2s are too expensive to buy as my first stat
biggrin.gif
.....so if the SR-003 shows up on e-bay, I might go for it.

Jan 9, 2007 at 3:54 AM Post #11 of 32
Quote:

Yeah....I'm thinking ignorance is bliss sometimes
biggrin.gif
My current dynamic rig is sounding very lifelike.....so part of me just figures either spend a little more money to try a stat, or maybe try out vinyl. Actually.....so far with the input here, I'm thinking getting a TT will just be a nice add on to my current setup. Do hear plenty of people raving about how older recordings sound on TT.

I'm quite a fan of vinyl myself. You've reminded me that I really need to get a new needle and cartridge.

Quote:

Mirumu and Azure, looks like I'll think about the 404 for my headphones, if I do go the stats route.

According to some there is very little difference between the 303 and 404. Honestly I expect the amp would make a greater difference. My Omega 2s sound completely different on different amps.

Jan 9, 2007 at 4:03 AM Post #12 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by mirumu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm quite a fan of vinyl myself. You've reminded me that I really need to get a new needle and cartridge.

According to some there is very little difference between the 303 and 404. Honestly I expect the amp would make a greater difference. My Omega 2s sound completely different on different amps.

I have a feeling that price differences between 2nd hand 404s vs 303s is little as well......but if STAX amps are that different too
rolleyes.gif
Looks like maybe I should just hold off and see if there are ever any at any meets. I already found my perfect synergy with dynamics.

You seem to be making me turn around and think TTs again Mirumu
biggrin.gif
I hear ATL has a great vinyl store, so it does seem like fun to get a TT and do some collecting. I've also got one free shelf on my rig. I'm thinking of maybe getting a Thorens, Music Hall, or Rega TT. Any experience with these Mirumu? I'm so wishy washy, but the Thorens TD-190 is one that I'm considering.....don't know how the cart rates though. Might be a good starter though.....

well from headphones to vinyl, I'm that wishy washy!!!
eggosmile.gif

Jan 9, 2007 at 4:06 AM Post #13 of 32
Quote:

Humm......have you heard Beyers Mirumu? I know you haven't heard the HD650 yet, but I'm wondering how a dynamic would compare with a STAX for bass. O2s are too expensive to buy as my first stat
biggrin.gif
.....so if the SR-003 shows up on e-bay, I might go for it.

I've not heard any Beyers, I suspect the only can we have in common is the HD595 which aren't known for strong bass. My O2s do have much deeper and more powerful bass than my HD595s although but I'm not sure if that means a lot to some.
wink.gif
My SR-003s are very close to the level of my Shure E500s (An IEM known for emphasizing the bass). They're not quite as visceral but more resolving and with better PRaT in the bass registers.

Jan 9, 2007 at 4:15 AM Post #15 of 32
Quote:

I have a feeling that price differences between 2nd hand 404s vs 303s is little as well......but if STAX amps are that different too
rolleyes.gif
Looks like maybe I should just hold off and see if there are ever any at any meets. I already found my perfect synergy with dynamics.

Listening first is always a good plan. I was trying to listen to a good range of cans to find the sound that was right for me. That's why I bought my Senns and Grados and I listened to a few others as well. Hearing the Sennhesier HE60 though sold me on electrostatics. Don't regret it for a moment so far.

Quote:

You seem to be making me turn around and think TTs again Mirumu
biggrin.gif
I hear ATL has a great vinyl store, so it does seem like fun to get a TT and do some collecting. I've also got one free shelf on my rig. I'm thinking of maybe getting a Thorens, Music Hall, or Rega TT. Any experience with these Mirumu? I'm so wishy washy, but the Thorens TD-190 is one that I'm considering.....don't know how the cart rates though. Might be a good starter though.....

well from headphones to vinyl, I'm that wishy washy!!!
eggosmile.gif

Really it's been quite a while since I last seriously played with vinyl. I do have a bit of a collection of LPs though, mostly stuff I bought myself back in the 80s and much of my brother's collection dating back through the 60s which I refused to let him get rid of. I can't believe he was thinking of throwing them out. Couldn't let that happen.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back