Eleven Audio XIAUDIO Formula S Headphone Amplifier
Mar 21, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #31 of 674
for anything other than the abyss, the susvara and perhaps the lcd-4 the dave alone is wonderful....with the hardest to drive HP's the pros outweigh the cons in terms of adding an amp IMHO
Maybe "enough power" isn't everything, the DAVE, and even formula S do not have high output power. But they drive these planar magnetic headphones very well.

Mar 21, 2021 at 4:34 PM Post #32 of 674
Like many, I amp my 1266 TC via the TT2's rear XLR output. I know this results in a little loss of transparency, but the extra power is worth it to my ears. I'm hoping that as I switch to the formula S/powerman for amp duties, the loss in transparency does not exceed what I am already experiencing. That way I might be able to justify adding the additional voicing and dynamics the Formula S adds. It's hard to imagine hearing anything better than the TT2/HMS/1266 combo, but I'm willing to trust word of mouth and give it a shot

@Ratephi any interest in providing some quick impressions of the TT2/Formula S combo for the greater good?

Mar 24, 2021 at 12:14 AM Post #34 of 674
Like many, I amp my 1266 TC via the TT2's rear XLR output. I know this results in a little loss of transparency, but the extra power is worth it to my ears. I'm hoping that as I switch to the formula S/powerman for amp duties, the loss in transparency does not exceed what I am already experiencing. That way I might be able to justify adding the additional voicing and dynamics the Formula S adds. It's hard to imagine hearing anything better than the TT2/HMS/1266 combo, but I'm willing to trust word of mouth and give it a shot

@Ratephi any interest in providing some quick impressions of the TT2/Formula S combo for the greater good?
Is there a difference in bass going from the SE to the rear XLR's. I'm currently waiting for my cable for the rear xlr's to arrive 🙃

Mar 24, 2021 at 12:41 AM Post #35 of 674
nope...since it is a SE design there should be zero difference

Mar 24, 2021 at 6:45 AM Post #36 of 674
Does the Formula S come with power cable?

It has been some time since I unboxed mine so I'm actually not sure to remember whether or not it actually does come with a power cord...it might actually not. If ever though, it was just a standard cheapo so don't expect anything fancy...

If you buy the Powerman too, then that is provided with the umbilical to interconnect power supply and amplifier. In other words, you will only need one power cable which will plug into the Powerman.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2021 at 12:20 PM Post #38 of 674
I do not believe it came with a power cord but other than the convenience of having something to get started the power chord provided as a general rule is the type you can get on amazon for 5 bucks so my suggestion is to buy a power chord on amazon or a hardware store to get started and then treat yourself to a better chord because IMHO it makes a difference

Mar 24, 2021 at 1:41 PM Post #39 of 674
I do not believe it came with a power cord but other than the convenience of having something to get started the power chord provided as a general rule is the type you can get on amazon for 5 bucks so my suggestion is to buy a power chord on amazon or a hardware store to get started and then treat yourself to a better chord because IMHO it makes a difference
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll start with a cheap power cord then.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2021 at 1:42 PM Post #40 of 674
Thank you very much for your detailed response. I am still learning as to what I like, so hard to say if warmth or analytical is better for me. However, what I can say is that Hugo 2 was not powerful for my Diana V2s, even though many has told me that it will. I think it has to do with the music I listen to (mainly EDM), never classical, so I don't think Dave would suffice from that perspective. For me, I would definitely start with upgrading DAC before AMP, as I have already V281 which I have heard compares to Formula S in terms of "can drive Abyss headphones". I was just curious as to what extra Powerman adds, as almost everyone suggests it!

Chord Qutest and Formula S remain in my top watchlist as set up for Diana V2.

Formula S itself is a clear step up from V281 or Milo Vishay Kozmo in my book. Especially in term of spacious soundstage, micro detail, and transparency. Bass extension on Diana also best with Formula S. Yes, V281 presence bigger body on mid bass, but the bass density itself is more pronounce on Formula S.

Milo Vishay Kozmo is slight better than V281 in term of soundstage and imaging quality, but Formula S easily the best of the three in this regard.

I'm still waiting for a chance to be able try Formula S with Powerman though.

Mar 24, 2021 at 10:56 PM Post #41 of 674
Is there a difference in bass going from the SE to the rear XLR's. I'm currently waiting for my cable for the rear xlr's to arrive 🙃
What is the link for cable if you don't mind sharing? I will have a TT2 in a couple of days myself. :wink:

Mar 24, 2021 at 11:23 PM Post #42 of 674
What is the link for cable if you don't mind sharing? I will have a TT2 in a couple of days myself. :wink:
I got arctic cables to make me a custom one

Mar 27, 2021 at 10:54 AM Post #43 of 674
I just got my Powerman and hooked it up to the Formula S. Now on the Formula S instead of a solid white light it's flashing red/white. Does any know what this means?

Mar 27, 2021 at 11:16 AM Post #44 of 674
Unless they made a change it sounds like an issue. I'd shut it down, check your hook up, and if its correct send them an e-mail pronto. I just finished re-working my upstairs rig (the coolest and always the quietest during AC season) for summer and added another HP amp. Got my F/S P on and just that blue/white light is on and steady. Make sure the umbilical is on correctly. I purchased my units 11/2018.

Mar 27, 2021 at 11:57 AM Post #45 of 674
Unless they made a change it sounds like an issue. I'd shut it down, check your hook up, and if its correct send them an e-mail pronto. I just finished re-working my upstairs rig (the coolest and always the quietest during AC season) for summer and added another HP amp. Got my F/S P on and just that blue/white light is on and steady. Make sure the umbilical is on correctly. I purchased my units 11/2018.
Thanks, I'll do that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back