Electrostatics and having a lot of electricity around your head.
Jul 14, 2014 at 2:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Jeff Y

1000+ Head-Fier
I once have considered buying a Stax system which lost to the HD650 and a Graham Slee amp. The major reason why was simply because I liked the latter's sound better and because I was scared of the way electrostatics work. I plan on getting a Stax system now that I sold my HD800, Vioelectric, and some more things. I have seen cases where people got brain tumors from talking on the cell phone too much and this made me wonder if electrostatics with their pretty high ohm/power and so on would be safe if you listen to them everyday (which I do for at least 5 hours a day). With electro-statics working by putting a lot of electricity through mylar(or something like that), I don't necessarily want to have it on my head for too long. I hope many thousands of Stax owners are not at danger.

Jul 14, 2014 at 2:39 AM Post #2 of 13
I doubt the correlation between Cell Phones and Tumors is very strong, although feasible.

Cell Phones are designed to transmit radio waves. Headphones are not. The amount of radio waves produced by currents in headphones is negligible, if it does so at all. You would be much more likely to get a Tumor from the constant radio waves in the air from random people's phone conversations. Almost everyone is exposed to that, and very few of those people develop Tumors. I highly doubt there is any danger at all from any commercial headphone.

I do remember hearing about someone who was "allergic" to electricity or electromagnetic radiation. He had to insulate himself in some way from being outside in general, due to all of the constant communication in the world. There is a good likelihood that it was all in his head, but I guess you never know.

Jul 14, 2014 at 2:46 AM Post #3 of 13
just the amount of power needed for electrostatics compared to my grados or even my HD650s seem so much more on paper it makes me wary:frowning2: I hope the Stax mafia doesn't come in here anytime soon lol.

Jul 14, 2014 at 3:41 AM Post #4 of 13
If anything, STAX is going to be more safe than any headphones with a magnet in it.

That is if you believe in magnetic field near your head giving you cancers in the first place...

Jul 15, 2014 at 2:06 AM Post #5 of 13
I can't say people don't know about dangers of electrostatic headphones just because the electrostatic market isn't that huge, but still, it seems like if A Lot more people used this there would be some people saying "that's totally not safe" it just scares me still :frowning2:

Jul 15, 2014 at 2:25 AM Post #6 of 13
The static you get from closing car doors or just taking off a wool jumper is far more "dangerous" if you call it that way.

The amount of current in the stator in a pair of electrostats are small, it certainly will not jump to zap you.

I recommend you to read up on how electrostats works before turning away misunderstood

Jul 15, 2014 at 3:32 AM Post #8 of 13
Cell phones emit ultra high frequency radiation over long distances. Electrostatic headphones only create a field in the audible frequency range which is a million times lower than a cell phone. The distance of the field is only a few centimeters at most, or 10000 times less than a cell phone.

Unless everyone you know who has ever used a cell phone subsequently dropped dead, I wouldn't worry about it.

Jul 15, 2014 at 3:48 AM Post #9 of 13
If you are so very worried about it, I will personally test your pair of Stax over a span of 5-10 years. I will record all of the terrifying physical and mental deformations that occur as a result of my interaction with the highly unstable Stax headphones. I know it will be a tremendously dangerous task, but I am willing to do this for you because I care deeply about your personal safety.

Jul 15, 2014 at 4:53 AM Post #10 of 13
If you are so very worried about it, I will personally test your pair of Stax over a span of 5-10 years. I will record all of the terrifying physical and mental deformations that occur as a result of my interaction with the highly unstable Stax headphones. I know it will be a tremendously dangerous task, but I am willing to do this for you because I care deeply about your personal safety.

lol not dis. Thanks but no thanks lol.

Jul 15, 2014 at 5:10 AM Post #11 of 13
  I once have considered buying a Stax system which lost to the HD650 and a Graham Slee amp. The major reason why was simply because I liked the latter's sound better and because I was scared of the way electrostatics work. I plan on getting a Stax system now that I sold my HD800, Vioelectric, and some more things. I have seen cases where people got brain tumors from talking on the cell phone too much and this made me wonder if electrostatics with their pretty high ohm/power and so on would be safe if you listen to them everyday (which I do for at least 5 hours a day). With electro-statics working by putting a lot of electricity through mylar(or something like that), I don't necessarily want to have it on my head for too long. I hope many thousands of Stax owners are not at danger.

How electrostatic headphones work.

Tell me more about the gear you used - which headphones, amps, DACs, cables, etc., as well as the types of music you auditioned. I may be able to offer some insights.

Just so you know, the only real danger inherent to electrostatic headphone systems is if you open up the amplifier or mess with the tubes in the wrong way - that goes for when it's off and unplugged too. (And of course, there is the possibility of ruining the equipment itself via foolish practices like leaving things plugged in while lightning strikes, spilling liquids onto or dropping it, and so on.)

Another thing to think about is the difference between volts and watts. A taser has high voltage and low current, whereas an electric eel (which isn't a real eel, by the way) has a low voltage, high current discharge - which is why the former is a popular non-lethal weapon and the latter can stop a human heart within seconds in an unlucky encounter. Just goes to show you that tech data about high electricity doesn't necessarily mean it's particularly hazardous.

Jul 16, 2014 at 2:56 AM Post #13 of 13
I ride motorcycles. I doubt something as innocuous as wearing a headphone is going to bother me. lol

lol lets ride motorcycles skydiving with Stax on with Justin Beiber on and hope your parachute is gonna work lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back